Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
I would love to see your data backing up that statement.

Everybody who uses a case and a screen protector is deliberately making it heavier and bulkier so as to make it more practical. What percentage do that? There's your answer then.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
A marketing gimmick that few, if any, people want. Built in obsolescence too. Breaks easier = sell more new ones; Sell lots of cases and screen protectors; and damage insurance policies; and expensive screen repairs = $$$.

I'm just curious about your point of view on this. If, as you say, thinner and lighter is just a marketing gimmick that only few want, why do we constantly see posts from folks saying they love their Pros for their thin and lightweight characteristics? On top of that, people criticize the base iPad as being too bulky and heavy. I see these comments here all the time.

Reactions: bensisko

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Everybody who uses a case and a screen protector is deliberately making it heavier and bulkier so as to make it more practical. What percentage do that? There's your answer then.

I put a case on every device for protection irregardless of its uncovered size/bulk. Why would I want it even heavier? I'm perfectly happy with my 2018 12.9 Pro.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
I'm just curious about your point of view on this. If, as you say, thinner and lighter is just a marketing gimmick that only few want, why do we constantly see posts from folks saying they love their Pros for their thin and lightweight characteristics? On top of that, people criticize the base iPad as being too bulky and heavy. I see these comments here all the time.

Do those people then use their slippery tablets without a case or screen protector? Some do but I never would, and once you put on those things you are making it heavier and bulkier anyway. What I'm saying is I'd like them to come from the factory a little heavier and bulkier but much more sturdy and damage resistant. To me that seems like common sense. To the marketing guys it seems like a loss of revenue.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
D7F47F90-F1E9-43C0-833F-5EE092766FFC.jpeg

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

Sorry but there are a LOT of reasons people buy cases and not all of them are protection. For some, it’s just default and would buy one regardless. For others it’s a fashion/preference (having a Disney case or a color preference). Still others it’s about the right feel.

The other hole i’ll punch in your statement is that many people deliberately seek out a case that provides screen protection, something that making the device heavier and bulkier wouldn’t affect.

Let’s also not forget those that buy a case/protector that is as thin and light as possible so they’re NOT adding excessive bulk.

Oh yeah, and there are the folks who want a keyboard.

Granted there are some who want a heavier and bulkier device, but you can’t take everybody who buys a case and say they all want a heavier bulkier device.

I bought a folio case for my iPad, but it’s pretty much ONLY used when it’s in my bag. Otherwise I LOVE that it’s thin and light.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
"Sorry but there are a LOT of reasons people buy cases and not all of them are protection. "

Me, I ONLY buy a case and a screen protector for protection since they are making tablets and phones out of slippery beer can grade aluminum and glass, and Gorilla Glass screens scratch too. I would think that applies to most people. We ought to set up a poll here and ask.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
"Sorry but there are a LOT of reasons people buy cases and not all of them are protection. "

Me, I ONLY buy a case and a screen protector for protection since they are making tablets and phones out of slippery beer can grade aluminum and glass, and Gorilla Glass screens scratch too. I would think that applies to most people. We ought to set up a poll here and ask.

I bought cases long before devices got thin.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

Making the device thicker and heavier is not going to prevent damage to the screen. Even if you try to argue that it would prevent drops (it won’t) there are still TONS of ways a screen will get damaged and it won’t prevent people from buying cases for their devices.

The Gorilla Glass Apple uses is pretty tough and has advanced quite a bit from the days of the original iPad and iPhone. The next step, I suppose, would be Crystal Sapphire, but the expense of using Crystal Sapphire on an iPhone, let alone an iPad, would be astounding (at least as it stands).

Jessemtz25

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Colorado
I suspect that bottom line may be more important. They could be a bit heavier or bulkier. So what? A lot of customers without cracked screens or warped casings from a short fall.
As an adult that knows not to drop electronic devices I'd rather them the way they are. I don't want a heavier iPad because you're a butterfingers.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Why can’t Apple put that creativity into tougher iPads? We are human. We drop things. Cases help, but there will be those times they are out of the case. Expensive iPads should be built to survive a fall from table height without a cracked screen or warped outcome. It should not have to be noticeably heavier or bulkier. Come on Apple. With all your ingenuity it can’t and shouldn’t be that difficult.

Of course. A good start would be to use better materials than super cheap slippery beer can grade alumium. For the prices they charge carbon fiber or magnesium should be used, as well as a factory supplied screen protector. That would add little if any extra weight and bulk and might well make it safely usable without an added case, so it would really be lighter and less bulky!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
super cheap slippery beer can grade alumium.
I don't thik apple is using beer can grade aluminum
I'm not metallurgist but this thread talks about the type of alu being used

the new iPad Pro's are 7000 series aluminum?

or the prices they charge carbon fiber or magnesium should be used,
I'd love to see Apple embrace Magnesium for added strength

as well as a factory supplied screen protector.
Is the screen more susceptible to breaking? My 10.5 seems sturdy? I have a screen protector on my phone but not my iPad (knocks on wood).

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I think we, as somewhat spoiled consumers, are asking a bit too much. As stated earlier, physics and the laws of materials can only go so far. Yet we want our electronics to be virtually without noticeable weight and as thin as a sheet of paper. Then we complain when Apple satisfies our wants but they don't hold up to a drop on the ground.

I myself have always preferred the heft and solidity of the regular iPad. Yes, a little heavier and yes a little thicker, but much less fear of damage. Also no bending ever. And it does everything beautifully.

Depends how you make the device thin. Samsung made the S5e thinner and lighter than the iPad Pro by using an OLED screen (which doesn't need a backlight layer).

Apple didn't want to pay for OLED so just made the protective glass layer on top of their LCD thinner. Less durable and still thicker, but cheaper (for Apple).

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Depends how you make the device thin. Samsung made the S5e thinner and lighter than the iPad Pro by using an OLED screen (which doesn't need a backlight layer).

Apple didn't want to pay for OLED so just made the protective glass layer on top of their LCD thinner. Less durable and still thicker, but cheaper (for Apple).

Interesting point, especially Samsung's approach. In a way, it's a shame Apple doesn't seem to draw the line sooner between thinner and lighter versus more and more vulnerable. It seems to be the quest to satisfy the consumer while being as cost effective (read profit) as possible.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I'm just curious about your point of view on this. If, as you say, thinner and lighter is just a marketing gimmick that only few want,

They meant "what most people on this forum want". Apple, of course, knows that thin and light sells, otherwise they wouldn't pursue thinner and lighter devices for years. After all, profit is their main goal, if only "a few" customers wanted that, Apple would make thicker devices. If anything, they would be cheaper to design and make.

Don't get fooled, thin devices sell better. Personally, I want the biggest screen on the smallest device possible.
[doublepost=1563280486][/doublepost]
Do those people then use their slippery tablets without a case or screen protector? Some do but I never would, and once you put on those things you are making it heavier and bulkier anyway. What I'm saying is I'd like them to come from the factory a little heavier and bulkier but much more sturdy and damage resistant. To me that seems like common sense. To the marketing guys it seems like a loss of revenue.

I'm not disagreeing with the "make it sturdy and resistant" part, but obviously people outside this forum want thinner devices - even if they say they don't. Otherwise, Apple wouldn't try to make them as thin and light as possible. I mean - just look at it this way: size and weight was the number one complaint for the 12.9" iPad. People were literally "I like the big screen, but the device is just too big and heavy". Apple is doing what people want - trying to make it as small as possible. 25% smaller volume and lighter but with the same screen? That's what people asked for. Now, that doesn't mean the iPad should be fragile as a result - but, as I keep saying - I don't think it is. I've been treating mine normally for the past 6-7 months and it's the same as the first day I got it.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
They meant "what most people on this forum want". Apple, of course, knows that thin and light sells, otherwise they wouldn't pursue thinner and lighter devices for years. After all, profit is their main goal, if only "a few" customers wanted that, Apple would make thicker devices. If anything, they would be cheaper to design and make.

Don't get fooled, thin devices sell better. Personally, I want the biggest screen on the smallest device possible.
[doublepost=1563280486][/doublepost]

I'm not disagreeing with the "make it sturdy and resistant" part, but obviously people outside this forum want thinner devices - even if they say they don't. Otherwise, Apple wouldn't try to make them as thin and light as possible. I mean - just look at it this way: size and weight was the number one complaint for the 12.9" iPad. People were literally "I like the big screen, but the device is just too big and heavy". Apple is doing what people want - trying to make it as small as possible. 25% smaller volume and lighter but with the same screen? That's what people asked for. Now, that doesn't mean the iPad should be fragile as a result - but, as I keep saying - I don't think it is. I've been treating mine normally for the past 6-7 months and it's the same as the first day I got it.

I liked my Air 2 and still have the 10.5 Pro but wanted the larger screen of the 12.9 but I didn't buy it until Apple made the overall footprint smaller and the device lighter - earlier incarnations were just too large and heavy for my taste. And my 2018 12.9 has held up nicely.

Reactions: aevan

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I liked my Air 2 and still have the 10.5 Pro but wanted the larger screen of the 12.9 but I didn't buy it until Apple made the overall footprint smaller and the device lighter - earlier incarnations were just too large and heavy for my taste. And my 2018 12.9 has held up nicely.

Yup. And you're not the only one.
[doublepost=1563283042][/doublepost]
I bought a folio case for my iPad, but it’s pretty much ONLY used when it’s in my bag. Otherwise I LOVE that it’s thin and light.

Agreed. And as the captain of the USS Defiant you know that small doesn't mean weak :)

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have personally bought cases for every device I’ve ever had, from the first iPad and phone I ever had. Heck I remember taking all 4 of my kids (teens at the time) to get iPhone 3Gs, and spending an arm and a leg on otter box cases to put on them. We used those things through several generations of phones.

For me it’s about protection from drops to a degree, but also about protection from scratches and scrapes from regular use. I like that if my screen protector on my phone gets scuffed up, I can change to a new one. If my actual screen were to get scratched, scuffed or, god-forbid cracked, I’d have to go get it replaced immediately.

I may go over the top, but I take care of my things in general, and like them to stay looking nice and new as long as possible.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Why can’t Apple put that creativity into tougher iPads? We are human. We drop things. Cases help, but there will be those times they are out of the case. Expensive iPads should be built to survive a fall from table height without a cracked screen or warped outcome. It should not have to be noticeably heavier or bulkier..

And I want a pony!

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX

Ok, then you MUST believe most people want soldered in components on mac’s, right? That’s why they do it, right? Non changeable batteries in everything?

They do not have to be soldered in to be thin, connectors can be thinner than the components and very small. The size of sa solder joint.

Don’t be fooled, it’s about money but in a way different than how you are thinking.

One would have to be blind to not see it’s all about up selling based on very low storage/memory entry level and non upgradability. Yes, profit is their main goal.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Ok, then you MUST believe most people want soldered in components on mac’s, right? That’s why they do it, right? Non changeable batteries in everything?

They do not have to be soldered in to be thin, connectors can be thinner than the components and very small. The size of sa solder joint.

Don’t be fooled, it’s about money but in a way different than how you are thinking.

One would have to be blind to not see it’s all about up selling based on very low storage/memory entry level and non upgradability. Yes, profit is their main goal.

A business is concerned about making a profit??? Stop the press!!! This expose should be on the front page of the Times!

To your point though, it IS about profitability - if people cared enough they would stop buying and Apple would change. People still buy Macs so really they only care enough to complain on message boards.

Reactions: ericwn and sparksd

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
A business is concerned about making a profit??? Stop the press!!! This expose should be on the front page of the Times!

To your point though, it IS about profitability - if people cared enough they would stop buying and Apple would change. People still buy Macs so really they only care enough to complain on message boards.

I was replying to someone else that said apple made stuff thin because people wanted it that way. It’s about profit, it always is and some like to believe apple is different.

Insinuating I think that’s something new just means you do not understand the conversation. I am retired and damn well knows how all companies work (even apple) or otherwise they would not be in business.

You are half right about the last paragraph. We just got 1tb 12.9 ipad pro’s to last hopefully many years and I still have my last mac......a 2012. No more. Everyone else in the household have gone to windows.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I was replying to someone else that said apple made stuff thin because people wanted it that way. It’s about profit, it always is and some like to believe apple is different.

Insinuating I think that’s something new just means you do not understand the conversation. I am retired and damn well knows how all companies work (even apple) or otherwise they would not be in business.

It was more intended to point out how ridiculous it is to think that profit is the ONLY reason to do things. It’s not. There are considerations in Design, engineering, marketability, etc.

You say soldiering parts is about increasing profit - have you ever considered it being about reducing variability? Apple has made a big practice out of being able to squeeze every ounce of efficiency out of components and the less variation they have to account for on the hardware side the more they can do on the software side.

I think it would a huge mistake to think that Apple doesn’t know what it’s customers want - and not just the ones on the message boards.

You are half right about the last paragraph. We just got 1tb 12.9 ipad pro’s to last hopefully many years and I still have my last mac......a 2012. No more. Everyone else in the household have gone to windows.

I’m glad you’re switching to non-Apple PCs - there are far more options to buy from where you can find exactly what you want - though I would point out that you’re not free from non-user upgradable machines entirely on the Windows side. There are LOTS of PC manufacturers that are making laptops and tablets the same way Apple makes them (including Microsoft!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.