Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoShLK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2021
I am a newbie to macOS and would like to hide file extensions in "Finder" (“Show all filename extensions" under Finder > Preferences > Advanced is already disabled.)

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I am a newbie to macOS and would like to hide file extensions in "Finder" (“Show all filename extensions" under Finder > Preferences > Advanced is already disabled.)

If the option you mentioned is already disabled, then the "extension" you're seeing is likely part of the actual file name. In other words, if you have extensions turned off and see a file named my-document.docx, it's really my-document.docx.docx

So try deleting the "extension" that you see now, and that should work. If you have a ton of files that need to be renamed, then I'd highly recommend an app called Name Mangler (one of my favorite Mac apps that I use constantly!).

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Odd files often creep through (for reasons I know not). The setting is per file, and can be set via selecting the file and then cmd+I (or right-clicking on it and then Get Info).

Reactions: colourfastt

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The setting is per file, and can be set via selecting the file and then cmd+I (or right-clicking on it and then Get Info).

This is an important distinction that I didn't realize when I replied yesterday. What I said could be true, but according to Apple, if you have "show all filename extensions" selected, it FORCES all extensions to show, even if an individual file is set to hide it's extension. On the other hand, if you DON'T have "show all filename extensions" selected, then only individual files that are set to show their extension will.

So since the OP does NOT have "show all filename extensions" selected, then either the files that he's seeing extensions on are individually set to show extensions, or the extension could be part of the filename itself and not an actual extension. He will need to cmd+I each file to find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.