Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Sorensen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Columbia, Maryland
Why can’t Apple put that creativity into tougher iPads? We are human. We drop things. Cases help, but there will be those times they are out of the case. Expensive iPads should be built to survive a fall from table height without a cracked screen or warped outcome. It should not have to be noticeably heavier or bulkier. Come on Apple. With all your ingenuity it can’t and shouldn’t be that difficult.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Why can’t Apple put that creativity into tougher iPads? We are human. We drop things. Cases help, but there will be those times they are out of the case. Expensive iPads should be built to survive a fall from table height without a cracked screen or warped outcome. It should not have to be noticeably heavier or bulkier. Come on Apple. With all your ingenuity it can’t and shouldn’t be that difficult.
I’m sure the engineers could use your expertise in this matter—or perhaps they’ve never ever thought of this themselves!!!

You should send Mr. Cook an email straightaway.

There might even be a position open now that Sir Ive has departed.

Physics schmysics.

Steve Sorensen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Columbia, Maryland
I suspect that bottom line may be more important. They could be a bit heavier or bulkier. So what? A lot of customers without cracked screens or warped casings from a short fall.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Honestly the iPad's breaking or bending or whatnot don't bother me as much, since the Air 1 they have been easy as butter to bend or warp. I would like Apple to use 7000 Aluminum (but not just for toughness) but because it actually looks cooler than regular aluminum... (doesn't have the manufacturing lines showing the aluminum was stretched and the finish just looks nicer.) The other thing I want is Apple to start treating iPads the same as iPhones in terms of how they update, Do "S" updates where they leave the outside alone but boost the internals a ton. Sure Apple kind of did that with the new Pros, but I want more. lol
I don't worry about the bending as much as I worry about the iPad's displays having yellow-ing, light bleed, or glue coming off. They need to find better materials in general for certain parts. *Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 12.9" iPad Pro 3rd gen. And hope to keep him for a few years before grabbing another model. But it would be nice for Apple to take a look at the iPads and just give them ALL the premium materials they do for iPhones or Macs.

Steve Sorensen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Columbia, Maryland
Asking Apple to save you from yourself would make the iPad very expensive. It is more cost effective for you to take responsibility, instead of expecting Apple to save you from the fall.
And I did have my cover off at the time. So ...
It would be nice to see how Apple responds, if at all, to future bends and cracks. The iPad 12.9 is really susceptible.

Last edited:

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Technically once they switch to OLED Displays in 2022 they can make iPads even thinner. Lol

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca

I’ve every full sized iPad with the exception of iPad 4. Even owned 2 minis. I scratched one screen. i haven’t broken any of the others. I travel with them daily. Even use them out in the field doing relief aid work. I just haven’t had issues with iPad not being built strong enough. I have cracked an iPhone screen twice. Both times where my fault.

Apple care is your friend. Buy it and all your worries float away.

Reactions: bensisko

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple chose thinness over strength. I don't know if Apple silently updated their manufacturing process to strengthen the case, or they will if they do a spec bump in the fall. I'm debating whether to get a IPP now and get the beats headphones (admittedly I don't need them), or wait till the fall and hope for the best.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Apple’s obsession with thin and smaller bezels do nothing for durability.

Even your best case with not protect you from the laws of physics if it lands just right.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Even your best case with not protect you from the laws of physics if it lands just right.
The commonality of the bends - at least the many reports of bends is the use of a backpack. I think using a different carrying case, whether its messenger or a brief case, increases the odds of the iPad not bending.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
You should be on the engineering team! :D

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
This is where opposable thumbs come in useful. Don’t drop things and they won’t break ;)

You can’t cheat gravity. The only way to make them invincible form drop height is to make them weightless and/or made from materials unknown to man.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Ratsaremyfreinds

macrumors regular
May 12, 2019
i kinda like them being super thin .but then again i dont drop stuff. i think it comes from growing up poor. i knew if i droped it i wont have a new one for a long time

Reactions: simonmet

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Six of my 7 grandkids have iPads, and have had several since I’ve upgraded them a couple times. My 4yo grandson is on the autistic spectrum. He STANDS on his - screen side up - probably at least once a day. No cracks.

Now, they are all in those rubber cases that protect the back and edges really well, and have glass screen protectors on the fronts, but that cost me about $20 total per iPad - worth it. Certainly we have taught the older ones to have respect for their devices, so generally they take pretty good care of them, but they ARE kids.

My 11” pro has a keyboard folio on it, and a matte screen cover. I throw it in my overnight bag every time I go on a trip. No bends or breaks thus far.

I’m pretty impressed with the overall durability of the iPad.

Reactions: willmtaylor

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Not just Apple, but all of the tablet and smart phone manufacturers. All those devices are made to be carried around - and naturally dropped and bumped and even sat on (tell me about it!) occasionally, and most people buy a case and screen protector to protect them, so that totally negates the thinness and lightness factor anyway. So why not just make them out of stronger material with a good non slip rubberized finish and a factory supplied screen protector, ruggedize them a little bit? But that would cut into the accident protection insurance, and protective case, and screen protector, and screen repair businesses - and of course selling more tablets and phones to replace all the broken ones. Meanwhile they're making them out of beer can grade aluminum and glass!

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I think we, as somewhat spoiled consumers, are asking a bit too much. As stated earlier, physics and the laws of materials can only go so far. Yet we want our electronics to be virtually without noticeable weight and as thin as a sheet of paper. Then we complain when Apple satisfies our wants but they don't hold up to a drop on the ground.

I myself have always preferred the heft and solidity of the regular iPad. Yes, a little heavier and yes a little thicker, but much less fear of damage. Also no bending ever. And it does everything beautifully.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
I think we, as somewhat spoiled consumers, are asking a bit too much. As stated earlier, physics and the laws of materials can only go so far. Yet we want our electronics to be virtually without noticeable weight and as thin as a sheet of paper. Then we complain when Apple satisfies our wants but they don't hold up to a drop on the ground.

I myself have always preferred the heft and solidity of the regular iPad. Yes, a little heavier and yes a little thicker, but much less fear of damage. Also no bending ever. And it does everything beautifully.

No we don't. If we did we wouldn't be festooning our phones and tablets with strong cases and screen protectors.

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
No we don't. If we did we wouldn't be festooning our phones and tablets with strong cases and screen protectors.

Yes we really do. Otherwise Apple wouldn't be making them thinner and lighter every year to the point they are today. Festooning with strong cases is only a last ditch defensive reaction to potential damage from this.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Yes we really do. Otherwise Apple wouldn't be making them thinner and lighter every year to the point they are today. Festooning with strong cases is only a last ditch defensive reaction to potential damage from this.

A marketing gimmick that few, if any, people want. Built in obsolescence too. Breaks easier = sell more new ones; Sell lots of cases and screen protectors; and damage insurance policies; and expensive screen repairs = $$$.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
A marketing gimmick that few, if any, people want. Built in obsolescence too. Breaks easier = sell more new ones; Sell lots of cases and screen protectors; and damage insurance policies; and expensive screen repairs = $$$.

Considering all the complaints about how “bulky” the XR is, I’d have to disagree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.