Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
For me, Metal II is important as HD4000 isn't as fast as todays' IGPs.
How much does Metal 2 really help on old GPUs though? I have Radeon HD 5750 in my iMac 2010, and GeForce 9400M in my MacBook Pro 2009. I didn't notice a huge improvement on the MBP (which is my only current HS machine), so I wonder if the GPU is just too old, but then again, I'm not really sure what to look for. People mentioned Mission Control smoothness, but it looked OK before with just the internal screen (as I don't use an external screen), and Mission Control smoothness is less important to me than other functionality.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
How much does Metal 2 really help on old GPUs though? I have Radeon HD 5750 in my iMac 2010, and GeForce 9400M in my MacBook Pro 2009. I didn't notice a huge improvement on the MBP (which is my only current HS machine), so I wonder if the GPU is just too old, but then again, I'm not really sure what to look for. People mentioned Mission Control smoothness, but it looked OK before with just the internal screen (as I don't use an external screen), and Mission Control smoothness is less important to me than other functionality.
You need a 2012 Mac for Metal (first released with El Capitan), so your 2009 MBP & 2010 iMac would not be supported for Metal or Metal 2.

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You need a 2012 Mac for Metal (first released with El Capitan), so your 2009 MBP & 2010 iMac would not be supported for Metal or Metal 2.
OK, that makes sense. No wonder I see no difference. Mind you, I didn't see much difference with the 2017 Macs either, but I don't know what to look for.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
OK, that makes sense. No wonder I see no difference. Mind you, I didn't see much difference with the 2017 Macs either, but I don't know what to look for.
I can tell you how to check to see if Metal or Metal 2 is supported by your Mac (I'm using Sierra right now):
El Capitan to Sierra check for: :apple:>About This Mac>System Report...>Graphics/Displays>Metal: Supported
High Sierra would support Metal 2.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I can tell you how to check to see if Metal or Metal 2 is supported by your Mac (I'm using Sierra right now):
El Capitan to Sierra check for: :apple:>About This Mac>System Report...>Graphics/Displays>Metal: Supported
High Sierra would support Metal 2.
Well, I know my two 2017 Macs are supported. I just don't where I should be seeing improvements in the OS. (I don't game.)

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
No! No! No!

My second install of the two latest betas.

Safari freezes. I can't connect to certain websites -- mainly Amazon.com. I can't even use a forum website as it freezes when I try to post a message.

Installed over Sierra on my 2016 Macbook Pro with Touchbar.

Thank God I did a backup. I am now in the process of downgrading back to Sierra. It's a PITA because you have to reformat the hard drive in OS X Journaled.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
2012 Retina MacBook Pro just locked up while browsing in Safari. Such issues are probably why the GM didn't arrive yesterday with iOS 11, Apple is still fixing/testing internally.

Like I said before, from the early betas it was clear this OS would take a while to be ready for release.

Reactions: Alfazone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.