Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
So, back to the original question…..is this ready for prime time.

For me, that would be a very solid YES.

But……..

As so many people have already indicated this seem’s to be very subjective. I can only report what I have experienced so far and that everything for me has been totally solid. I have not had any issues of any type and even though many people reported issues with encrypted volumes using APFS, I have not seen any problem in that regard either.

The way things are looking for me right now I will be upgrading my existing Mavericks installation without any hesitation.

From a personal standpoint I have been quite thrilled with this release. I tried both Yosemite and El Cap on my MBP and they were horrendous (for me). I went back to my Mavs installation and never even paid any attention to Sierra. However, I have been concerned about “being left behind” from a security point of view and now it seems that I can finally catch up.

I sure hope the NAS vendors (Synology, QNAP, WD MyCloud) update their OS for Time Machine. Has anyone tried them with the betas?

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
Definitely working fine for me. Clean install with Beta 9, non-encrypted boot. Everything works fine - Xcode, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, MS Office, Parallels, Kindle, Spotify, Chrome, Anaconda (Sci Python install), etc., etc. Glad I did it.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
When is the GM due to be released, same time as iOS? (which many speculate ~20th-ish)
If it's only a week or 2 I think I'll wait. I have a mid-2012 rMBP, manufactured Dec. 2012.
Def. be reading all of this thread in the morn, way too late now though... TY/BR.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
When is the GM due to be released, same time as iOS? (which many speculate ~20th-ish)
If it's only a week or 2 I think I'll wait. I have a mid-2012 rMBP, manufactured Dec. 2012.
Def. be reading all of this thread in the morn, way too late now though... TY/BR.
We don't know, but that's what I'm predicting. We'll need High Sierra to read the iOS 11 file formats, since they are not compatible with Sierra.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-be-released-when-ios-11-is-released.2065305/

Reactions: jalyst

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
We don't know, but that's what I'm predicting. We'll need High Sierra to read the iOS 11 file formats, since they are not compatible with Sierra.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-be-released-when-ios-11-is-released.2065305/
Any chance they'll release an update to Sierra so those who don't get High Sierra can still see the iOS 11 file formats? I plan to upgrade my devices, but not my Mac - at least not until a few months have passed and all APFS bugs have been squashed.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
My experience is that betas and the .0 release of every Mac OS I've used have been problematic. Four apps I use regularly were DOA with the beta, one was fixed with a later beta, two have required upgrades (one paid), and the fourth will continue to be dead because the developer closed shop. There may be problems I haven't uncovered and are unlikely to be fixed in Aperture which I still use heavily. I've got a lot of Macs. Here are their standings for the upgrade:

• 2010 11" MBA, this was my trial system for High Sierra and APFS. It was so slow as to be useless. Backed out and don't plan to upgrade.
  • 2011 15" MBP. Has SSD. Will upgrade as soon as I'm assured SuperDuper!, CrashPlan, Resilio Sync, and ChronoSync work with APFS, and I can use FileVault II (bad reports on encrypted drives with APFS).
  • 2014 27" Retina 5k iMac. This will get the .1 High Sierra. Has a Fusion Drive so no APFS.
  • 2011 27" iMac. Wife's system. Will get .1 High Sierra.
  • 2012 mac Mini running Server. I always run this one year behind, so doing Sierra upgrade now.
  • 2 - 2009 mac Minis. These won't run anything beyond El Capitan
  • 2012 mac Mini used as entertainment center. Will get .1 High Sierra
No APFS for a while for me. And, frankly, High Sierra and Sierra have little of value for me.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Any chance they'll release an update to Sierra so those who don't get High Sierra can still see the iOS 11 file formats? I plan to upgrade my devices, but not my Mac - at least not until a few months have passed and all APFS bugs have been squashed.
Probably not. No such Sierra beta has been released.

What Mac do you have? You may be able to install High Sierra just using HFS+, depending on the Mac. And if so, you could always convert to APFS later.

My experience is that betas and the .0 release of every Mac OS I've used have been problematic. Four apps I use regularly were DOA with the beta, one was fixed with a later beta, two have required upgrades (one paid), and the fourth will continue to be dead because the developer closed shop. There may be problems I haven't uncovered and are unlikely to be fixed in Aperture which I still use heavily. I've got a lot of Macs. Here are their standings for the upgrade:

• 2010 11" MBA, this was my trial system for High Sierra and APFS. It was so slow as to be useless. Backed out and don't plan to upgrade.
  • 2011 15" MBP. Has SSD. Will upgrade as soon as I'm assured SuperDuper!, CrashPlan, Resilio Sync, and ChronoSync work with APFS, and I can use FileVault II (bad reports on encrypted drives with APFS).
  • 2014 27" Retina 5k iMac. This will get the .1 High Sierra. Has a Fusion Drive so no APFS.
  • 2011 27" iMac. Wife's system. Will get .1 High Sierra.
  • 2012 mac Mini running Server. I always run this one year behind, so doing Sierra upgrade now.
  • 2 - 2009 mac Minis. These won't run anything beyond El Capitan
  • 2012 mac Mini used as entertainment center. Will get .1 High Sierra
No APFS for a while for me. And, frankly, High Sierra and Sierra have little of value for me.
2009 MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo: Works fine with HS with HFS+ on an SSD, although the CPU is slow. (I used a hacked installer to get HS on it.) However, as a test machine it had 4 GB, and I just recently upgraded that to 8 GB. It would be completely unusable with 2 GB like some of the MBAs of your era.

2010 iMac Core i7: Works fine with HS with HFS+, although it's has a HD so disk access is slow, but that's true on older OSes too.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Probably not. No such Sierra beta has been released.

What Mac do you have? You may be able to install High Sierra just using HFS+, depending on the Mac. And if so, you could always convert to APFS later.

I have a 2013 rMBP with SSD, so I've heard High Sierra will force me to use APFS?

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Can anybody confirm, if MS Office 2016 (version 15.37 for Mac) works flawlessly under OS High Sierra?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Can anybody confirm, if MS Office 2016 (version 15.37 for Mac) works flawlessly under OS High Sierra?
Dunno about flawlessly but it seems to be working as well as it did on Sierra.

Despite working fine, I just did a "check for updates" and 15.38 is now installing.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I've only used the latest public beta High Sierra on my 2016 nTB for like all of an hour in the past few days but seems smooth in general. which is always a good thing. works with the handful of 3rd party apps I rely on too, which is also good.

it seems way better than Sierra was for a .0 at least, took a few point releases to stop being buggy and annoying OS.

The boot up time with apple logo is considerably longer though for some reason..

and more importantly I haven't booted in high Sierra for a bit from my Sierra partition, because I noticed almost ZERO difference coming from 10.12?

What are peoples favorite things with this release? Because Im at a loss, for what I'm gaining that I'll actually use?

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
it seems way better than Sierra was for a .0 at least
Agreed.

What are peoples favorite things with this release? Because Im at a loss, for what I'm gaining that I'll actually use?
HEVC and HEIF support
APFS for some people
Safari autoplay blocking (but I'm guessing Sierra will get this)
Metal 2 if you find Mission Control stutters in Sierra

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
It’s been working well for me with the exception of encryption and Filevault issues that have already been noted. Straight APFS works well. I would like to turn on Filevault at some point, but I’m definitely avoiding it for now. I have read release notes for most of the betas and there continues to be a ton of references to APFS encrypted and Filevault. Somewhat of a confirmation that it’s not ready.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Think a 2016 m5 can handle the new OS without issue?
My 2017 m3 runs at about the same speed as a 2016 m5.

However, the 2017 gains hardware 10-bit 4K HEVC decode support. It's still compatible on the 2016 models, but for this one task it's much, much, much slower since it's done in software.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Hopefully, September 25 release date (instead of September 19 for iOS, etc.) is an indication that Apple is aware of some critical issues (e.g., FileVault).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.