Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
The other night at 2am I woke up to a loud noise from downstairs in our house šŸ˜³ We have a security system, etc, and my assumption was it wasn't an intruder. But I was also very tired, it was cold and I'm lazy, so I didn't want to have to physically investigate! I had my iPphone and my AirPods w/ me, and my first thought was to use our downstairs HomePod as a "listening device" so I could hear any other movement/talking/etc. But I haven't been able to find a way to do that.

Unless I'm missing something very obviousā€¦ is there a way to do this? It seems pretty basic?

tia

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Intention and obviousness. A security camera is intended to record video and audio. So if you see one to know youā€™re being (potentially) recorded. That is not the case with what is first and foremost a playback device, like the HomePod.
Again, I get it. But for *local* personal use why can't I access my device's microphone? Oh well.

Reactions: Alex Cai

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Again, I get it. But for *local* personal use why can't I access my device's microphone? Oh well.
Intruders have a right to privacy too.

Kidding of course but I think being able to use your own HomePod in your own home to tap into the microphone and listen in would be a great idea and I personally donā€™t need it (two large dogs, cameras everywhere). It already uses the microphone for smoke alarm detection and sends a notification.

Unfortunately you canā€™t but you could at least try to scare them off using intercom and some choice words.

Reactions: JungleNYC

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
How would this be any different than a wifi security camera connected via HomeKit?
It isn't.
Intention and obviousness. A security camera is intended to record video and audio. So if you see one to know youā€™re being (potentially) recorded. That is not the case with what is first and foremost a playback device, like the HomePod.
Amazon Alexa has this feature and the ring lights up green and it makes an alert sound. It's completely doable without being a privacy concern.

AlastorKatriona

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Thanks. I figured as much. But doesn't this seem like an obvious feature to have?
No, because listening to a room is not a feature. For an Apple device to have a functionality at all, it needs to be wrapped up in a feature...a clearly defined feature with a purpose and use case. Just because a hardware device has a capability does not mean the functionality will be exposed to the user, unless it can be extended to a feature. And listening to a room is not a feature.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
The other night at 2am I woke up to a loud noise from downstairs in our house šŸ˜³ We have a security system, etc, and my assumption was it wasn't an intruder. But I was also very tired, it was cold and I'm lazy, so I didn't want to have to physically investigate! I had my iPphone and my AirPods w/ me, and my first thought was to use our downstairs HomePod as a "listening device" so I could hear any other movement/talking/etc. But I haven't been able to find a way to do that.

Unless I'm missing something very obviousā€¦ is there a way to do this? It seems pretty basic?

tia
Install a camera, it will pick up the sound and video if you are worried about security. Or you could get a baby monitor. Even if HomePod listened, how would you access it with iPhone?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Do you feel similarly when a phone call says its being monitored or recorded, or is it only a privacy concern when a smart speaker does it for some reason?

When Iā€™m informed and consent (even tacitly by continuing the call) I have no problem with it. I do have concerns when a device, whether in my own home or in someone elseā€™s home, records ambient conversations without informing those being recorded that this is occurring. Thereā€™s even the possibility that this is illegal.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I agree. Itā€™s already being used for smoke alarm detection so it already must be always listening. I fail to see how this is a privacy issue in your own home.

Will you install a sign that informs your guests that they, too, are being recorded? If so, go for it.

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
When Iā€™m informed and consent (even tacitly by continuing the call) I have no problem with it. I do have concerns when a device, whether in my own home or in someone elseā€™s home, records ambient conversations without informing those being recorded that this is occurring. Thereā€™s even the possibility that this is illegal.
You even quoted my post that explains how Amazon echo notifies users both visually and audibly and somehow you still believe that's being done "without informing" people? Make that make sense.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Will you install a sign that informs your guests that they, too, are being recorded? If so, go for it.
When Iā€™m in someone elseā€™s home, I donā€™t ever assume that what I do or say is private. Are you obligated to disclose hidden cameras in your own home to whoever enters, invited or uninvited? I donā€™t think so. I donā€™t see how that makes any difference. Audio and video vs just audio.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Lucky for me, Iā€™m in NYS and going by the OPā€™s username, Iā€™d venture to say they are too. Definitely do not need a sign on my property informing people that they are being recorded.

1702076930545.png

Reactions: JungleNYC

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
You even quoted my post that explains how Amazon echo notifies users both visually and audibly and somehow you still believe that's being done "without informing" people? Make that make sense.

Iā€™m not talking about an Amazon Echo. Iā€™m talking about a HomePod. Make sense?

Reactions: KENESS

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
Iā€™m not talking about an Amazon Echo. Iā€™m talking about a HomePod. Make sense?
No. It really doesnt make sense. Please clarify the response you gave to that comment then, where you said "Itā€™s doable. And yet itā€™s still a privacy concern." as a response to me when I suggested something similar could be done with homepod. What's the privacy concern?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.