Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faaaz26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
Hello. Happy NY everyone. I have not been able to find a solution (even calling Apple) to my problem.

We have a few HomePods and iPhone users in my home. Every HomePod has been setup to a room in the Home App. Everyone has been invited to join the home in the Home App. My son uses his HomePod in his room, my daughter in hers... I have setup the HomePods in their room with them as the primary user and entered their apple IDs and Passwords.

But still when they play a song on their HomePod, it turns my phone screen ON and their song appears on my notification screen. Not great when I'm working in my office. How could I avoid this to happen so that we are independent from each others?

If I set us up 4 different homes in the Home App, then Intercom doesn't work anymore. There must be a way but no one seems to have discussed this particular problem in magazines, articles, videos. I have seen a lot demonstration of 1 users with multiple HomePods but not 4 users with 4+ HomePods. Thanks a lot for your help.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello. Happy NY everyone. I have not been able to find a solution (even calling Apple) to my problem.

We have a few HomePods and iPhone users in my home. Every HomePod has been setup to a room in the Home App. Everyone has been invited to join the home in the Home App. My son uses his HomePod in his room, my daughter in hers... I have setup the HomePods in their room with them as the primary user and entered their apple IDs and Passwords.

But still when they play a song on their HomePod, it turns my phone screen ON and their song appears on my notification screen. Not great when I'm working in my office. How could I avoid this to happen so that we are independent from each others?

If I set us up 4 different homes in the Home App, then Intercom doesn't work anymore. There must be a way but no one seems to have discussed this particular problem in magazines, articles, videos. I have seen a lot demonstration of 1 users with multiple HomePods but not 4 users with 4+ HomePods. Thanks a lot for your help.
What happens if you create separate homes for each HomePod and another home that does not have any accessories added. Add all the people to the home that has no accessories. Can you still use the intercom. Curious if you would still get notifications from the other homes since you do not have any accessories on the other home.

faaaz26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
Hello and thanks for your help. I have actually kept one HomePod on a different home. With that one, the music playing on that HomePod doesn't appear on my phone but I can't intercom with that room. It's either or and it should be both...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello and thanks for your help. I have actually kept one HomePod on a different home. With that one, the music playing on that HomePod doesn't appear on my phone but I can't intercom with that room. It's either or and it should be both...
Have you tried doing the opposite where each room that has a HomePod creates a home and adds one room and then invites you to join. This way each home would be the control and you are the inverted person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.