Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I made a strategic decision and changed the title of this thread to make it more inclusive and added the definition of Space Opera to post 1, repeated here:
Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, interplanetary battles, chivalric romance, and risk-taking. Set mainly or entirely in outer space, it usually involves conflict between opponents possessing advanced abilities, futuristic weapons, and other sophisticated technology. The term has no relation to music, as in a traditional opera, but is instead a play on the terms "soap opera", a melodramatic television series, and "horse opera"...

That said, I have been reading Heris Serrano on @Scepticalscribe’s reccomendation and just completed the first enjoyable book included in this 3 in 1 compilation, written by a gal from a Texas. :)

As with any new book, in a new story universe there is a period of adjustment, as you get to know the character and the environment they exist in. It starts out with a “disgraced” Naval Captain (in space of course) who having resigned her commission takes a job on a rich old lady’s space yacht. I’ll be honest, as I read though the beginning of this book, I was wondering where it would lead. She is on a space ship, hired as it’s Captain, learning about her new crew‘s issues, which does remind me a bit of On Basilisk Station, but on a yacht, not a warship. Then there are the annoying young adults. ;)

I was expecting combat at some point, but instead I was led to another rich place and was first really grabbed by the fox hunt, yes you heard that right, and the developing relationship between Heris and her employer. Then seemingly out of the blue, the story takes a sharp turn into conflict, unexpected, but I enjoyed and was happy for it.
Having finished book 1, Riding Party, it might not technically be called a space opera. It’s close to the definition above, without the space combat. This does not make it any less enjoyable for me, but as I said if you insist on space combat you’ll have to wait or look elsewhere. Now onto Sporting Chance. :D

As noted, these book were sold as a single bound volume.

Combat - yes, space combat, too - will make an appearance, don't worry. Just not immediately, as there is some world-building - and character development - to do, first.

The second & third books add much more to this world (or, these worlds), politics, culture, sport, - and eventually, war - and some philosophical stuff - and together, all three comprise a complete narrative arc.

However, from the fourth book onwards, - which continues the story (broadly) - the world of Space Fleet becomes the setting for much of the story. And yes, there is more combat.

Actually, for an almost claustrophobic (and brilliant) book, mostly set on a single space ship (part of Fleet, i.e. a military setting), the fourth book, Once A Hero, is superb.

However, it makes a lot more sense if the original trilogy has been read first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good call, @Huntn, on the amended (or edited) thread title.

And yes, agreed the relationship - improbable and growing friendship - between Heris Serrano & Lady Cecilia is very well done; actually, Elizabeth Moon (who herself had served as a first lieutenant in the USMC) does female friendship & strong female characters in a military context very well.

Last edited:

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
I have read every one of the Hounor Harrington novels except the last. I also have them all in hardcover from when each was originally published. I love this character and have cried and bled and rejoiced through all of her adventures. Some of the finest writing and story telling I’ve experienced. I cannot recommend it’s highly enough. Enjoy!

Reactions: Huntn and eyoungren

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have read every one of the Hounor Harrington novels except the last. I also have them all in hardcover from when each was originally published. I love this character and have cried and bled and rejoiced through all of her adventures. Some of the finest writing and story telling I’ve experienced. I cannot recommend it’s highly enough. Enjoy!

Agreed, it is a fantastic series.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Having finished the first part of the Heris Serrano trilogy, Hunting Party, (to be continued), I’ve switched to The Honor of the Queen, Honor Harrington book 2, where Honor accompanies a delegation as the military muscle, to a planet run by religious zealots who are at odds with their stellar neighbors, religious fanatics. This is a planet that harkins back to the day when women could not vote, own property, etc, relegated to the kitchen so to speak, so you can ask why choose Honor, a female military officer for this job? Very good question! ? Of note, the zealots are more reasonable than the fanatics and Honor makes quite the impression while The People’s Republic of Haven, a developing adversary from book 1, tries to make inroads with the Fanatics. :)

90526E56-60C1-48B1-A4E7-5C7B2FD5485D.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m about halfway though The Honor of the Queen. This story has many great elements, some previously stated, Luddites, religious fanatics, a society built on institutionalized sexism, and an outstanding space combat ambush sequence that wrings all kind of emotions out of the characters and the reader! :)

03520E26-020F-4B57-BE4B-AD8C94E54682.jpeg

Reactions: eyoungren

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished Honor of the Queen, possibly the best single story in this series, although I admit I’m a bit fuzzy on the other entrees in this series. There’s an ambush, an assassination attempt, a mutiny, and a space duel between Harrington in a cruiser against a battle cruiser.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@Huntn: I have been reading (and enjoying) - actually, immersing myself in - the Honor Harrington universe for the past week or so.

Given your enthusiasm for the series, and the fact that you have recommended them so strongly and warmly (to me and to many others), I thought that you'd like to know.

Anyway, I am currently buried in In Enemy Hands, the seventh book of the series, and am thoroughly enjoying them.

Re Eizabeth Moon's series, I think that I should have recommended that you start with "Once A Hero", the fourth book in the series, (to my mind, possibly the best of the series) - the fifth book (Rules of Engagement) is also excellent - which are entirely military and then tracked back to the original three with Heris Serrano, and then, proceeded with the two further - final - books in the Serrano-Suiza sequence.

And, also, re "space opera" with a military setting, I will also strongly recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's series, the "Vorkosigan" series - which is absolutely brilliant; I can't recommend them highly enough. (The first two books, Shards Of Honour, and Barrayar, have the wonderful Cordelia Naismith has the protagonist; most - though not all - of the following books feature her son, the extraordinary Miles Vorkosigan, as the main protagonist).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn and eyoungren

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
@Huntn: I have been reading (and enjoying) - actually, immersing myself in - the Honor Harrington universe for the past week or so.

Given your enthusiasm for the series, and the fact that you have recommended them so strongly and warmly (to me and to many others), I thought that you'd like to know.

Anyway, I am currently immersed in In Enemy Hands, the seventh book of the series, and thoroughly enjoying them.

Love that series. Glad you are enjoying it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Love that series. Glad you are enjoying it.

Thank you.

Actually, I am enjoying the series to the extent that it is robbing me of sleep; there have been a number of very late nights (or early mornings) with the series - in other words, it is sufficiently gripping that the plan of "one last chapter before bed" tends to be broken as it inevitably becomes several more chapters consumed and devoured before bed and slumberland finally beckon.

Last edited:

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Craig Alanson's Expeditionary Force series (12 Books) is currently entertaining me; I'm on Book 5: Zero Hour.

51642410863_8f196aef26.jpg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Anyway, I am currently buried in In Enemy Hands, the seventh book of the series, and am thoroughly enjoying them.

Re Eizabeth Moon's series, I think that I should have recommended that you start with "Once A Hero", the fourth book in the series, - the fifth book (Rules of Engagement) is also excellent - which is entirely military (and, to my mind, possibly the best of the series) and then tracked back to the original three with Heris Serrano, and taken with the two further - final - books in the Serrano-Suiza sequence.

And, also, re "space opera" with a military setting, I will also strongly recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series which is absolutely brilliant; I can't recommend them highly enough. (The first two books, Shards Of Honour, and Barrayar, have the wonderful Cordelia Naismith has the protagonist; most - though not all - of the following books feature her son, the extraordinary Miles Vorkosigan, as the main protagonist).
I’m thrilled you are enjoying Honor Harrington! I’m currently working, shamefully slow on the third book of William Gibson’s Sprawl Trilogy (Cyberpunk), Mona Lisa Overdrive. I can see this not being everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m really enjoying the creativity, the world created in this series especially based on the time frame it was written and being forward looking.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@Huntn, I am now on HH - Honor Harrington No 10 (War of Honor).

Am I alone in deeply disliking Hamish Alexander, and whatever sort of - ah, relationship - that seems to be growing between himself and the protagonist (Honor Harrington) of these stories?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@Huntn, I am now on HH - Honor Harrington No 10 (War of Honor).

Am I alone in deeply disliking Hamish Alexander, and whatever sort of - ah, relationship - that seems to be growing between himslef and the protagonist of these stories?
If you don’t yet know where this ends up, you might be surprised. I should not say more, but, I was not bothered by her relationship as it ends up because:
It becomes a consensual agreement between the 3 of them. She seems to have limited opportunities to find love so I don’t begrudge her.
:)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you don’t yet know where this ends up, you might be surprised. I should not say more, but, I was not bothered by her relationship as it ends up because:
It becomes a consensual agreement between the 3 of them. She seems to have limited opportunities to find love so I don’t begrudge her.
:)
I never bought the justification for this. I get the situation and it makes sense. I just don't buy it. Perhaps that's just me and my own sense of honor and loyalty, but it just seemed something the author tried to make fit the situation he was writing.

It's a rare thing in the books I did not agree with.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoiler for @Scepticalscribe to be aware of. Can you resist? :D

She bonded with Hamish.

Why should that be annoying? Rhetorical. :)
I never bought the justification for this. I get the situation and it makes sense. I just don't buy it. Perhaps that's just me and my own sense of honor and loyalty, but it just seemed something the author tried to make fit the situation he was writing.

The author generated this situation as far as a plot. There have been real cases of communal living where people can have multiple intimate relationships. In this story due to an extreme medical condition Hamish’s wife is incapable of more than existing and communicating with others, incapable of physical intimacy, She meets Honor, likes her, grows to love her as family and has no issue with her husband being intimate with Honor because she is confident in her place in the threesome. I can see this, buy into the possibility, and am in no way revolted by the idea. Not an accusation. :) I’m good with it and the story in general.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Ah, excellent.

That is pretty much my position, as well, because I am enjoying the books (immensely), - everything to do with the war against the People's Republic of Haven was superb - and my grateful thanks to you, @Huntn, for introducing the series to me and for insisting that I read them - but I'm in complete agreement with @eyoungren on this particular aspect of the story.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The author generated this situation as far as a plot. There have been real cases of communal living where people can have multiple intimate relationships. In this story due to an extreme medical condition Hamish’s wife is incapable of more than existing and communicating with others, incapable of physical intimacy, She meets Honor, likes her, grows to love her as family and has no issue with her husband being intimate with Honor because she is confident in her place in the threesome. I can see this, buy into the possibility, and am in no way revolted by the idea. Not an accusation. :) I’m good with it and the story in general.
As I said, I understood the situation and within the book and those involved it makes sense. But there is something in me that does not agree with it. It's not something that for myself I would condone or engage in. I am not saying it's wrong in their context, it's just not something I could agree to in my own life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.