Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tollwilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Has anyone noticed that the motion detection for automation using Circle 2 has gotten worse after upgrading Circle 2 firmware for HomeKit Secure Video? The clips being recorded based on (person, animal, vehicle) work great but when using the camera in an automation it appears to just do basic detection which is very sensitive. I used this to turn-on outdoor lighting but i had to disable the automation as lights were constantly getting triggered. For notifications there is an option to trigger based on clip vs basic detection which would be very helpful for automation or just include the option for specific detection (person, animal, vehicle) to automations. Maybe i am missing something?

Coldplayer

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
My Circle 2 totally stopped recording after a few weeks. Does it still work for you?

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Logitech really messed up the motion sensor in the HSV firmware.

They switched from using the PIR sensor to doing it based on video motion, so it now triggers motion on things like turning off a light.

The PIR sensor wasn't very good to begin with, but this is so much worse that it's worse than useless.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I haven’t switched my Logitech’s to HSV but it says they’re still in beta. Wonder if Logitech is accepting user feedback.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
I haven’t switched my Logitech’s to HSV but it says they’re still in beta. Wonder if Logitech is accepting user feedback.

I sent them feedback directly through Logi's Support.

I'm almost positive that they didn't understand what I was saying and eventually I gave up trying to explain it to them.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I sent them feedback directly through Logi's Support.

I'm almost positive that they didn't understand what I was saying and eventually I gave up trying to explain it to them.
Sheesh. Gotta love a product support team that doesn’t know a thing about the product they’re supporting. I wanted to try HSV but even with the 2TB plan, it only covers 1/4 of my cameras. Lose motion zones too. Plus still waiting on a video doorbell to be released.

Last edited:

tollwilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Is there even a way to upgrade the firmware if they do come out with a fix for this since the cameras can no longer be manage through the logictech app?

tollwilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Thanks @d.steve . Lets hope they address this issue or maybe Apple provides more automation options like when a clip is record similar to the settings for notifications

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Thanks @d.steve . Lets hope they address this issue or maybe Apple provides more automation options like when a clip is record similar to the settings for notifications
Ok, here's the explanation why they changed the motion sensor.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/etec6j/_/ffhb2sx
"In HKSV, the camera doesn't decide what gets recorded, your Home Hub does. We tuned the motion sensor to be very sensitive so that the camera wouldn't miss anything. If you have Recording's based on the Person/Pet/Car detection set, then the Home Hub does the analyzing of that content."

Hopefully, in an updated firmware, they'll figure out a way to send recordings to the home hub at extreme sensitivity to allow the home hub to filter out the noise while only triggering the motion detection homekit notifications at a sane level.

tollwilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Anyone heard/seen of updates coming to resolve this? I love to get back to having my outside lights triggered off camera motion again

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Looks as if the Circle 2 wireless is dead. I've been waiting for months for a replacement from Logitech. They called me today to say that likely will not be coming back into stock. They will be sending me a wireless unit which I will be putting into the Wired holder.

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Looks as if the Circle 2 wireless is dead. I've been waiting for months for a replacement from Logitech. They called me today to say that likely will not be coming back into stock. They will be sending me a wireless unit which I will be putting into the Wired holder.

Interesting. I wonder if a Circle 3 is on the horizon?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Seemed inevitable. Nobody is stocking them anymore. Hope that does mean a Circle 3 is on the way. I think these cameras are superb and one of the first players in HomeKit which I can respect. That 180 deg view is excellent and it be hard to switch to something narrower. Can cover more ground with fewer cameras. Perhaps a 4K version to compete.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Logitech makes good products but I've always felt that is where it ended. Make something good and barely support it. Its clear their focus is else where.

Seemed inevitable. Nobody is stocking them anymore. Hope that does mean a Circle 3 is on the way. I think these cameras are superb and one of the first players in HomeKit which I can respect. That 180 deg view is excellent and it be hard to switch to something narrower. Can cover more ground with fewer cameras. Perhaps a 4K version to compete.

180 degree view is nice however it zooms the image out too far (for me). Unless the camera is really good its hard to see small details like positively identifying someone by their face. 120-130 degree is the sweet spot for me personally that way I can mount it fairly far out of reach without it looking like its a video from a hot air balloon.

I bought an el cheapo Wyze Pan Cam just to play with and it has a 120 degree view but it can rotate 360 degrees. For 35 bucks I'm literally blown away (storage can be local). I would highly recommend Wyze cam and Wyze Pan cam if nothing but to play with or put somewhere you dont care if its stolen.

4k is tough due to bandwidth limitation. I have comcast with 150mbs down but a measly 5-15mb upload speed. A single 4k video feed with fast compression (h264) can exceed my bandwidth that making my internet useless. Using 2-3 wouldn't be possible. Using HEVC with a really powerful encoder in the device would be a requirement. 1080p is barely being leveraged, use an iPhone to make a 1080p video right next to your 1080p cameras for comparison and the iPhone will blow it away quality wise. The level of compression the IP camera companies use it WAY too lossy, some worse then others.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Logitech makes good products but I've always felt that is where it ended. Make something good and barely support it. Its clear their focus is else where.

180 degree view is nice however it zooms the image out too far (for me). Unless the camera is really good its hard to see small details like positively identifying someone by their face. 120-130 degree is the sweet spot for me personally that way I can mount it fairly far out of reach without it looking like its a video from a hot air balloon.

I bought an el cheapo Wyze Pan Cam just to play with and it has a 120 degree view but it can rotate 360 degrees. For 35 bucks I'm literally blown away (storage can be local). I would highly recommend Wyze cam and Wyze Pan cam if nothing but to play with or put somewhere you dont care if its stolen.

4k is tough due to bandwidth limitation. I have comcast with 150mbs down but a measly 5-15mb upload speed. A single 4k video feed with fast compression (h264) can exceed my bandwidth that making my internet useless. Using 2-3 wouldn't be possible. Using HEVC with a really powerful encoder in the device would be a requirement. 1080p is barely being leveraged, use an iPhone to make a 1080p video right next to your 1080p cameras for comparison and the iPhone will blow it away quality wise. The level of compression the IP camera companies use it WAY too lossy, some worse then others.

And isn’t HomeKit video still limited to 720p?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.