Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vrose04

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2019
Did you try the possible $10 solution in the post above yours?
I didn't because as far as I can tell, that $10 solution is the same thing as the python script. I put it into Automator like others have suggested so it runs with the little gear in the task bar.

Reactions: Kahakapao

Vu Man Chu

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
if you would like to pay 600$ to have it go away this is your last solution as the logic board runs about 450$ and the tool kit is about 50$ or you can pay apple to do it for ya but they may charge you more thats for sure.

vrose04

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2019
if you would like to pay 600$ to have it go away this is your last solution as the logic board runs about 450$ and the tool kit is about 50$ or you can pay apple to do it for ya but they may charge you more thats for sure.
A few pages back, farmerobot reported getting the logic board replaced and still having the shutdowns, so unfortunately it's not a guaranteed fix.https://forums.macrumors.com/members/farmerobot.1128579/

Vu Man Chu

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
those are really the only fixes that can be done, you can always order a logic board on ebay and if it doesnt work for ya you can always return it. otherwise you have a very expensive paperweight. good luck!

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
Strangely enough when I'm running Windows using bookcamp I don't get any shut downs hmm
Is this still the case?

Even with the python script, my Mac randomly shuts off. I tried Linux for a while, but it was the same. I understand Linux and macOS are both built upon Unix (?) which is why it happens regardless.

Vu Man Chu

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
from what i remember reading somewhere deep in the forum threads, the CPU core voltage usage is different on windows compared to the MacOS. MacOS uses a specific core that somehow causes the voltage issue which is why it crashes on MacOS and not on windows.

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
from what i remember reading somewhere deep in the forum threads, the CPU core voltage usage is different on windows compared to the MacOS. MacOS uses a specific core that somehow causes the voltage issue which is why it crashes on MacOS and not on windows.
Wouldn't it be possible to fix this on a macOS or Linux running Mac with this issue then? Otherwise, maybe it'd be worth the money to buy Windows for my Mac. It's been degraded to my girlfriend's laptop anyway.

Pavel Katkov

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2019
*** Found permanent Hardware fix ***

Folks, I thought that you might be interested in my recent find of what looks to be a permanent hardware fix to the infamous random shutdown issue.

TL; DR

Replaced the factory-installed Apple Samsung F-Type SSD (imprinted Model ID ends to /0A6) with an Apple Samsung G-Type SSD (Model ID ends to /0A4). Machine now behaves totally normal.

Full story

I bought a bunch of 512 GB Apple Samsung SSDs last week for resale, of which one was intended to be an upgrade for a 'random-shutdown' MacBook Pro Retina (15" Mid-2014; it worked OK with the Thunderbolt-Ethernet-Driver removed ... but then of course lacked the Thunderbolt Ethernet).

The MacBook had an Apple Samsung SM0256F (so an F-Type; Model ID MZ-JPU256T/0A6) installed when bought. Did blank out after a few seconds, fans spun up, followed by shutdown shortly thereafter. The known problem.

I first tested consecutively 4 pcs. Apple Samsung SM0512F (so again F-Type; Model ID MZ-JPU512T/0A6) - sudden shutdown pattern on each of them.

Then I tested 2 pcs. Apple Samsung SM0512G (note: G-Type!; Model IDs MZ-JPV5120/0A4 and MZ-JPV512S/0A4) ... and to my big surprise, no sudden shutdown with those installed. The MacBook behaved totally NORMAL!

Even better side effect is that according to Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, the G-types are significantly faster than the F-types.

G: ~ 1,320 MB/s Write & 1,500 MB/s Read
VS.
F: ~ 700 MB/s Write & 720 MB/s Read

I assume that the G-types have more PCIe channels, which perhaps draws a bit more power, thus likely prevents the CPU to cross that low-voltage threshold, which AFAIK causes the shutdown issue. See here for more info on the various Apple SSD models, wherein the PCIe channels differences are described -> https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades

It remains to be tested, if this only did the job in my particular random-shutdown MacBook or if it works for your MacBooks as well.

Hello!
I can confirm Hardware fix of this problem.
MBP 15 mid-2014 with 1tb ssd
Was problem with 'random-shutdown' (it worked OK with the Thunderbolt-Ethernet-Driver removed)
SSD was original MZ-KPU1T0T/0A6 - 1tb - 'random-shutdown'
After installing MZ-KPV1T00/0A4 - 1tb - problem is gone.
All work perfect without removing drivers on 0A4 ssd!
Bonus - write\read speed increased by 30\50 percents.

Thank you!

hill.evan

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2019
*** Found permanent Hardware fix ***

Folks, I thought that you might be interested in my recent find of what looks to be a permanent hardware fix to the infamous random shutdown issue.

TL; DR

Replaced the factory-installed Apple Samsung F-Type SSD (imprinted Model ID ends to /0A6) with an Apple Samsung G-Type SSD (Model ID ends to /0A4). Machine now behaves totally normal.

Full story

I bought a bunch of 512 GB Apple Samsung SSDs last week for resale, of which one was intended to be an upgrade for a 'random-shutdown' MacBook Pro Retina (15" Mid-2014; it worked OK with the Thunderbolt-Ethernet-Driver removed ... but then of course lacked the Thunderbolt Ethernet).

The MacBook had an Apple Samsung SM0256F (so an F-Type; Model ID MZ-JPU256T/0A6) installed when bought. Did blank out after a few seconds, fans spun up, followed by shutdown shortly thereafter. The known problem.

I first tested consecutively 4 pcs. Apple Samsung SM0512F (so again F-Type; Model ID MZ-JPU512T/0A6) - sudden shutdown pattern on each of them.

Then I tested 2 pcs. Apple Samsung SM0512G (note: G-Type!; Model IDs MZ-JPV5120/0A4 and MZ-JPV512S/0A4) ... and to my big surprise, no sudden shutdown with those installed. The MacBook behaved totally NORMAL!

Even better side effect is that according to Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, the G-types are significantly faster than the F-types.

G: ~ 1,320 MB/s Write & 1,500 MB/s Read
VS.
F: ~ 700 MB/s Write & 720 MB/s Read

I assume that the G-types have more PCIe channels, which perhaps draws a bit more power, thus likely prevents the CPU to cross that low-voltage threshold, which AFAIK causes the shutdown issue. See here for more info on the various Apple SSD models, wherein the PCIe channels differences are described -> https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades

It remains to be tested, if this only did the job in my particular random-shutdown MacBook or if it works for your MacBooks as well.

Did this end up working for you? I didn't notice the original post was 2014

Hello!
Was problem with 'random-shutdown' (it worked OK with the Thunderbolt-Ethernet-Driver removed)

Thank you!

You can confirm in what capacity? You tried it and are experiencing similar results? You're a technician?

Can anyone advise on how to remove the Thunderbolt - Ethernet Driver? Or am I missing a post that covers this?

Last edited by a moderator:

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
Hello!

Thank you!
Did your computer have the kind of shutdown where the screen goes blank, the fans spin up, and then it dies, or did it simply shutdown completely at random?

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
Black screen. Spin up fans. After 10 seconds shutdown. After manual turning on - no information about any problems.

Ah. Nothing remedies my shutdowns. There might be something else that's wrong with mine, since mine doesn't shutdown that way. It just dies. SSDs to my MBA 2013 seem rather expensive, so I'm probably not gonna try it.

hill.evan

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2019
Hello!

Thank you!

Last question - you posted this today. When did you actually perform the install? Can you confirm this works beyond 24 hours (temp)? Many, many thanks

Pavel Katkov

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2019
Last question - you posted this today. When did you actually perform the install? Can you confirm this works beyond 24 hours (temp)? Many, many thanks
I did it few days ago. Before replacing i just can't work - many shutdowns per day. After deleting drivers - no shutdowns, but i don't like this solution and i tried to replace ssd to A04 version and it's works for me. Now it is not nesessery to deleting drivers - no shutdowns!
But problem with shutdowns started one month ago. And it blocked my work. No hardware or programm changes before. Maybe i just start use external dell monitor throw thunderbolt. But shutdowns continued although without connected monitor.

samuelheinrich

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2017
basel
Hello!

Thank you!

thanks for sharing.

I'm having a mid2014 15" MBP and i used the "delete thunderbolt driver" method, which worked pretty well for me for over 1-2 years now.
unfortunatelly I'm experiencing shutdowns since the last 3 days, not very frequent so far 1/day but very annoying.

I immediatelly doublechecked that the AppleThunderbolt Driver is still deleted, which i can confirm.
I'm not quite sure if the shutdowns are related to the Thunderbolt issue or maybe just because the devices is now almost 5 years old.

If someone else, who uses the thunderbolt method, recently also run into shutdowns, please let me now.

In the meantime i guess i will order a SSD, to check out that solution as well.

amanjeetarora

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2019
the file doesn't exist, the random shutdown is happening on my MacBook Pro Late 2013 a1398 on MacOs 10.14.3. I tried running the command to disable the thunderbolt port but it says

AmanjeetSinghs-MacBook-Pro:~ amanjeetsingharora$ sudo mv

usage: mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target

mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... directory

AmanjeetSinghs-MacBook-Pro:~ amanjeetsingharora$ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext

-bash: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext: is a directory

AmanjeetSinghs-MacBook-Pro:~ amanjeetsingharora$ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK

-bash: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK: No such file or directory

please can you help.

hill.evan

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2019
thanks for sharing.

I'm having a mid2014 15" MBP and i used the "delete thunderbolt driver" method, which worked pretty well for me for over 1-2 years now.
unfortunatelly I'm experiencing shutdowns since the last 3 days, not very frequent so far 1/day but very annoying.

I immediatelly doublechecked that the AppleThunderbolt Driver is still deleted, which i can confirm.
I'm not quite sure if the shutdowns are related to the Thunderbolt issue or maybe just because the devices is now almost 5 years old.

If someone else, who uses the thunderbolt method, recently also run into shutdowns, please let me now.

In the meantime i guess i will order a SSD, to check out that solution as well.

After having multiple Apple & non-Apple technicians look into the issue, all confirm a failing logic board. I've now lost power to keyboard, trackpad, and both thunderbolt ports with no resolution

I have:

- SMC / NVRAM Resets - No Resolve
- Re-installed OS X - No Resolve
- New Battery + Charger - No Resolve

The shutdowns seem to occur:

- Whenever the CPU/GPU are pushed (ie rendering video or graphics intensive)
- On battery power
- Still can happen randomly
- Running fans at a moderate speed seems to help increase time between shut downs, but not if graphic intensive programs are running

Not investing more money into this one I don't think, and seriously contemplating a Dell XPS after looking at price of new MBP..

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
Not investing more money into this one I don't think, and seriously contemplating a Dell XPS after looking at price of new MBP..

If you're ready to switch to a Dell, perhaps try running Windows on your existing Mac — some have said the issue goes away when running Windows on their Macs. Or get a refurbished Mac. I went with a refurbished 2015 — all the ports, magsafe, the good keyboard, and much cheaper than the newer Macs.

hill.evan

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2019
After having multiple Apple & non-Apple technicians look into the issue, all confirm a failing logic board. I've now lost power to keyboard, trackpad, and both thunderbolt ports with no resolution

I have:

- SMC / NVRAM Resets - No Resolve
- Re-installed OS X - No Resolve
- New Battery + Charger - No Resolve

The shutdowns seem to occur:

- Whenever the CPU/GPU are pushed (ie rendering video or graphics intensive)
- On battery power
- Still can happen randomly
- Running fans at a moderate speed seems to help increase time between shut downs, but not if graphic intensive programs are running

Update: As a last ditch effort I just tried installing the NOCRASHMBP Mod.. It's been three hours of doing CPU/GPU intensive video renders in FCP and no shut downs...

Unfortunately, my keyboard/trackpad/thunderbolt still aren't functioning but one apple problem at a time!

hill.evan

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2019
Update: As a last ditch effort I just tried installing the NOCRASHMBP Mod.. It's been three hours of doing CPU/GPU intensive video renders in FCP and no shut downs...

Unfortunately, my keyboard/trackpad/thunderbolt still aren't functioning but one apple problem at a time!

Day number two with Mod (python script) and no crashes, or major CPU throttling to my knowledge. Decent fix for $10

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
Can confirm. Replaced my original MZ-JPU512T/0A6 (500GB) with an NVMe OWC Aura Pro X (480GB), and have had no issues since then. First tested with a fresh install of High Sierra, then upgraded to Mojave and after some testing restored my TimeMachine backup and re-enabled Thunderbolt kext. Will report back if any issues occur.
How do you find out which hard drives match your MacBook? I have a MacBook Air 2013 13".

MarkInDallas

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2019
Ah. Nothing remedies my shutdowns. There might be something else that's wrong with mine, since mine doesn't shutdown that way. It just dies. SSDs to my MBA 2013 seem rather expensive, so I'm probably not gonna try it.

Been trying to solve my random shut downs for months. Finally did by following the instructions in this thread to disable my thunderbolt ethernet driver.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/433516/MacBook+Pro+Shuts+down+randomly#answer545192

Here's the steps they outline:

1) reboot with CMD+R pressed.

2) open Terminal

3) sudo csrutil disable

4) reboot in normal mode

5) sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK

6) reboot with CMD+R pressed

7) csrutil enable

8) reboot and forget about problem

Good Luck!

Reactions: bivalvegruff

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
Been trying to solve my random shut downs for months. Finally did by following the instructions in this thread to disable my thunderbolt ethernet driver.
Thanks! This seems to have made it better, but shutdowns still happen, albeit less frequently. My MBA also runs a python script to prevent it from going into sleep. I probably need to either switch out the hard drive or run Windows (ugh).

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
Well, I appear to be late to this party. I've been using my MBP 15" Retina mid-2014, new from Apple in 2014. I've gone through all the OS upgrades from Mavericks to Mojave (upgraded to Mojave in January) and haven't had issues until now.

Starting last Saturday, April 13, I started experiencing random shutdowns. At first, it only happened when on battery power and since my battery was old with over 1200 charge cycles, and not giving me more than 90 minutes of run time, I figured it was the battery and paid Apple to replace it. It didn't help.

I've since observed that the shutdowns also happen while on AC power, but much less frequently. Rebooting to Safe Mode does not help. Re-installing the OS (Mojave) does not help.

I just tried removing the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext driver and will report back on progress. (Over an hour so far without a shutdown.)

Taking some solace in knowing I'm not alone. Thanks for all the great info here.

One other thing: has anyone noticed that when the shutdowns happen they seem to come in spurts?

For example, I'll get excited because I can go for a whopping 2.5 hours. But then suddenly it shuts down. When this happens and I restart immediately, it'll shut down again very quickly (within 2-5 minutes), and then again, and again, and again, all within 2-5 minutes of booting up. Sometimes it shuts down again so quickly I can't even restart what I was doing when it shut down. After an episode of that, I'll be able to get another 45-90 minutes of work done.
[doublepost=1555903642][/doublepost]
I just tried removing the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext driver and will report back on progress. (Over an hour so far without a shutdown.)

That didn't take long. About 1 hour, 25 minutes, and boom! Disabling the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext driver did not help in my case.

Last edited:

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
That didn't take long. About 1 hour, 25 minutes, and boom! Disabling the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext driver did not help in my case.

Quick update here in case anyone is still following this thread:

TL;DR: Correction: disabling the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext driver WORKED for me!

In my haste, I did not correctly follow the procedure to disable the driver. Once I realized this and carefully went through the procedures to rename "AppleThunderboltNHI.kext" to "AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK" described in this thread, I've not experienced a crash.

So far, I've been running for 32 hours without a crash. Previously, the longest I've been able to go without a crash is about 4 hours, and on average about 60 minutes.

To anyone else still having issues with sudden shutdowns on MacBook Pro Retina (ca 2013-2015), disabling the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext still appears to work!

The correct procedures I followed are:

1) reboot with CMD+R pressed.

2) open Terminal

3) sudo csrutil disable [NOTE: sudo not really necessary here]

4) reboot in normal mode

5) sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK

6) reboot with CMD+R pressed

7) csrutil enable

8) reboot and forget about problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.