Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
So there seems to be something wrong with your device.
I usually run 4.5h SOT on my 6s.
And for sure it never was 9h...
How exactly do you measure SOT? I’d be happy if something was wrong with my device, but I’m not alone in experiencing this judging from the many posts in this forum...

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
How exactly do you measure SOT? I’d be happy if something was wrong with my device, but I’m not alone in experiencing this judging from the many posts in this forum...
With the built in screen time and battery menus under settings

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
But screentime is not accurate - it doesn’t count the time you are calling, for example. And the value is only somewhat representative if you charge the phone overnight and don’t use it after midnight before taking it off the charger. The more accurate value (under the same presumptions) would be the screen in time in the 10-day view when focusing on the current day...

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
But screentime is not accurate - it doesn’t count the time you are calling, for example. And the value is only somewhat representative if you charge the phone overnight and don’t use it after midnight before taking it off the charger. The more accurate value (under the same presumptions) would be the screen in time in the 10-day view when focusing on the current day...
Yes i know. When i select a specific day I can see the screen on time just the battery usage is somewhat vague in the column. And also battery menu shows some minutes difference in usage. But generally it’s about 4.5h.
To be fair i also run an iphone 7 battery in my 6s.

a few weeks ago screen I had the discussion here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ordered-a-6s-with-no-regrets.2178541/

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
Interesting. Where did you get you 7 battery?

And can you show a screenshot with high sot and the last bar on the 10day battery view highlighted?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Interesting. Where did you get you 7 battery?

And can you show a screenshot with high sot and the last bar on the 10day battery view highlighted?
3rd party called from extremecells.de

I know it can be a problem with some but this brand had good reviews and so far I’m running it for 6months quite satisfied.

3F007C78-67A6-4B87-8830-4EFDAB66DF0B.png

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
What looks strange about this graph is that battery used is at almost 90%, whereas you seem to have 25% left. Are you sure you didn't use the phone before taking it off the charger on that calendar day? Or that you didn't charge again? Maybe you can on another day post the SOT again, but also an image of the 24h-graph. It would be really interesting for me, as I want to understand how such a high SOT can happen :)

Also, do you have access to a Mac and could run coconut battery to see the actual design and full charge capacities?

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
Reviving this thread, I just wanted to add one bit to my battery experience. I found at least one culprit for excessive standby battery usage (going from 100% to 84% in 6 hours of not touching the phone): my number was configured for a public IP address (called "Open Internet" by the provider), which means that it was bombarded with all kinds of traffic, and the modem barely went to sleep. Turning that off fixed my standby battery loss. Use time remains abysmal, on the other hand, but at least now it doesn't drop anymore when the phone is just lying around...

@maerz001, any chance of some more data from you?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Reviving this thread, I just wanted to add one bit to my battery experience. I found at least one culprit for excessive standby battery usage (going from 100% to 84% in 6 hours of not touching the phone): my number was configured for a public IP address (called "Open Internet" by the provider), which means that it was bombarded with all kinds of traffic, and the modem barely went to sleep. Turning that off fixed my standby battery loss. Use time remains abysmal, on the other hand, but at least now it doesn't drop anymore when the phone is just lying around...

@maerz001, any chance of some more data from you?
Where would one find out how their number is configured?

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
With my provider, this was a setting in the online profile. You have to login and check all settings. Probably most providers don't even offer such a setting, and it's certainly not enabled by default, so this will not apply to many people.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
Further update: I put in an iphone 7 battery (from the same suppier as maerz001, thanks for the hint!), and it works great. While I can't get the astounding numbers he does, it is an enormous improvement. Depending on how power-hungry the apps I run are, I can get between 3:15 to 3:45 hours of screen-time, with another 20-30min background time. That means I can get through the day without any problem (I usually end up with about 50% when i get home, and 30% when I put it on the charger). And that's already on ios 13.3.

Reactions: maerz001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.