Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
London
Anyone else has any issues with an update from Sierra to High Sierra? My MacBook will no longer boot nor will it see my SSD.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
First use Disk Utility to format/partition the drive. DU will see it.
[doublepost=1506421359][/doublepost]Hold down the Cmd+ Shift + Alt + R buttons. to download the Sierra recovery

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
London
If the ssd is dead you wouldnt be able to reach recovery mode so..

Oh.. maybe it is there then, I do have a phone call with an Apple Engineer tonight, just wondered if anyone else had this issue, very strange as it was working fine before!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
What year is the MBPro?

Platter-based hard drives often give some indication of impending failure, BUT...
... when an SSD fails, it can just "go dark" all at once -- never to return...

One other thought:
IF you had a bootable cloned backup of your internal drive close-at-hand, you would not be in the pickle that you are right now.
You could have been back-up-and-running in about 2 minutes.

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
London
OP:
What year is the MBPro?

Platter-based hard drives often give some indication of impending failure, BUT...
... when an SSD fails, it can just "go dark" all at once -- never to return...

One other thought:
IF you had a bootable cloned backup of your internal drive close-at-hand, you would not be in the pickle that you are right now.
You could have been back-up-and-running in about 2 minutes.

I do have a backup of my OS, when trying to restore from that backup I get a round circle with a diagonal line through it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You need an external drive which is "bootable to the finder" (as distinguished from "the installer").

IF you can get to the finder, it's a good indication that the computer is fine (other than the internal drive).

IF the internal drive mounts on the desktop (even if you can't boot from it), that is a good indication that the drive itself may very well be OK, but that the system software is messed up.

IF you can get that far, it may be possible to repair software problems on the internal hard drive. Then.... go from there.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
You'll need to boot into the High Sierra Recovery Drive to see the APFS internal drive. You can use Disk Utility to erase and reformat as HFS+ so you can use your backup to restore.

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Let us know your model which will help.

Further, Disk utility is even worse in High Sierra than it was in Sierra and El Capitan before it and I would not count on it to see even a healthy drive in some instances. For example, I did a clean install on a 2017 MPB 15, and found that after I zeroed the partition map of my drive effectively making it uninitialized, disk utility didn't even show the physical disk. I resolved the issue in terminal.

Note this will erase your data.

If you were previously on at least 10.12.4, use shift command option R to get to High Sierra internet recovery. Open terminal and type "diskutil list" and see if you can see your internal drive. If it doesn't show than it is likely physically failing. If it does, type "diskutil unmountdisk disk0" then "diskutil erasedisk APFS "Macintosh HD" disk0". The quotes around the commands arent needed except for around Macintosh HD.

Let us know if this works.

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Happened to me. Try boot into secondary iternet recovery using shift + Cmd + alt + R. This loaded the Sierra (not High Sierra) recovery for me, which could see the drive.

The High Sierra recovery would not recognise my SSD.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Personally, I would do an initial install of High Sierra onto a spinner HDD. Clone it to a DMG ( a friend here says that SuperDuper 2.9.2 makes a DMG OK ) . Then when Apple sorts out APFS . . .High Sierra 10,13, 6 . . o_O THEN try restoring the DMG to the SSD.

Also, perhaps doing a new CLEAN install of High Sierra to your MacBook onto an INTERNAL spinner 2,5" HDD might allow you to see the drive externally in Disk Utility in the clean installation.

I also wonder if there are any Terminal command solutions that would allow you to see the drive at present.

Please post your progress here for all of us to gain by your experience.

Good Luck !

EDIT : I didn't see your last post ! Glad that you got it fixed. Still I will NOT be installing High Sierra to any of my SSD's 'til Apple matures APFS.

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
London
Personally, I would do an initial install of High Sierra onto a spinner HDD. Clone it to a DMG ( a friend here says that SuperDuper 2.9.2 makes a DMG OK ) . Then when Apple sorts out APFS . . .High Sierra 10,13, 6 . . THEN try restoring the DMG to the SSD.

Also, perhaps doing a new CLEAN install of High Sierra to your MacBook onto an INTERNAL spinner 2,5" HDD might allow you to see the drive externally in Disk Utility in the clean installation.

I also wonder if there are any Terminal command solutions that would allow you to see the drive at present.

Please post your progress here for all of us to gain by your experience.

Good Luck !

EDIT : I didn't see your last post ! Glad that you got it fixed. Still I will NOT be installing High Sierra to any of my SSD's 'til Apple matures APFS.

I don’t blame you, whilst I was collecting my machine, another older chap had his iMac in for exactly the same thing..

I was shocked by the cost (£980) although Apple did cover it under EU Law.

One disappointing thing, my machine was physically damaged by the engineer with a few scuffs and chips so I now have to return my machine again for the them to replace the aluminium casing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.