Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I heard that Apple admitted they made new updates slow down the iPhone 6. Which update was that?
I think I have already accidentally upgraded to a new update that slowed down the performance.

Right now it's using version 11.1.2.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I heard that Apple admitted they made new updates slow down the iPhone 6. Which update was that?
Getting some more information about something that was heard is probably a good first step to get a better grasp on it. You might be talking about power management features that exist for many devices and have been around since about iOS 10. They get generally enabled if the battery isn't in a good shape so they certainly don't just apply to all particular models or something like that. They can also be disabled by the end user since about iOS 11.

That aside, in general, and probably even more so for older devices, if they are on iOS 11 already, they are more than likely better off being on iOS 12, at the very least from performance/stability side of things.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Getting some more information about something that was heard is probably a good first step to get a better grasp on it. You might be talking about power management features that exist for many devices and have been around since about iOS 10. They get generally enabled if the battery isn't in a good shape so they certainly don't just apply to all particular models or something like that. They can also be disabled by the end user since about iOS 11.

That aside, in general, and probably even more so for older devices, if they are on iOS 11 already, they are more than likely better off being on iOS 12, at the very least from performance/stability side of things.

You mean it won't slow down after upgrading to iOS 12?

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
That's interesting. What about iPhone 4? Could it update to 12? I remember it becoming slow at the first update.

Last edited:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I think I have already accidentally upgraded to a new update that slowed down the performance.

Right now it's using version 11.1.2.

Keep in mind, while iOS 12 might be a tiny bit faster than iOS 11... it also drains your battery much faster as well:

To me the battery hit just isn’t worth it, so I plan on keeping my 8+ on iOS 11.4.1 (via TVos profile) until it no longer works. Even if other people in this thread swear that they don’t have any sort of battery drain issue I’ve seen enough threads about it in the iOS 12 section of the forum to be turned off about upgrading.

P.S. you might have people say “but but but... what about your security?!” But I’ve never had an issue on an older version of iOS and as long as you don’t do stupid things like clicking random links on bad websites or text messages you should be fine on 11.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I have an iPhone 6 on 11.4.1. It's not slow at all. It's set up as a "new phone".
It's as fast as my 6s on 11.4.1. Only thing I notice is, games take longer to load.
I disabled "Spotlight Search" & "Siri" since I never use them.
I installed the tvOS 12 Beta Profile to stop the update notifications.
Is there a reason why u don’t update to 12?
The majority of the forum here made good experience with ios12.

11 was the worst. Even my 5s works better on 12

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
My suggestion:
If you're on iOS 11, definitely upgrade to iOS 12 without thinking twice. It's better in every way

If you're on iOS 10, stay put.
If you're on iOS 9 but can't go to iOS 10, but only jump to iOS 12, stay put and count yourself lucky that you have an OS that was designed for your older model of iPhone.

Reactions: anonymous guy

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (under Storage, not iCloud) > find the iOS update and delete it.

It should stop any update prompts or auto update attempts - at least until the next OS update. Or whenever the device randomly decides to try downloading the update without your permission while your device is on wifi.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I agree with now you see it.
11 was awful. Performance was slow and sluggish compared to iOS 10 on all devices I used it with. Even when I used a X on it. If you are on 11 definitely move up to 12 and you will have better performance.

Ars did some testing and the older iOS devices (5s, 6 plus and mini2) all performed better on ios12 vs ios11.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...e-6-plus-and-ipad-mini-2-its-actually-faster/

I used a 5s for a short time on ios11 and it was dog-slow. My current 5s is on ios8 and it is really fast! Good as a backup phone/iPod for my XS Max (on ios12 of course) and when my BT headphones run out of power.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (under Storage, not iCloud) > find the iOS update and delete it.

It should stop any update prompts or auto update attempts - at least until the next OS update. Or whenever the device randomly decides to try downloading the update without your permission while your device is on wifi.
Without the tvos profile this only helps for a few days...

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
ios 12 is definitely faster than ios 11 on older devices, but battery time will be cut almost in half. So take this into account before updating!

RayB4

macrumors member
My 3 year old SE is on iOS 12.4 and I don’t have any battery problems even on a day of relatively heavy use. But I do carry a small Anker battery pack with me, it’s about the size of a woman’s lipstick and can fully charge an iPhone.
I always update to the latest iOS, I think it’s safer but I will wait a while before updating to iOS 13, probably until 13.1 and let others find the bugs.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
ios 12 is definitely faster than ios 11 on older devices, but battery time will be cut almost in half. So take this into account before updating!
So there seems to be something wrong with your device.
I usually run 4.5h SOT on my 6s.
And for sure it never was 9h...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.