Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
What are some of the features you guys/gals would like to see in the next HomePod? Also, how soon do you think we'll get a new one?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Not really sure what I'd want added. But I have a feeling we may not see a new one soon. (At least one in the same size as the current one). I could possibly see the smaller one that people keep talking about coming soon. Not sure I'd expect it this year though.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I really just want them to open up the product to developers and somehow get developers to utilize it. Let me download a "Spotify" add on or some similar implementation. This would enable Spotify capability with siri and handoff. I'd like to see developers given that capability.

Make it easier for guests to play something on it (android and ios). Something like a "party mode" where anyone can put music in a queue. This would mean making an Android app I think for those guests to participate. I'm aware that a version of this already kind of exists, but I'd like to see it expanded on and more intuitive. And not require me to permanently change my airplay settings to allow "everyone". Apple could even give it a cheesy name and call it Apple Jukebox.

Obviously an improvement to voice assistant but that's not homepod specific.

Small thing here (and not Homepod 2 specific) but I'd like to see my Apple Watch automatically display the "Now Playing" app similar to what it does when the iPhone is playing music. It would make changing the volume on the homepod way easier.

Portable/Waterproof. I'd want this in a different product rather than having 1 product try to be both a portable speaker and an at home speaker, but I'd buy 1 to take places.

edit: I just saw another posters idea for LED lights and I think that would be a sweet feature.

Last edited:

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Ethernet
Individual Tone Control / EQ
Better WiFi antennas
A lot of software TLC on both the Mac and HomePod side
Price competitive with Sonos One

Also they need to round out their speaker offerings if they want to pursue audio vs just offering a Siri box: a higher end speaker, a sub, a sound bar, a portable speaker, a streamer, and maybe an amp.

I doubt we'll get anything on that list. What we'll get is a smaller speaker at $149 and a price drop on the current one to $249.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I really just want them to open up the product to developers and somehow get developers to utilize it. Let me download a "Spotify" add on or some similar implementation. This would enable Spotify capability with siri and handoff. I'd like to see developers given that capability.

Make it easier for guests to play something on it (android and ios). Something like a "party mode" where anyone can put music in a queue. This would mean making an Android app I think for those guests to participate. I'm aware that a version of this already kind of exists, but I'd like to see it expanded on and more intuitive. And not require me to permanently change my airplay settings to allow "everyone". Apple could even give it a cheesy name and call it Apple Jukebox.

Obviously an improvement to voice assistant but that's not homepod specific.

Small thing here (and not Homepod 2 specific) but I'd like to see my Apple Watch automatically display the "Now Playing" app similar to what it does when the iPhone is playing music. It would make changing the volume on the homepod way easier.

Portable/Waterproof. I'd want this in a different product rather than having 1 product try to be both a portable speaker and an at home speaker, but I'd buy 1 to take places.

edit: I just saw another posters idea for LED lights and I think that would be a sweet feature.

You forgot making toast.

Reactions: Meuti

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
To add to the LED lights, would like to see something functional with that like displaying the time but then momentarily show the song playing when you change tracks in a scrolling fashion and momentarily show volume level when you change volume, then go back to the time. Visual cue for commanding a HomeKit accessory or scene e.g “kitchen lights on” scrolling in LED lights with the ability to mute Siri on a time base for controlling HomeKit late night... or have Siri whisper if it senses you whispering a command lol

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
Adding blinking LED lights would be very non-Apple and I really hope that would be the last thing they would add to it. I get a rash just thinking about it.

Reactions: waw74

ademUp

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2020
* Adaptive sweet spot: the HomePod estimates your location based on the signal coming from your iPhone or watch and makes that the rooms sweet spot.
* wireless with charging dock
* waterproof (can be used on boat or small cat)
* up to three times louder than gen 1.
* dolby Atmos emulation
* personalised EQ based on data from AirPods inter-aural canal scan and based on a hearing tones test to correct deficiencies in your hearing

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
* Adaptive sweet spot: the HomePod estimates your location based on the signal coming from your iPhone or watch and makes that the rooms sweet spot.
* wireless with charging dock
* waterproof (can be used on boat or small cat)
* up to three times louder than gen 1.
* dolby Atmos emulation
* personalised EQ based on data from AirPods inter-aural canal scan and based on a hearing tones test to correct deficiencies in your hearing

You forgot one:

* $599 retail price

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Transfer a call to another Homepod in the house with voice like you can do with music.

Since it now has voice recognition, the ability to open secure devices like door locks and garage doors without having to authenticate on the iPhone.

ademUp’s suggestion of wireless with a charging dock would be tits.

Balkon

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
  • Bluetooth support
  • movie mode / surround sound mode
  • better Apple TV / tvOS integration
  • improve Siri / AI

Reactions: Pimmp

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Bluetooth, because Airplay is laggy and often fails on me, rendering the speaker too difficult and buggy to use for anything but Apple Music.

Customizable alarm audio. Would be nice to wake up to music like every other smart speaker can do.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Intercom- *From bedroom* “Hey, Siri, talk to kitchen HomePod”

Remote intercom- *From work on iPhone, iPad or AW* “Hey, Siri, talk to kitchen HomePod at <home name>”

Kind of like Walkie-Talkie on the Apple Watch but for HomePod and more reliable.

evere13tt

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
Canada
Most of our HomePod wishlists are longing for software updates and new features rather than a hardware refresh. I worry we'll get a smaller version with identical features for $249.

eliza014

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Siri needs some more personality for starters. Also, a sound to tell us when Siri stops listening, for those who prefer sound when using Siri. In addition, a way to flip the volume controls, sort of like you can on Google Home Mini. I have to set mine up sideways so I don't bend the power cord, and the volume controls are upside down. Also, a sound for when the HomePod restarts, mainly for those of us who are blind, something like that sound we get when we plug it in for the first time. Something like skills on Amazon's Echo would be nice too. My HomePod, when it comes back from being replaced, will be the only speaker I can't play games on. I like games, and blind people will take all the games we can get. Now, big one, customizable EQ settings. The EQ is usually fine, but I had a problem with the bass-producing part of the speaker, and I needed a way to adjust the bass to try and troubleshoot, which, of course, I didn't have. This is from someone who bought the HomePod with a skeptical outlook on the product and ended up impressed as soon as the device was plugged in and making sound.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
  • Bluetooth support
  • movie mode / surround sound mode
  • better Apple TV / tvOS integration
  • improve Siri / AI

Bluetooth soundss like crap but more importantly won't work with the HomePods DSP. I have no idea why anyone would want bluetooth over Airplay 2.
[automerge]1596403666[/automerge]
Gotta have EQ to tone down the bass.
Act as speaker for Macs. That alone would sell alot of HomePods.

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
Get it to work properly - most times I can't get it to recognise what I'm asking it to play. Currently an almost unusable product for me - unless I Airplay to it.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Intercom- *From bedroom* “Hey, Siri, talk to kitchen HomePod”

Remote intercom- *From work on iPhone, iPad or AW* “Hey, Siri, talk to kitchen HomePod at <home name>”

Kind of like Walkie-Talkie on the Apple Watch but for HomePod and more reliable.

And while they implement this they can also fix walkie talkie on Apple Watch.

Reactions: Itinj24

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Hardware: some kind of wired connection option for no lag.

Software: adjustable EQ, more functional Siri.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Seems the current HomePod is a nice speaker, since 90% of the requests here are software-related. I'd just love to see them bring out some different models; a smaller/cheaper one for our bedroom for example. The HomePod there is never louder than 30-ish %, so no need for that power, but I do like the functionality since I have a lot of HomeKit enabled stuff and tell the HomePod to do loads of stuff. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.