Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Reactions: icanhazapple

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
I'm just asking a question, but why does everyone want a "Qualcomm" model so bad? I'm on AT&T. I bought the AT&T version, am I missing something out by not getting that?
Not much to worry about. The whole world minus a very few small markets who use CDMA tech will have the model you have. As others have stated it's a non issue and the difference is negligible, hence why this is the only place you would hear about something like this. Do not worry about it.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Not much to worry about the whole world minus a very few small markets who use CDMA tech will have the model you have. As others have stated it's a non issue and the difference is negligible, hence why this is the only place you would hear about something like this. Do not worry about it.

i think the point tho is why when your spending essentially 1k on a device why should you be happy with and intentionally crippled/intentionally inferior device...its bad for consumers...apple shouldn't be allowed to get away with it...but cause its apple no one complains or makes a fuss.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Not much to worry about the whole world minus a very few small markets who use CDMA tech will have the model you have. As others have stated it's a non issue and the difference is negligible, hence why this is the only place you would hear about something like this. Do not worry about it.
I can't wait until Verizon shuts down CDMA for good (and builds out LTE much farther as a result / refarms CDMA to LTE). It's the NIMBYS (Not In My Back Yard) and people who refuse to give up their 10 year old flip phones standing in the way of progress.

Reactions: webbuzz

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
i think the point tho is why when your spending essentially 1k on a device why should you be happy with and intentionally crippled/intentionally inferior device...its bad for consumers...apple shouldn't be allowed to get away with it...but cause its apple no one complains or makes a fuss.
I understand completely, but if it was up to Apple there would only be the one version, they don't want to produce the Qualcomm version they just have to
[doublepost=1509562815][/doublepost]
I can't wait until Verizon shuts down CDMA for good (and builds out LTE much farther as a result / refarms CDMA to LTE). It's the NIMBYS (Not In My Back Yard) and people who refuse to give up their 10 year old flip phones standing in the way of progress.
Agreed

Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
The VZW/Sprint model are the best iPhones because they support all LTE Bands, allow for CDMA service, and have the Qualcomm Radio. Gonna research for a minute and will update this post. But I know the Sprint iPhones work on every GSM carrier here in the US...ive used an Unlocked Sprint 7 Plus on ATT and T-mobile Networks.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

This shows the bands available on each on the 7 plus which should be the same on the X
Right, which is the same as the SIM-free model. My point was he/she could wait for the SIM-free model. You know, which was the question in the OP.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
I understand completely, but if it was up to Apple there would only be the one version, they don't want to produce the Qualcomm version they just have to

They don't want to produce the Qualcomm version, because they're greedy as fk...the whole lawsuit is because Apple feels that Qualcomm is charging too much to use their technology...FFS aside from Samsung (samsung has their own Exynos platform), no other Android OEM has such complaints...Apple just doesn't want to pay...so what did they do...they negotiated with Intel a cheaper rate for an inferior component...there are some things Apple is great at...but there are somethings that Apple does that makes me hate them a bit... #dualityofcorporations.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
You can either go with Worst Buy, Target, Walmart, OR wait for Apple's unlocked SIM FREE version. If you want it sooner, get a buddy who's on Verizon to give you their last 4 digits of their SS number and use their account info to buy the phone outright, and BEFORE you turn the phone on, have them call Verizon and explain what happened and that they're keeping their old iPhone.

It's worth it, my Qualcomm 8+ kills my wife's ATT Intel-craptastic 8+ (She's on NEXT while I buy my iPhone outright)
way better reception in rural areas and fast download too. The difference isn't really their if we're in the city though...

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
You can either go with Worst Buy, Target, Walmart, OR wait for Apple's unlocked SIM FREE version. If you want it sooner, get a buddy who's on Verizon to give you their last 4 digits of their SS number and use their account info to buy the phone outright, and BEFORE you turn the phone on, have them call Verizon and explain what happened and that they're keeping their old iPhone.

It's worth it, my Qualcomm 8+ kills my wife's ATT Intel-craptastic 8+ (She's on NEXT while I buy my iPhone outright)
way better reception in rural areas and fast download too. The difference isn't really their if we're in the city though...

This illustrates why, I say apple or any other corporation shouldn't be allowed to do this kind of crap to its customers...you pay top dollar for a device, you should get the device as it was meant to be..not something crippled.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
This illustrates why, I say apple or any other corporation shouldn't be allowed to do this kind of crap to its customers...you pay top dollar for a device, you should get the device as it was meant to be..not something crippled.
But what happens when they implement only Intel chips when they're capable of both CDMA and GSM? Thats the direction they're moving

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
But what happens when they implement only Intel chips when they're capable of both CDMA and GSM? Thats the direction they're moving

And thats fine since there won't be a better version being sold alongside a crippled version at that point..although unless Intel engineers better performance, it will still be outperformed by the Qcom chip sadly..like i said the only reason this is even a talking point is cause Apple is refusing to pay the fees to use a Qcom chip...even tho Qcom is the superior component.

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I can not imagine Target getting a lot of iPhones either. Maybe a few of each color and memory size. The Target employees will get offer to hold the phone for friends so . . . . .

Yeah I agree. I'm just gonna go to some Target in some obscure area on my way to work on Friday. I won't miss work since it opens before I start, and worst case scenario, either they don't have any or they're sold out and I just go about my day like normal

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
And thats fine since there won't be a better version being sold alongside a crippled version at that point..although unless Intel engineers better performance, it will still be outperformed by the Qcom chip sadly..like i said the only reason this is even a talking point is cause Apple is refusing to pay the fees to use a Qcom chip...even tho Qcom is the superior component.
Yea exactly I was just wondering how you felt after all the chips were produced by the same manufacturer

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Pretty sure someone could hand you an AT&T phone and say it was a Verizon model and you would never know the difference. Same with everyone else on the planet.
You'd know when you go to switch carriers and find out it doesn't work on their network.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yea exactly I was just wondering how you felt after all the chips were produced by the same manufacturer

I find it a little telling of how the corporate culture has changed at apple since Jobs passed...I can't imagine Jobs would have allowed a clearly inferior version (intel) to be sold alongside the superior performing (qualcom) version..Also i don't think he would have allowed the notch on the X to pass either...definitely isn't the same Apple we all used to love.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Wait, so all US LTE bands (including those used by at&t/t-mobile) are supported with the Verizon/Sprint model?

What LTE bands are missing from the Sprint/Verizon version? Otherwise they would would have made a single phone.

Not if you are trying to diversify your parts supply.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah I agree. I'm just gonna go to some Target in some obscure area on my way to work on Friday. I won't miss work since it opens before I start, and worst case scenario, either they don't have any or they're sold out and I just go about my day like normal

Agreed. You never know and just think how great of a day it would be to walk out with the X of your choice!

Last edited:
Reactions: questionmark32

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Apple’s ultimate goal is to have an in-house solution, or to be majority shareholder of a company that produces (insert part here).

The diversified supply chain is next best option because it increases Apple’s leverage on pricing.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Hey mjr1000, the way you've phrased the question is a little confusing.
If you have an iPhone on an AT&T Next plan then it is locked to that network until the device is fully paid off. Until that period, the device is fully locked to the carrier in which you have that installment plan with whether Verizon, AT&T, etc.
Even if purchased at Best Buy?
[doublepost=1509564872][/doublepost]
Why?

There is not guarantee that you will get the "Qualcomm" version. If you're on AT&T, get the AT&T one. If you're worried about all this, buy a phone outright from Apple. Problem solved.

I don't get these threads worrying about locked, unlocked, GSM, CDMA --- future proofing a phone purchase. Makes no sense. It's easier to not buy the damn phone to begin with.

Turning a simple thing into something super complicated - seems to be the American way.
If purcsing from Best Buy, yes you are guaranteed the Qualcomm phone.
[doublepost=1509564989][/doublepost]
If you're purchasing the phone on ATT Next, you're buying the phone from ATT so your going to get the ATT (Intel) version. The only way to guarantee that you get the Qcom version is buying it from Verizon or Sprint..the straight unlocked ones form Apple I believe will still be Intel, unless you specify Sprint or Verizon as your carrier..Apple and Qcom are involved in a bitter lawsuit...there are reports Apple will drop Qcom entirely for future iPhones because of this...Which is sad because Qcom radios are pretty much the default standard...the fact Apple is throttling Qcom chipsets to intentionally limit performance cause the Intel radio gets outperformed so badly is telling...Personally I have a Sprint account, as such I ordered the X on sprint and will unlock it for use on ATT/Tmobile and put my 7 Plus back on Sprint.
This is not true. Best Buy only carries the Qualcomm version. Check the model numbers.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Even if purchased at Best Buy?
[doublepost=1509564872][/doublepost]
If purcsing from Best Buy, yes you are guaranteed the Qualcomm phone.
[doublepost=1509564989][/doublepost]
This is not true. Best Buy only carries the Qualcomm version. Check the model numbers.

if they do thats great, ive never bought a phone from BB so I didn't know.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
I thought they were killing off CDMA soon anyways. My call quality on my Intel modem is crystal clear so I don't see a problem. Is it really a huge difference? You would think its more widespread if that was the case.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
To answer the OPs question, while you will be able to get the Qualcomm modem version on AT&T Next, it will be locked because Best Buy and other retailers will not complete carrier financing sales without performing an activation, locking the phone to AT&T.

*edit: Because I’m an idiot I forgot that you could order your device online and pick AT&T Next as the payment method... in which case the phone would obviously arrive sealed. I’m not certain how it would work out if you then activated with a Verizon SIM.

Last edited:

dysert

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
I have purchased the Sim free iphones from Apple and they have both CDMA and GSM capabilities. In the case of the iPhone 7 they are the same model number as the phone sold by Verizon. I was using my sim free iPhone 7 on ATT but now have a Verizon account and it works with both. The first thing the Verizon rep did was confirm the model number of my phone to affirm compatibility. Either buy a Verizon iPhone X now which I did, or wait a while until Apple starts offering the sim free version, it along with the Verizon phone will give you the flexibility to use any provider in the US and international marketplace. I always buy a sim when I am abroad,and use their data plans as they are a lot less money. I can get 10 gigabytes of LTE data for half of what att charges for 800 Megabytes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.