Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just checked the Australian apple store and the luggage tag and some bag charms are still available for sale for pick up. They definitely haven’t pulled it and it’s probably just stock shortages.
Probably an isolated incident that is somehow “news” now.

What I'm guessing happened is that someone reached out to 9to5Mac with the anecdote about the pin falling out of his key ring, 9to5Mac checked the website and saw that all the keychains and luggage tags are "currently unavailable" for online order (which they have been for almost 2 weeks in the US), and jumped to the conclusion that Apple had pulled them because of "quality control" issues.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
We’d probably have seen more posts here if it were widespread. Instead, this thread went dormant for almost 2 weeks. My guess is that Apple simply sold out of the initial run. The key ring has been unavailable to order online in almost 2 weeks in the US, though some stores still had them in stock until a few days ago.
I think this is the second run. It was sold out for a while, then I saw it on Apple.com again. I post a message up thread. I ended up ordering the orange and the blue. I feel bad returning one of them, but there aren't any demos in store. I like blue, but in photos this blue looks more black. And the orange looks very bright. I may get and use some Loctite glue for the screw to be sure it won't get undone. I also think it might be too long as compared to Apple's key ring holder.

EpicHeartache74

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2021
In the case of a keychain, I'm going to disagree. 350 dollars is kind of ridiculous. I'm not knocking anyone from spending their own money on this and to each his own but in the case of a keychain. I don't see how there could be enough difference in quality to warrant such an extravagant price

I'm not trying to win an argument or anything silly like that but rather give my opinion that you're paying for the name - just my adjusted for inflation .02
Yeah you’re 100% right the workmanship stilll would not justify this pricing. The price point will be set by Hermés and it the elitists that will pay for the branding. If you saw the Unbox Therapy vid on the Hermés airtag it soon becomes apparent with sofas and handbags in the matching leather trims!

Reactions: maflynn

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
I don’t have the orange one but I would imagine it’s the same as the orange swift leather single tour for the watch.
The indigo is very dark and is close to black. This is paired with a leather case for my car key which is black.
View attachment 1772977
Surprised that with such a “ Premium” product that the stitching on the fob is asymmetrical, I’d expect it to be perfect if I was spending that sort of money.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Amazon $7.50 ;)

Attachments

• DFE16539-F323-4329-A612-8F4A66AC5EF5.jpeg
    DFE16539-F323-4329-A612-8F4A66AC5EF5.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 453

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
How's your AirTag keychain holding out and how long have you had it? Also, what color do you have? Does the orange get dirty easily? Blue looks more subdued than the orange, but perhaps classier? My AirTag finally arrived, and it's about two weeks later than Apple estimated, so I've been waiting, I guess, almost two months. Not sure if I'm going to keep it. The leather is very soft which is great, but it's longer than the Apple AirTag Keychain. And I have grown used to the red Apple Keychain.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How's your AirTag keychain holding out and how long have you had it? Also, what color do you have? Does the orange get dirty easily? Blue looks more subdued than the orange, but perhaps classier? My AirTag finally arrived, and it's about two weeks later than Apple estimated, so I've been waiting, I guess, almost two months. Not sure if I'm going to keep it. The leather is very soft which is great, but it's longer than the Apple AirTag Keychain. And I have grown used to the red Apple Keychain.
I’ve had the blue AirTag since Day 1. It has held up well.

Reactions: Luba

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I have both the indigo and fauve AirTag since Day 1 and they've both held up well.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My key ring has held up very well. I’m surprised they are still sold out. Demand must have been great compared to initial supply.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
My key ring has held up very well. I’m surprised they are still sold out. Demand must have been great compared to initial supply.
Hermès got rid of the $700 tag from their website as well.

supply chains still seem impacted by covid. Including shipping.

kobezzz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2021
Air Tag Hermès Bleu Indigo very nice color.
I'll install it soon
among other things, if I can, it will remain in its practical LV key ring. one of the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boardiesboi

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
Hermès acknowledged in their latest investor conference, that they have supply constraints. They prioritise quality over quantity and are growing organically with a goal of 8% growth rate per year. Demand from customers who are new to Hermès (as compared to "classic" Hermès clients) is strong. Hermès is investing in new workshops and employees and training. Don't expect supply constraints to ease anytime soon.

LOL even their share price is high, but a great investment so far.
Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 13.09.37.png

Last edited:

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018
Wasn’t expecting this! The gold looks almost identical to Fauve.
With a different tone due to different leather type.

- Fauve color is a bit darker than Gold and only used for Barenia leather.
- There's also a "Natural" color used for Butler leather that has similar look.
- Gold look different on different skin type, it looks more "gold" on Epsom/Evercolor leather but more "brown" on Swift/TC/Togo leather.
- Barenia will get darker much faster though time but won't developer cracks as easy as other leather types. It absorb oil from the nearby environment and looks shinny after some time. It could be the best leather that Hermès offers.
- Epsom/Evercolor is more robust but hard and feels plastic-ish compares to TC/Togo, as its cell texture were artificially created, and the color change much slower than others.
- Swift is smooth with no texture.

e.g. Here's a Gold TC leather bag with AirTag in Fauve Barenia leather and charm in Orange Swift:

IMG_3001.png

Here is Natural Butler (left) and Gold Epsom:

0D332EEC-694C-4A80-93B4-50E16C8A3234 2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.