Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
I thought they were killing off CDMA soon anyways. My call quality on my Intel modem is crystal clear so I don't see a problem. Is it really a huge difference? You would think its more widespread if that was the case.

Soon is maybe 2020 at the earliest for Verizon. Probably further out for Sprint. All the obsessive posters here will likely be on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th phone by then. )

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
You would absolutely know the second you leave LTE coverage and try to place a CDMA call on Verizon- you won't be able to because the Intel modem lacks CDMA capability.

OP, I believe that the Best Buy phones are the universal models as others have said, but if you buy it using at&t next, it'll be locked to at&t. But yes, you'll get the Qualcomm modem.
i think the point tho is why when your spending essentially 1k on a device why should you be happy with and intentionally crippled/intentionally inferior device...its bad for consumers...apple shouldn't be allowed to get away with it...but cause its apple no one complains or makes a fuss.
Yes, this. Everyone is getting one of these two phones - one is intentionally crippled and the other is an inferior product. I wonder if it will eventually be possible to unlock the full features of the Qualcomm modem, which is a gigabit LTE modem.

Also, I did see a graphic that showed the Qualcomm iPhone 8 performing better than the Intel. Lastly, there is a chance that the Qualcomm phones battery will outlast the Intel.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.GIF
    IMG_0011.GIF
    180.3 KB · Views: 204

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
So, who is taking bets on when the SIM-free Unlocked model gets released for sale? Before Dec 11-18, I hope!

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
So, who is taking bets on when the SIM-free Unlocked model gets released for sale? Before Dec 11-18, I hope!
My plan was to wait for the SIM-free, ordered a full-price AT&T instead. My guess is mid-December to mid-January.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
My plan was to wait for the SIM-free, ordered a full-price AT&T instead. My guess is mid-December to mid-January.
I did the same. I can't really tell if I care that much to wait. My estimated delivery date is Dec 11-18, so if they do release the SIM free models around Thanksgiving I may cancel my order and re-order the SIM free model. But I might just say **** it and get my grubby hands on the phone ASAP and not go through that massive rigamarole.

Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I did the same. I can't really tell if I care that much to wait. My estimated delivery date is Dec 11-18, so if they do release the SIM free models around Thanksgiving I may cancel my order and re-order the SIM free model. But I might just say **** it and get my grubby hands on the phone ASAP and not go through that massive rigamarole.
Mine arrives Friday, it isn't a huge deal for me. Hopefully next year is different.

Reactions: joesegh

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I'm a T-Mobile & Project FI user, but I bought a Verizon phone. I knew the Sim-free model would not be available for pre-order, so I did the next best thing. I actually signed up for a month of post-paid Verizon service just so I could order the "verizon" / sim-free model. That said...I don't buy into the whole intel vs qualcomm performance argument as I've not seen a difference in the iPhone 7Plus models I tried last year.

I was hellbent on getting the "Verizon" model for two reasons.

1. I travel Internationally for work ALL the time. Many places I go in Asia still have some CDMA networks. 95% of the time, either iPhone will work as both models have fantastic LTE coverage, but I wanted the extra 5% coverage for my travels.

2. If I ever decide to resell (I switch phones often because I'm a total nerd)... the Verizon model is the exact same model as the sim free. This means I can not only sell it to anyone on any US carrier, but I can sell it to anyone worldwide (except Japan presumably).

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
The Qualcomm/Intel modem issue is a perfect internet debate topic - virtually no way to conclusively test and verify the claims, and self-declared geniuses on both side arguing to the death over who gets the last word.

Reactions: mcdj and joesegh

LESKFISH

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
Atlanta
My Att iphone x that I pre-ordered for delivery on a next plan through Best Buy is Model # MQA92LL/A which is the qualcomm modem so I'd say any phone purchased through best buy regardless of the carrier chosen is the universal model and you don't have to screw around with activating it on another network for that to be so... it's already the qualcomm modem but it's locked to whoever you activate it on unless you buy the verizon version which will apparently unlock it once activated. I'm not really worried about being locked to att since they will unlock it as soon as I pay it off anyway.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
My Att iphone x that I pre-ordered for delivery on a next plan through Best Buy is Model # MQA92LL/A which is the qualcomm modem so I'd say any phone purchased through best buy regardless of the carrier chosen is the universal model and you don't have to screw around with activating it on another network for that to be so... it's already the qualcomm modem but it's locked to whoever you activate it on unless you buy the verizon version which will apparently unlock it once activated. I'm not really worried about being locked to att since they will unlock it as soon as I pay it off anyway.
That's not the Qualcomm/CDMA model.

See these two pages:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...nt-australia-hong-kong-china-a1865-specs.html
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/specs/apple-iphone-x-att-t-mobile-global-a1901-specs.html

LESKFISH

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
Atlanta

Neither of those use the identifier MQA92LL/A which is the model of the phone that I have purchased. The MQA92LL/A version is the same model as the Verizon version that they sell. If you go to this site https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-x-models-a1865-a1901-a1902-differences/ it actually lists the model number "identifier" I purchased (MQA92LL/A) under the A1865 model which is the one with the qualcomm modem. Let me know if I'm not reading that correctly but I'm pretty sure I did. How do I know that mine is the MQA92LL/A version? Attached is a screenshot of my bestbuy order showing it.
[doublepost=1509632503][/doublepost]the MQA92LL/A version is the "Sim-Free" version

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 184

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Are you guys 100% sure Target, walmart and best buy all carry the Verizon version? I plan on hitting up target first in the morning, then on to best buy if i cant get one at target and then finally walmart if all else fails. Prefer not to waste my time if there is no conclusive answer to target/walmart.

Thank you!!

narenh

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I'm eating the $30 non-refundable activation fee and signed up for a new Sprint line when I ordered the phone at midnight. It arrives tomorrow (locked, but paid in full), and I'll call Sprint to terminate my service and unlock the phone so I can use it on AT&T (personal line) and Verizon (work line, so couldn't upgrade it).

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Best Buy carries the universal carrier device model, which is the Qualcomm version.

Hypothetically speaking, if you do it in a financing with AT&T, you technically could stick a Verizon SIM in first to "unlock" it, then stick your AT&T SIM in after and continue your financing with AT&T.

Reactions: mjr1000

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Are you guys 100% sure Target, walmart and best buy all carry the Verizon version? I plan on hitting up target first in the morning, then on to best buy if i cant get one at target and then finally walmart if all else fails. Prefer not to waste my time if there is no conclusive answer to target/walmart.

Thank you!!
Yes, because phones sold by those retailers are all subject to the flex policy, they all carry the universal model (the Qualcomm version). Again, this does not mean unlocked. It means that's it locks to the carrier who's SIM is used to first activate it. Verizon's locking policy is to unlock, so activate with a Verizon SIM regardless of what carrier you plan to use it with. Now as for these stores having the X on launch day, nobody knows. Best Buy is a better bet because they had pre-ordering available. Target and Walmart may be left out of this first wave.
[doublepost=1509679971][/doublepost]
Best Buy carries the universal carrier device model, which is the Qualcomm version.

Hypothetically speaking, if you do it in a financing with AT&T, you technically could stick a Verizon SIM in first to "unlock" it, then stick your AT&T SIM in after and continue your financing with AT&T.
I think it's important to say this - this isn't a matter of doing something sneaky or inappropriate. Verizon customers get a more capable device in terms of parts (Qualcomm CDMA/GSM modem) and in terms of the customers ability to use it on other carriers as needed (such as while traveling internationally). AT&T customers spend the same money for a lesser and locked device. What else can be done?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Soon is maybe 2020 at the earliest for Verizon. Probably further out for Sprint. All the obsessive posters here will likely be on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th phone by then. )
Call quality on LTE is light years above anything else.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, because phones sold by those retailers are all subject to the flex policy, they all carry the universal model (the Qualcomm version). Again, this does not mean unlocked. It means that's it locks to the carrier who's SIM is used to first activate it. Verizon's locking policy is to unlock, so activate with a Verizon SIM regardless of what carrier you plan to use it with. Now as for these stores having the X on launch day, nobody knows. Best Buy is a better bet because they had pre-ordering available. Target and Walmart may be left out of this first wave.
[doublepost=1509679971][/doublepost]
I think it's important to say this - this isn't a matter of doing something sneaky or inappropriate. Verizon customers get a more capable device in terms of parts (Qualcomm CDMA/GSM modem) and in terms of the customers ability to use it on other carriers as needed (such as while traveling internationally). AT&T customers spend the same money for a lesser and locked device. What else can be done?

Thank you and I only care about the modem.. on AT&T so im ok with being locked while under contract (att next)

ShinyApps

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2016
East Coast
Quick background - Apple again will have at least 2 versions of the iPhone X - one with a Qualcomm modem for CDMA networks (Verizon/Sprint) and one with an Intel modem for GSM networks (AT&T/T-Mobile). There is some evidence, most anecdotal, that the superior Qualcomm chip outperforms the Intel chip in terms of service connectivity (more bars), upload/download speeds (on LTE), and battery life (due to size of the components). Apple has admitted to throttling the Qualcomm chip to perform at the lower level of the Intel chip. It is clear that the Qualcomm variant comes with the premium parts. It also works on both CDMA and GSM networks, so it would work on AT&T for instance, and some data suggests that the Qualcomm variant pulls better data speeds on AT&T than the Intel version.

Ok - so how do AT&T customers get the Qualcomm phone. Unfortunately, AT&T customers who purchase phones directly from Apple or AT&T, even if paid in full, will get the Intel version. However, if you purchase the phone from a US retailer like Best Buy, Target, or Walmart, you will get the Qualcomm version because these retailers carry the "universal" model of the iPhone which has the flexibility to work with all US carriers. Best buy is offering pre-sales but it is less clear whether Target and Walmart will have them and when.

Now comes my question to someone who has insight into how these phones are locked to the carrier upon activation.

My understanding is that if you activate the phone with a Verizon SIM card, regardless of what carrier you actually use, the phone will be unlocked as that is Verizon's iPhone locking policy. Verizon iPhones are factory unlocked. The question - does this have to be a Paid-In-Full phone or can you do the same with a phone purchased on a carriers installment plan? For instance, if I purchase a phone using AT&T Next (meaning it is on contract), can I still activate it using a Verizon SIM to unlock the phone and use it on my AT&T Next plan without problem. The reason anyone might want to do this is because the Verizon unlocked phone also works with pre-paid international SIM cards while traveling abroad.

The question again - can you Verizon SIM activate an iPhone purchased from Best Buy on an AT&T Next plan and use it on AT&T without issue?

Thanks!
Yes you can...I did it with an iPhone 7....TWICE!

Reactions: mjr1000

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Can't you just buy Verizon phone from Apple Store? Since they are all unlocked should be fine no?

Unless you need an Verizon account to buy it? Can't remember if Apple requires you to verify carrier if you buy it outright.

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I’m at a Target right now. I’m literally the only person here. They have the iPhone X here so I’m gonna buy it here then cancel my Apple.com order.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I’m at a Target right now. I’m literally the only person here. They have the iPhone X here so I’m gonna buy it here then cancel my Apple.com order.
Score! I checked Target.com and indeed some stores claim "limited stock."
[doublepost=1509714464][/doublepost]
Can't you just buy Verizon phone from Apple Store? Since they are all unlocked should be fine no?

Unless you need an Verizon account to buy it? Can't remember if Apple requires you to verify carrier if you buy it outright.
Need an existing Verizon account, along with last 4 of the SSN of the account holder and the account passcode.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Score! I checked Target.com and indeed some stores claim "limited stock."
[doublepost=1509714464][/doublepost]
Need an existing Verizon account, along with last 4 of the SSN of the account holder and the account passcode.

What do you mean to activate it? I heard as long as you use another Verizon sim your fine? Also that Att will work as well to activate it will just lock to Att.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
If you have AT&T, all the Target phones are the Qualcomm phones everyone here wants
Did your Target mention how much stock they had? I called my local Target and they had received 0. I am in a major metropolitan area.
[doublepost=1509718032][/doublepost]
What do you mean to activate it? I heard as long as you use another Verizon sim your fine? Also that Att will work as well to activate it will just lock to Att.
We're confusing a few questions. The question I was replying to was - cant you just buy the Verizon phone in full from the Apple store. And the answer to that is not without having a Verizon account. At least that's my understanding. AT&T customers who want the "Verizon" phone need to get from Best Buy, Walmart, or Target.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Did your Target mention how much stock they had? I called my local Target and they had received 0. I am in a major metropolitan area.
[doublepost=1509718032][/doublepost]
We're confusing a few questions. The question I was replying to was - cant you just buy the Verizon phone in full from the Apple store. And the answer to that is not without having a Verizon account. At least that's my understanding. AT&T customers who want the "Verizon" phone need to get from Best Buy, Walmart, or Target.

Well I'm about 20 min away from finding that out. Got both an ATT and Verizon reserved. Apple employee also said should be no issue as long as paid in full.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.