Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamielomas1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Thread title is self-explanatory.

I'm tempted to get the iPhone 6s Plus (I'm on android right now), but really need the tweakability.

Has there been any news on this front?

TIA!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You can be confident that if there is a jailbreak to be announced/released, the exploits will be patched in the next iOS 9 update.

Basically don't keep your hopes up, even if a JB is released it'll just be patched over and over again, a real cat and mouse game. If you're going to buy an iPhone, you'll have to be resigned that you may be using stock iOS for some time.

Reactions: Jamielomas1983

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
You can be confident in the fact that you (Along with everyone else here) will have no ETA on a jailbreak until it is released. UNLESS you want to make your own jailbreak and then you can make whatever ETA you want.

iOS took months to jailbreak after it was released. I believe iOS 8 took less than iOS 7. No one knows about iOS 9.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Jamielomas1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
You can be confident in the fact that you (Along with everyone else here) will have no ETA on a jailbreak until it is released. UNLESS you want to make your own jailbreak and then you can make whatever ETA you want.

iOS took months to jailbreak after it was released. I believe iOS 8 took less than iOS 7. No one knows about iOS 9.

Okay, I'll get started on my own JB today. I'll share when I'm done, but please don't ask me about any ETA, otherwise I'll probably get pretty snippy and tell you to make your own.

Jamielomas1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
You can be confident that if there is a jailbreak to be announced/released, the exploits will be patched in the next iOS 9 update.

Basically don't keep your hopes up, even if a JB is released it'll just be patched over and over again, a real cat and mouse game. If you're going to buy an iPhone, you'll have to be resigned that you may be using stock iOS for some time.

Sounds reasonable, thanks. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple's next shot in the war against jailbreakers is something they call Rootless in iOS 9. Supposedly, this is going to make jailbreaks very difficult, if not impossible.

However, there has been a jailbreak with every major version of iOS and many different ones with minor versions. It's simply a matter of time.

The traditional US jailbreakers gave up around later versions of iOS 7 which is the reason most of the current jailbreaks are now Chinese based.

I do not doubt there will be a jailbreak for iOS 9 at some point. As mentioned, it's a game - a war. Release timing of a JB is critical. Release too soon and Apple will patch the exploits and you then have maybe one point release that is jailbreakable. Release too late and everyone has moved on to the next version of iOS.

So, some assumptions you can make. There will not be an immediate jailbreak release for iOS 9. They will wait until 9.1 or even 9.2. That's because Apple is known to push out a flurry of updates when releasing a new version of iOS. Any one of those minor updates could patch a jailbreak. Also, Apple tends to include fixes, patches and new features with .1 and .2 releases. So you won't see a jailbreak before then. That's tipping their hand to Apple if the JB devs have exploits they are holding.

But once .1 or more hits the talk of a jailbreak will increase and you can pretty much be assured it will happen at that point. Could be six months or more after the initial release of iOS 9.

Historically, that's the way it's worked.

You'll also note that in these forums, historically we will get an influx of people stating they no longer need a jailbreak and that we are all idiots to be waiting for one. Happens every time.

Reactions: faizoff

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
ih8sn0w has a video on his Twitter of him having an untethered jailbreak for iOS 9.
Didn't he (or was it someone else) also have a video of a working jailbreak for iOS 8?

Aren't these usually just developer jailbreaks that will never see the light of day because they utilize resources that can get the dev canned from the Apple developer program? Proof of concept sort of thing?

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Didn't he (or was it someone else) also have a video of a working jailbreak for iOS 8?

Aren't these usually just developer jailbreaks that will never see the light of day because they utilize resources that can get the dev canned from the Apple developer program? Proof of concept sort of thing?

I think it was i0n1c who had one for 8, and he won't release anything. At least we know its possible, so its likely (hopefully) we wont have to wait very long.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think it was i0n1c who had one for 8, and he won't release anything. At least we know its possible, so its likely (hopefully) we wont have to wait very long.
Yeah, for some reason I have the feeling it's been cracked already, but the devs are waiting so Apple can't slam the door shut on them.

I have no evidence to support that feeling in case anyone is wondering.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
I would agree. If ihatesnow can jailbreak ios9, you can bet others can, have or will. Best bet would be for them to wait until 9.1 is released, and then throw out the jailbreak. That way initial bugs in the ios can be ironed out, and we can enjoy a version that is stable and will longer lasting.

Jamielomas1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Apple's next shot in the war against jailbreakers is something they call Rootless in iOS 9. Supposedly, this is going to make jailbreaks very difficult, if not impossible.

However, there has been a jailbreak with every major version of iOS and many different ones with minor versions. It's simply a matter of time.

The traditional US jailbreakers gave up around later versions of iOS 7 which is the reason most of the current jailbreaks are now Chinese based.

I do not doubt there will be a jailbreak for iOS 9 at some point. As mentioned, it's a game - a war. Release timing of a JB is critical. Release too soon and Apple will patch the exploits and you then have maybe one point release that is jailbreakable. Release too late and everyone has moved on to the next version of iOS.

So, some assumptions you can make. There will not be an immediate jailbreak release for iOS 9. They will wait until 9.1 or even 9.2. That's because Apple is known to push out a flurry of updates when releasing a new version of iOS. Any one of those minor updates could patch a jailbreak. Also, Apple tends to include fixes, patches and new features with .1 and .2 releases. So you won't see a jailbreak before then. That's tipping their hand to Apple if the JB devs have exploits they are holding.

But once .1 or more hits the talk of a jailbreak will increase and you can pretty much be assured it will happen at that point. Could be six months or more after the initial release of iOS 9.

Historically, that's the way it's worked.

You'll also note that in these forums, historically we will get an influx of people stating they no longer need a jailbreak and that we are all idiots to be waiting for one. Happens every time.

Best response. Thanks!

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
They're already working on it. And pangu and probably keen will work together. I'd bet sooner than later.

I'm confident enough to buy a launch 6s and patiently wait.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I've got everything crossed. Can't wait to get a 6s but will wait for the JB to be released.

Apple have incorporated a lot of the JB tweaks into stock iOS but there's still a few things I can't do without.

If Apple would let you customise a bit more (not as in themes as in removing app names and hiding apps I'll never use) then I'd be happy enough with stock and buy before the JB but as it stands until the JB is out I won't be upgrading.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple have incorporated a lot of the JB tweaks into stock iOS but there's still a few things I can't do without.
This is a case where Apple's line about how they don't always do things first, but they do them better really sounds hypocritical.

Yes, Apple has incorporated a lot of JB tweaks.

But c'mon! Stock Apple Quick Reply (with no Quick Compose) versus BiteSMS Quick Reply AND Quick Compose?!!! Which can be THEMED!

Please. Just garbage Apple. And that is just one example. iBlacklist versus Apple's blocking features?! I could go on but I won't.

Reactions: IrishVixen

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
This is a case where Apple's line about how they don't always do things first, but they do them better really sounds hypocritical.

Yes, Apple has incorporated a lot of JB tweaks.

But c'mon! Stock Apple Quick Reply (with no Quick Compose) versus BiteSMS Quick Reply AND Quick Compose?!!! Which can be THEMED!

Please. Just garbage Apple. And that is just one example. iBlacklist versus Apple's blocking features?! I could go on but I won't.

No I absolutely agree.

But if I ever find myself stuck with stock iOS I'd rather have their lesser versions included in stock that not have them at all.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No I absolutely agree.

But if I ever find myself stuck with stock iOS I'd rather have their lesser versions included in stock that not have them at all.
I would feel the same if I was stuck on stock, so sure, I agree there.

It just seems to me though that Apple's adoption of various JB features is always lacking.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm debating whether to get 6s plus or hold off and keep my 6 plus.

stated this in another thread, but concerned about QC of 9.0 software and new hardware, the screen lottery, and the wait game.

could keep 6+ and get 6s+ and flip the 6+ when next jailbreak comes out. but i dunno...

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
With the Chinese releasing jbs in short time this past few ioses it wouldn't surprise me that one will come either in September or November. The Chinese need the jb to make money w their no apple app stores

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
With the Chinese releasing jbs in short time this past few ioses it wouldn't surprise me that one will come either in September or November. The Chinese need the jb to make money w their no apple app stores
Darn, I was really hoping for an October release, but I guess not ;)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Im pretty sure it will happen sooner or later.
Those chinese JB hackers have been pretty good so far.
In the past we didn't see so many JB's released for so many different ios versions of the same major iOS release.
Before the chinese groups came to the scene we would see 1 or 2 JB's tops and if you missed the boat you were SOL.
So I think our JB future is still looking pretty decent:)

Reactions: yui4 and eyoungren

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Okay, I'll get started on my own JB today. I'll share when I'm done, but please don't ask me about any ETA, otherwise I'll probably get pretty snippy and tell you to make your own.

Don't worry - I will be the last person to ask about the ETA on your jailbreak since I'm still jailbroken on iOS 7 with no plans to upgrade. But thanks for your concern.

If I were a betting man (which I'm not), I would bet that a jailbreak for iOS 9 won't be released until November. Just cause Apple will probably release a quick iOS 9.1 on top of iOS 9 - beta already out I believe. And no point in wasting the jailbreak if it could get patched before a quick major upgrade. There may even be a 9.2 that it waits for.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If I were a betting man (which I'm not), I would bet that a jailbreak for iOS 9 won't be released until November. Just cause Apple will probably release a quick iOS 9.1 on top of iOS 9 - beta already out I believe. And no point in wasting the jailbreak if it could get patched before a quick major upgrade. There may even be a 9.2 that it waits for.

Well said.
That would make perfect sense to hold off since the 9.1 beta has been out already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.