Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsherh5

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I have the identical problem as the OP. Since the 16.3 update very often my first Siri request fails with the same message the OP got but if I ask again immediately, it works right away. Strange

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Same for me.
OG HomePods on 16.3 with new architecture always fail on first command, work second time.
Minis working fine.
Won’t even bother restarting network/routers, 16.3 with new architecture is clearly broken on the OGs…. Hopefully update to fix it comes soon
Not a fan of conspiracy theories, but bizarre this started happening as new models are released

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Literally just came here about this issue… I am on latest OS and new architecture, I temporarily fixed it by rebooting my devices hub (I have a hub for my bulbs and switches etc which is separate and acts as a bridge over to HomeKit), but within about 10 minutes it was back to the ‘please try again in a bit’ response, it only happens the first time and the response the second time is extremely fast in all fairness.

This must be some sort of communication bug between HomeKit and the devices you’re using and will hopefully be fixed in an upcoming .1 update.

Hopefully when they relaunch the new architecture it will be fixed.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Just another data point in case Apple is perusing this thread.

Yep, seeing this about 30-50% of my requests on OG HomePods. Second request works immediately. I do have HP minis but TBH I haven't noticed if they're also doing the same thing or not.

New architecture here as well.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Based on admittedly a low amount of testing, so far zero issues on minis, only on OG HomePods

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Same experience. New architecture and OG homepods (not tried minis). Might consider moving a mini if this is going to be a long standing issue.

jlc3008

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
Just another data point in case Apple is perusing this thread.

Yep, seeing this about 30-50% of my requests on OG HomePods. Second request works immediately. I do have HP minis but TBH I haven't noticed if they're also doing the same thing or not.

New architecture here as well.
I have submitted a bug report with a link to this thread so hopefully they will read it!

Reactions: dotme

Steven_M_Traveler

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2020
Same issue when requesting scenes on my 4 OG HomePods. Get the “One sec there was a problem completing your request. Try again in a moment.” Even while Siri is saying this, I interrupt and request the same scene again and it works quickly.

I guess I’ll hope for a software update to resolve. I tried resetting all of them.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I have solved the issue by immediately just repeating the request twice and it works 90% of the time now… hopefully something apple will fix soon

Jaffa

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Not a fan of conspiracy theories, but bizarre this started happening as new models are released
emoji57.png
More than likely Apple are performing limited testing against the OG HomePods compared to current models than some nefarious Dr Evil reason :p

Reactions: CamiMR

ballsop

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
I updated all my devices to iOS 16.3 when it came out, and for the most part things are pretty stable. At first, the FindMy feature to ask about your family members' locations wasn't working, but after rebooting all the home hubs, that seems to have cleared out. The one problem I still have is that when asking a HomePod to turn on lights or a scene, it will fail. It says something like "I can't do this right now, try again in a minute". I immediately try again and it works right away. Then I can ask it to turn on any light in the house and it works fine. It's just that first request that fails. If I move to another HomePod, it's the same thing, first time fail, then works fine.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Before I go any further with troubleshooting, I wanted to see if it's a system-wide Homekit thing, or something specific to my network.
Same here with me. All 3 of my OG HomePods have a first attempt issue whereas my minis are fine. I’m also on the new architecture

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
16.3.1 released today report here if it fixes the issue for you 👍👍

UPDATE: Not fixed for me

Last edited:

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Me too ( not fixed ) and one HomePod even tho working as part of stereo pair now says not responding in home app

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
This is so aggravating. I pay a premium for Apple because as a non tech person it used to just work. No BS needed.

I have 3 minis and 2 OG, trying to get all 5 synched is brutal. Then it works for a day. Then it doesn’t. this shouldn’t be this hard. Add in some Philips lights and ugh

Reactions: ballsop

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Are you sure it's fixed? I've had a few times where the first command works and I get excited....then I ask that same Homepod to do something an hour later and it's back to the same old message.....
Yeah. I celebrated when I installed 16.3.1 when the first 10 commands seemed to be great. Then the HomePod had some time to itself and decided that it’d be hilarious and start the old behaviour again.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yeah. I celebrated when I installed 16.3.1 when the first 10 commands seemed to be great. Then the HomePod had some time to itself and decided that it’d be hilarious and start the old behaviour again.
Yep, same here. Come on, Apple! This can't be that hard to fix!

Reactions: anzio

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Pmsl!!! Yeah once I installed it I tried it first go I had… one sec… that’s done! I was like woooooooo ‘it just works’ then in haste I gave another command… on it… there was a problem completing your request please try again in a bit…

Reactions: anzio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.