Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Space Opera
Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, interplanetary battles, chivalric romance, and risk-taking. Set mainly or entirely in outer space, it usually involves conflict between opponents possessing advanced abilities, futuristic weapons, and other sophisticated technology. The term has no relation to music, as in a traditional opera, but is instead a play on the terms "soap opera", a melodramatic television series, and "horse opera"...

I’ll start off by letting @Scepticalscribe know I now have a copy of Heris Serrano in my library to be read. :)

D32F08A0-FD89-4511-8A83-98D4C732CB7F.jpeg

Honor Harrington is the primary character in this superlative space opera that begins with On Basilisk Station where we find Commander Harrington transferred to an experimental cruiser because her boss wants to surprise the opposition during war games, while Honor realizes she‘s been given a one trick pony. Once it’s ability is known, it is extremely easy to counter in a fight and what starts out grandly, turns into a professional disaster, when the reality becomes self evident. But her boss is so embarrassed by the overall performance of her hardware/technology idea, Honor takes the brunt of the displeasure and finds herself, cruiser, and crew banished to an undesirable posting at least for a military career in the Manticore Navy along with an unhappy crew.

I believe someone has considered turning this into movie, but the first book does not have the best structure for a movie, not that it’s boring, it’s not. The writing is crisp and clear. The author goes out of his way to describe space ship technology including propulsion and armament without making it too technical, drawn out, and hard to understand. And everything Honor and her tree cat does, along with interactions with the people around her is interesting.

The preamble of this book includes hints of the coming conflict with the People’s Republic of Haven. Haven is a long term adversary to the Star Kingdom of Manticore, in fact Haven dwarfs Manticore, but Manticore maintains a significant technological edge, and Haven is so big, it includes a lot of bloat, giving Manticore a fighting chance.

The space battles that take place are huge in scope, jaw dropping, and the narrative is so smooth you won’t be lost in the fighting.

I just started On Basilisk Station and plan on posting some spoilers more as a memory jogger for anyone who has already read the series. The first two books are available to read for free using the Kindle App.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’ll start off by letting @Scepticalscribe know I now have a copy of Heris Serrano in my library to be read. :)

Honor Harrington is the primary character in this superlative space opera that begins with On Basilisk Station where we find Commander Harrington transferred to an experimental cruiser because her boss wants to surprise the opposition during war games, while Honor realizes she‘s been given a one trick pony. Once it’s ability is known, it is extremely easy to counter in a fight and what starts out grandly, turns into a professional disaster, when the reality becomes self evident. But her boss is so embarrassed by the overall performance of her hardware/technology idea, Honor takes the brunt of the displeasure and finds herself, cruiser, and crew banished to an undesirable posting at least for a military career in the Manticore Navy along with an unhappy crew.

I believe someone has considered turning this into movie, but the first book does not have the best structure for a movie, not that it’s boring, it’s not. The writing is crisp and clear. The author goes out of his way to describe space ship technology including propulsion and armament without making it too technical, drawn out, and hard to understand. And everything Honor and her tree cat does, along with interactions with the people around her is interesting.

The preamble of this book includes hints of the coming conflict with the People’s Republic of Haven. Haven is a long term adversary to the Star Kingdom of Manticore, in fact Haven dwarfs Manticore, but Manticore maintains a significant technological edge, and Haven is so big, it includes a lot of bloat, giving Manticore a fighting chance.

The space battles that take place are huge in scope, jaw dropping, and the narrative is so smooth you won’t be lost in the fighting.

I just started On Basilisk Station and plan on posting some spoilers more as a memory jogger for anyone who has already read the series. The first two books are available to read for free using the Kindle App.
Get ready for a ride!

Years ago, when we were dating, my wife had a job at a community college where she was attending classes. Outside of one of the classrooms one day was a small library being offered for people to take. She saw On Basilisk Station and brought it home for me.

I was hooked.

My daughter's first name is Honour. She was named after Honor Harrington. Only we used the proper English spelling. :D

My wife and I joke that someday our daughter will meet and marry a guy whose last name is Harrington. ;)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Get ready for a ride!

Years ago, when we were dating, my wife had a job at a community college where she was attending classes. Outside of one of the classrooms one day was a small library being offered for people to take. She saw On Basilisk Station and brought it home for me.

I was hooked.

My daughter's first name is Honour. She was named after Honor Harrington. Only we used the proper British spelling. :D

My wife and I joke that someday our daughter will meet and marry a guy whose last name is Harrington. ;)
My second read through. :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My second read through. :D
I have my own copy of the book (the one my wife gave me) but I went out and bought another one on the day my daughter was born and wrote a note to her. My daughter will be 12 on the 23rd and so far has no interest, but we'll see.

What I like about Honor Harrington is that she's tough and strong and smart, but also human and kind.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have my own copy of the book (the one my wife gave me) but I went out and bought another one on the day my daughter was born and wrote a note to her. My daughter will be 12 on the 23rd and so far has no interest, but we'll see.

What I like about Honor Harrington is that she's tough and strong and smart, but also human and kind.
I had all of them when they could be purchased though ThriftyBooks.com for a couple of dollars each. It is really irritating that pricing of ebooks where some publishers expect the reader to pay full price for a 20 year old book.

You may have seen my comment, but the ebook version for the first two books are available for free at Amazon (Kindle version). My eyes are too bad to be reading paper back sized print, even with cheaters.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You may have seen my comment, but the ebook version for the first two books are available for free at Amazon (Kindle version). My eyes are too bad to be reading paper back sized print, even with cheaters.
I'm still far more comfortable with books, but I will take a look at that. The only time I read eBooks is in bed with my iPad. I've perfected the book in the left hand, coffee, hamburger or fries in the right hand process of reading and the iPad really doesn't lend itself to that too much for me. :D A holdover from when I started reading during lunch in the fourth grade.

What I'll do is buy a paperback to read (in the manner I mention above) and then buy the hardback for the shelf. Fortunately, my eyes aren't that bad, although my second pair of progressive lenses is now on order. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Okay, @Huntn: You have finally persuaded me to read this (and, if memory serves, I think @Don't panic also attempted to persuade me of its merits, a few years ago).

I have now downloaded it, and with a beer, or glass of wine to keep me company, shall commence reading it this very evening.

Did you mention that the second work in the series is also available?

Get ready for a ride!

I was hooked.

My daughter's first name is Honour. She was named after Honor Harrington. Only we used the proper English spelling. :D

Forgot to comment on these two wonderful, uplifting and heart-warming posts. Love them, and love the idea of a girl named for a positive (and strong, smart, decent, ethical, and kind) role model.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: eyoungren and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Okay, @Huntn: You have finally persuaded me to read this (and, if memory serves, I think @Don't panic also attempted to persuade me of its merits, a few years ago).

I have now downloaded it, and with a beer, or glass of wine to keep me company, shall commence reading it this very evening.

Did you mention that the second work in the series is also available?
[automerge]1592065501[/automerge]

Forgot to comment on these two wonderful, uplifting and heart-warming posts. Love them, and love the idea of a girl named for a positive (and strong, smart, decent, ethical, and kind) role model.
The first 2 books are available at Amazon for free. The second book is The Honor of the Queen. I’ve included the link I used to download it, but don’t know for the UK if this link works, or you’d have to pull up the equivalent for Amazon UK. I hope you enjoy it, lots! :)

I’ll also assume you are familiar with how the Kindle app works if you don’t have a Kindle, but I’ll describe it. The Kindle app is available for Android and iOS. You establish your account with Amazon on your web browser, then purchase ($0 hopefully) download it to your account. Then download the Kindle App, you sign into your Amazon account and it will appear in your Kindle library.

ED6776CF-C1E9-4797-B42C-69F6AA49D17D.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm still far more comfortable with books, but I will take a look at that. The only time I read eBooks is in bed with my iPad. I've perfected the book in the left hand, coffee, hamburger or fries in the right hand process of reading and the iPad really doesn't lend itself to that too much for me. :D A holdover from when I started reading during lunch in the fourth grade.

What I'll do is buy a paperback to read (in the manner I mention above) and then buy the hardback for the shelf. Fortunately, my eyes aren't that bad, although my second pair of progressive lenses is now on order. :D
When they first appeared, I was hostile towards ebooks and pdfs especially for textbook reading, but with the search capabilities in text books, that quickly became a slam dunk. For pleasure reading, I do it on my iPhone because it’s light, a one handed operation, and the text size and font can be adjusted to a comfortable level.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The first 2 books are available at Amazon for free. The second book is The Honor of the Queen. I’ve included the link I used to download it, but don’t know for the UK if this link works, or you’d have to pull up the equivalent for Amazon UK. I hope you enjoy it, lots! :)

I’ll also assume you are familiar with how the Kindle app works if you don’t have a Kindle, but I’ll describe it. The Kindle app is available for Android and iOS. You establish your account with Amazon on your web browser, then purchase ($0 hopefully) download it to your account. Then download the Kindle App, you sign into your Amazon account and it will appear in your Kindle library.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post these links.

Reactions: Huntn

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My mother is a lot like that, although a product of her time (1941). I grew up either under the authority of strong women or just being around them. It's the only female role model I really know well. My wife is the same, always has an opinion and will do her own thing her way and according to her ethics and convictions.

My daughter's middle names also reflect strong women in the Bible, one of whom killed a king with a tent peg and a mallet. :)

Names and words mean things and both my wife and I put a lot of thought into both our kids names. So far they have lived up to them. Carrying forward the character and nature of Honor Harrington, even though she's a fictional character, isn't a bad thing I think.

Thanks for the kind words!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Both are also available free from the publisher's web site in a range of formats including ePub. Check out https://www.baen.com/on-basilisk-station.html
Thanks for passing this on! For anyone who downloads an ePub not tied to something like Apple or Amazon (Kindle), I recommend the Marvin App (reader) and I have calibre as an ebook utility.

FYI, when I went to Baen, Honor of the Queen did not have a free download on it's page, at least none I could see. Do you have a different link by chance? If you are wondering if I already have a Kindle version, why bother with the Baen version? It's because I like DRM free publications when I can find them.

The good news is that these books by virtue of being old enough that for the ones they are selling, at both Baen and Amazon, they are marked at a reasonable $6.99 per volume.

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The free download for Honor of the Queen is here:

I found that page by doing some site searching and scrolling through the results.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The free download for Honor of the Queen is here:

I found that page by doing some site searching and scrolling through the results.

And thank you for that. Very much appreciated.

Now, I have two books to tuck into, and immerse myself in.

Lasrjock

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019
Northern VA
I am currently reading the 8th book in the series for the 1st time. I also recommend the series. I don't know if the spin-off books in the Honorverse (hey, it's a thing on Wikipedia so it must exist ;)) are any good.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am currently reading the 8th book in the series for the 1st time. I also recommend the series. I don't know if the spin-off books in the Honorverse (hey, it's a thing on Wikipedia so it must exist ;)) are any good.
I kind of abandoned it when it came to the Honorverse stuff. Most of it is not by David Weber and while it's good, I started reading the series because I liked Honor Harrington (as written by David Weber) and her interactions with those around her. I even ended up buying one hardback before I realized it wasn't about Honor, but someone else that knew her. That's okay, but again, not why I was reading the series.

I've meant to look again and see if there's anything new concerning her, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

But if you enjoy straying from the prime character it's all still very well written.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Things are heating up on Basilisk Station! :)
A once secret drug lab blows up killing officers raiding the place, Haven is trying to hang the whole thing on Manticore as they try to forment an uprising with drug saturated natives, Klaus Haufman of the Haufman cartel tries to cower Honor in her customs duties, and she threatens him with a duel! :)
You still have a ways to go with Honor. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just finished On Basilisk Station (Second read), just as good as I remember it. Intrique, subterfuge, and an orchestrated rebellion for geopolitical/military advantage. It starts relatively slow, as Harrington has to win over a new crew, professional conflict, introduces mysterious plot elements as it thickens, finally exploding in conflict and resulting in a space duel that is not for the feint of heart, brutal and explosive as Honor Harrington takes her ship to the mat. Thumbs up! :D

I’m going to take a detour to read Heris Serrano, then most likely on to Honor of the Queen.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just finished On Basilisk Station (Second read), just as good as I remember it. Intrique, subterfuge, and an orchestrated rebellion for geopolitical/military advantage. It starts relatively slow, as Harrington has to win over a new crew, professional conflict, introduces mysterious plot elements as it thickens, finally exploding in conflict and resulting in a space duel that is not for the feint of heart, brutal and explosive as Honor Harrington takes her ship to the mat. Thumbs up! :D

I’m going to take a detour to read Heris Serrano, then most likely on to Honor of the Queen.

"Heris Serrano" covers the first three books of the series, which I think excellent; however, the setting becomes more purely military from the fourth book (Serrano Connection - which is the fourth and fifth books, Once a Hero and Rules of Engagement, which also introduce other characters whom you will have met fleetingly in the first trilogy) and that continues with the final two books (Serrano Succession - which comprises the sixth and seventh books, Change of Command and Against the Odds).

I have downloaded On Basilisk Station to my computer; some day soon, I shall disappear for an afternoon or evening, and lose myself in it.

• Love

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Excellent series of books. I love them.

Reactions: eyoungren and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I made a strategic decision and changed the title of this thread to make it more inclusive and added the definition of Space Opera to post 1, repeated here:
Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, interplanetary battles, chivalric romance, and risk-taking. Set mainly or entirely in outer space, it usually involves conflict between opponents possessing advanced abilities, futuristic weapons, and other sophisticated technology. The term has no relation to music, as in a traditional opera, but is instead a play on the terms "soap opera", a melodramatic television series, and "horse opera"...

That said, I have been reading Heris Serrano on @Scepticalscribe’s reccomendation and just completed the first enjoyable book included in this 3 in 1 compilation, written by a gal from a Texas. :)

5E4EB3E7-79D5-4264-8785-DDD4BDFD9595.jpeg

As with any new book, in a new story universe there is a period of adjustment, as you get to know the character and the environment they exist in. It starts out with a “disgraced” Naval Captain (in space of course) who having resigned her commission takes a job on a rich old lady’s space yacht. I’ll be honest, as I read though the beginning of this book, I was wondering where it would lead. She is on a space ship, hired as it’s Captain, learning about her new crew‘s issues, which does remind me a bit of On Basilisk Station, but on a yacht, not a warship. Then there are the annoying young adults. ;)

I was expecting combat at some point, but instead I was led to another rich place and was first really grabbed by the fox hunt, yes you heard that right, and the developing relationship between Heris and her employer. Then seemingly out of the blue, the story takes a sharp turn into conflict, unexpected, but I enjoyed and was happy for it.

0205999C-00DD-4D17-B962-E5774BBE5DE3.jpeg

Having finished book 1, Riding Party, it might not technically be called a space opera. It’s close to the definition above, without the space combat. This does not make it any less enjoyable for me, but as I said if you insist on space combat you’ll have to wait or look elsewhere. Now onto Sporting Chance. :D

As noted, these book were sold as a single bound volume.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.