Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I understand its a rumors site, but this is the Moby Dick of all Rumors because this is what, the 2nd year we've all gotten hyped up over this thing and they didn't release it? And then everyone gets their hopes up at the next Keynote and then they don't release what you all Wished they would release and everyone starts griping and being all bitter at Apple.

I love rumors, I really do. But this one has Cried Wolf one too many times for me to bother caring anymore.

That "macs with intel chips" rumor was around for fifteen years, and did it come true? :)

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
re: big MB and small MBP

Specially given Intel release an LV (low voltage, low temp) Core 2 Duo 1.5GHz with 4MB of cache in January.

I think they also may wait for a resolution independent GUI in Leopard. A 12" MBP would be particularly sweet with a high res screen (1080P :eek: )

vshchen

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
Taipei, Taiwan / Boston, USA
According to the latest news from Taiwan, the functions of iPhone include a camera with 2 millions pixels and mp3 player. It's scheduleed to be launched between the end of 1Q and the beginning of 2Q of 2007. iPhone is going to be manufactured by Hon Hai's manufacture company, Foxconn, and will be released no earlier than February. It's expected that about 500,000-600,000 iPhones will be produced each month.

It's also said that Hon Hai will officially receive the Macbook order from Apple from the 2Q 2007.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Its finally getting here :) Its a new product (like the iTV) so Apple isn't ultra secret about it and steal some thunder away from the (soon to be defunct) Zune. Both the 'iTV' and 'iPhone' aren't ready for the shopping season so its better for the market to know what's coming early next year.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Only someone in denial can say this phone isn't going to happen, and soon. The building blocks are being pushed into place. They don't seem to be doing it that secretly either. Steve Jobs saying he's really excited abou his new phone, all the references in itunes, the telco deal rumours and now this in very very respected publications who would make sure there facts are sure before publishing.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2006/11/iphone_rumors_a.html

I agree, I reckon it's to steal sales from Zune and the others by hinting at what's to come.

Saw an ipod nano advert on prime time tonight (Sydney) too "the all new ipod nano" . The clever use of teh colour so contrasts those dull brown (what were they thinking) Zunes. The Zune is getting a pretty bad right up here saying its not as good as ipod (Microsoft's Zune is no iPod killer http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-...-no-ipod-killer/2006/11/15/1163266598981.html )

I don't think they could spell it out more loudly. This phone is imminent and god knows they need it as here in OZ (like in Norway) you can't buy a phone without a 2MP camera, an MP3 player and 3G (for downloading all that music..).

Galex

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
Sweden
Ah the mythical video-phone that has been talked about for ages (okay 2 to 3 decades). Will Homo sapiens ever warm up to this idea? I think this is a tough "problem" to crack. What is the compelling reason to video chat with someone?

The 3G phone market in Sweden is currently exploding and will possibly overcome GSM phones in sales during 2007. Although the video chat capabilities of a 3G phone may not be used by everyone, there is one group of people where this capability has lead to an incredibly fast market penetration of 3G phones - the deaf and hearing-disabled. When your language is based primarily on signs made with your hands, 3G phones are really fantastic devices for communication.

/Galex

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
The 3G phone market in Sweden is currently exploding and will possibly overcome GSM phones in sales during 2007. Although the video chat capabilities of a 3G phone may not be used by everyone, there is one group of people where this capability has lead to an incredibly fast market penetration of 3G phones - the deaf and hearing-disabled. When your language is based primarily on signs made with your hands, 3G phones are really fantastic devices for communication.

/Galex

From Wikipedia: The global deaf population is roughly estimated to be 0.1% of the total population

I hardly see this as a target market - because you also have to factor in economics (could they afford the phone or will subsidy pay for it) Are they in range of the appropriate tower etc etc.

And how do you make hand signals while holding a phone? Sign language takes 2 hands.

Besides 3G and GSM are NOT different technologies, they are complimenting technologies. Some GSM handsets are coming with 3G built in.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
That "macs with intel chips" rumor was around for fifteen years, and did it come true? :)

That is a good point BUT when most people were saying it they were making it up rather than relying on "factual" or "substantive" rumor.

The only true rumor started up when OSX started and it leaked out that there was a project called Marklar - turns out this was a real project.

But the point is still valid from the quote above - that took 5 years of rumor and discussion before it came true.

The Iphone isn't a rumor any more - if Apple doesn't release it before Summer 2007 I think analysts will lose faith in them again and they may start to recede in the iPod market.

Consumers are also yearning for Apple to do to the cell phone arena what they did for the MP3 market a few years back.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
This is the product I am really waiting on from Apple. The state of the cell phone market is pathetic.

I will buy two the second it is announced. Could care less about the price.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
This is the product I am really waiting on from Apple. The state of the cell phone market is pathetic.

Not sure I agree with you there.

What's wrong with a SE K800i with a 4GB memory card in it and a stereo bluetooth headset? Or a Nokia N73, similarly equipped? (The SE at least syncs well with iSync.)

For 20 quid a month you can get these for free now. It'll be very hard for Apple to compete in this market IMO.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark

What's wrong with a SE K800i with a 4GB memory card in it and a stereo bluetooth headset? Or a Nokia N73, similarly equipped? (The SE at least syncs well with iSync.)

For 20 quid a month you can get these for free now. It'll be very hard for Apple to compete in this market IMO.

But they are not done with the same finesse Apple would put into a product. Face it, the two phones you mentioned are not exactly good looking.

Bang & Olufsen (Danish B&O) has also made an extremely expensive phone and people are still buying it. Why? Because of the design.

Design is getting more and more important as it reflects lifestyle.
I have a Sony Ericsson K750i and I can't wait to exchange it for a sleek, well-designed iPhone.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
But they are not done with the same finesse Apple would put into a product. Face it, the two phones you mentioned are not exactly good looking.

On that front I agree, and probably why I haven't actually replaced my t610 with one of those. I'm the kind of person that likes Apple products though.

I'm more looking forward to a device that could look nice (mass market appeal) but more importantly just works well and syncs with other devices etc. (the bit most people ignore until they have the phone).

The k800i is pretty close though (it just looks very um err "PC") and is stiff competition for Apple.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Only someone in denial can say this phone isn't going to happen, and soon. The building blocks are being pushed into place. They don't seem to be doing it that secretly either. Steve Jobs saying he's really excited abou his new phone, all the references in itunes, the telco deal rumours and now this in very very respected publications who would make sure there facts are sure before publishing.

If this tangent is a redundant conversation from other threads, my apologies...

I want a cell phone from Apple. I'm a long time Mac and iPod user. I'm the easy person to sell to. Now, for all of those non-Mac people out there, Apple wrote iTunes for the PC world to be able to sell to them - makes complete sense.

Enter the iPhone. I realize that not everyone out there is savvy enough to sync with their computers for address book, calendar, etc. But, what is Apple going to do for the MS fans out there. I see two possibilities:

1) iTunes
iTunes will expand into the iPod and cell phone sync device. I wonder if on the PC side of things, Apple will tap into Microsofts API's to sync with Outlook. I was noticing this morning in iTunes how "devices and media" all mount on the left pane of the application simultaneously. I had my iPod connected and a CD in the drive and the UI simply expanded to show them. Have the layed the foundation for the phone and the iTV already?

2) .Mac
Make .Mac the sync hub which will sync through any browser. And, you will have the option to sync directly from the phone to the internet via it's wireless network.

Cheers!

Galex

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
Sweden
From Wikipedia: The global deaf population is roughly estimated to be 0.1% of the total population. I hardly see this as a target market - because you also have to factor in economics (could they afford the phone or will subsidy pay for it) Are they in range of the appropriate tower etc etc. And how do you make hand signals while holding a phone? Sign language takes 2 hands.

Of course it's not the target market. I simply wanted to point out that video-enabled phones really make sense for these people and turned them into early adopters. And in it's simplified form, among experienced practioners, hand language does not take more than one hand.

To get back to the main topic, I believe that an iPhone must be able to download songs from iTunes Store directly, to be paid for over the telephone bill. Many young people, at least in Europe, do not have credit cards. But they all have cell phones and use them to pay for all kinds of services.

/Galex

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Of course it's not the target market. I simply wanted to point out that video-enabled phones really make sense for these people and turned them into early adopters. And in it's simplified form, among experienced practioners, hand language does not take more than one hand.

To get back to the main topic, I believe that an iPhone must be able to download songs from iTunes Store directly, to be paid for over the telephone bill. Many young people, at least in Europe, do not have credit cards. But they all have cell phones and use them to pay for all kinds of services.

/Galex

True. We have 2-3 mobile music stores where you can download directly over here. They're not really catching on yet, though. (Telenor will give away free songs throughout the year to boost popularity.) Problem is the phone vendors are the owners of these stores, so who knows if they'll subsidize the iPhone.

I don't think the credit card thing will be a problem. Just as youths nag their parents to buy music through iTS, they'll get to do it when they get the phone. I might be wrong, though.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Update to the story

Update: According to another report in the China Times (summarized by AppleInsider), Hon Hai subsidiary Foxconn will begin pumping out 500,000 to 600,000 units per month from its Fushikang manufacturing facility beginning in February. The 'iPhone' is also detailed to include a 2 megapixel camera. ThinkSecret has previously reported that the phone will sport a 3 megapixel camera.

taijuan

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
2MP Camera

If it's really only two MP, that doesn't do much for me. At most it's good for about a 4X6 photo. I was hoping to get something useful as a digital camera. Something that would easily upload into iPhoto and if you were out, would take a photo that would actually be worth keeping.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC

Neither of those phones have an iPod scrollwheel and interface. Apple will be successful and will be the top-selling music phone, IMO.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Neither of those phones have an iPod scrollwheel and interface.

I know, but a lot of people would go "So" at that statement.

Apple will be successful and will be the top-selling music phone, IMO.

Hmmm maybe. If they've won the networks over then it could be all over given how popular the iPod still is.

I guess we're about to see over the next few months. Exciting times indeed.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
If it's really only two MP, that doesn't do much for me. At most it's good for about a 4X6 photo. I was hoping to get something useful as a digital camera. Something that would easily upload into iPhoto and if you were out, would take a photo that would actually be worth keeping.

I'm not sure if that's even a problem if the CCD is set up correctly. The 640x480 camera in my new Treo 650 doesn't look that much worse than the 2.1MP camera I had in my Sony Ericsson K750i because it's been designed to compensate for indoor photography (which is supposed to be where most cameraphones fall down).

I think that the iPhone won't compete with the large iPods, but may be an evolution of the Nano in a slightly different form to accommodate a larger battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.