Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Help with Apple SE - dropped in water, dried out, now turns on...and then off...
renderTimingPixel.png

So I am attempted to recover contacts, images etc from this phone and I don't know how I can accomplish this. Any ideas. It does turn on for a sec and then immediately turns off.

Any suggestions for saving the stuff on the phone? And no, it has not been synced or backed up to the cloud.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It sounds harsh, but there is probably nothing you can do. Maybe it’ll dry out more over time. Try again in a week.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You never know, but my understanding is that after a dip, you should always replace the battery. That is worth a try if the data is important to you.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I am hoping the opening and replacement of the battery isn't too complicated.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If the data is important to you, get it to a repair shop. Without a thorough cleaning, corrosion is still happening. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to retrieve data.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
If you haven't opened it it's probably not dry. Open and dry it completely! If it still doesn't work then it time to replace it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Do you think changing the battery will help?

Absolutely not. I know I’m rather late to this thread, but do not do that. If it’s been submerged in water, by charging the device, all you’re doing is causing a short circuit when electricity is being formulated to the battery controller. If it powers on, that’s one thing, but if you have enough battery that’s sufficient to have it looked at by a repair shop, that would be the only solution I can offer.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Help with Apple SE - dropped in water, dried out, now turns on...and then off...
renderTimingPixel.png

So I am attempted to recover contacts, images etc from this phone and I don't know how I can accomplish this. Any ideas. It does turn on for a sec and then immediately turns off.

Any suggestions for saving the stuff on the phone? And no, it has not been synced or backed up to the cloud.

Run a blow dryer on the phone. Heat that aluminum body up really good for a while, let it get hot, then it’ll cook off any moisture inside of the phone.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
presently, it detects the phone in iTunes because it knows the serial number, but the Update has failed. The contacts and pics are important, so I guess there isn't anything else I can do but take it to a repair shop?

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
presently, it detects the phone in iTunes because it knows the serial number, but the Update has failed. The contacts and pics are important, so I guess there isn't anything else I can do but take it to a repair shop?
Contacts and pics are part of the iCloud backup. Try to restore to another device and you will recover everything you lost since the last backup.

Samuel79

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
when was the last time it was backed up you could try and see if you have one as this and or signing into icloud from another device may let you retrieve some stuff

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Pack it in rice.

Worked for my good camera left overnight in a driving rain.

Restored full function after two weeks in sealed container filled with dry rice. a2

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I had something not exactly the same but similar with my 5C about a year ago, where after damage, my screen was totally black but when I plugged it in it would recognize the phone.

Even tho the computer would recognize the phone, it wouldnt backup the phone or let me pull data off the phone.

I had no backups of anything, so I was worried.

I took it to apple and they refused to repair it. Dont even understand that one. Walking out dejected I went to one of those mall kiosk screen repair places and they put on some cheap aftermarket screen and the phone worked. Got my data off the phone.

Moral of my story was there is some kind of logic board associated with the screen itself and repairing a damaged component may be all you need to do to recover your data from the actual phone memory

good luck, dont give up e-z, alot of ppl here will tell you to forget it. dont. keep trying to find a way

On a side note, a year before that i dropped my 5C in water and it was totally dead. At first when I tried using it, it would act all crazy, screen would make weird shapes, nothing really worked. I let it dry i mean fully dry in the sun for a good day or 2 and it did come back to life to my surprise.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Use google gmail to save contacts, dropbox or box or google drive or one drive for files, google photos for pics and lose nothing...in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.