Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Like many others, I took advantage of the free data T-Mobile was giving away when the iPad Air came out. Then last week, AT&T started offering a $100 bill credit for adding a device to your mobile share value plan. So I got an AT&T nano sim and added my iPad to my plan.

Now I need to figure out how to cancel the T-mobile plan. I guess I could go into a T-Mobile store and do it, but I was kind of hoping to do it online.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Like many others, I took advantage of the free data T-Mobile was giving away when the iPad Air came out. Then last week, AT&T started offering a $100 bill credit for adding a device to your mobile share value plan. So I got an AT&T nano sim and added my iPad to my plan.

Now I need to figure out how to cancel the T-mobile plan. I guess I could go into a T-Mobile store and do it, but I was kind of hoping to do it online.

Me too. I can't even find that sim now but still get verification emails every month.

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
IF you don't connect to the network for 3 months the service is suspended. No issues.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I'd just give them a call or stop by the store. In my experience, they don't have a hounding customer service. They'll likely disconnect you with no hassle at all.

AT&T on the other hand made it very difficult for me to leave. :p

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
If you remember your email and password you used to set it up, go to https://mim.t-mobile.com/primary/openPage Once you sign in, go to view data, add change monthly plan, Looking to cancel link.

I followed your link/advice and got my account closed. Thank you.
I received a very nice email from t-Mo confirming and offering to re-up at any time.
It really bugs me that I can't find that sim lol

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Why bother. The plan is free for life so keep both plans.

----------

IF you don't connect to the network for 3 months the service is suspended. No issues.

Not too sure about- that it's been at least 6 mo or more, and I still get the emails.

I'm pretty sure I read that it's a year.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

I had the 1GB free data offer, and it expired, so now they're charging me the $10 a month. They promised to extend it indefinitely, so the next bill I got I was charged again. I called and the agent had no clue about having been promised free. I'm done dealing with their BS.

What's this AT&T deal you speak of? $100 bill credit is nice, but that's only 10 months free, and it's not really free, because it just deducts data used from the pool that you're already paying for anyhow... so they're just basically "allowing you to use what you pay for for 10 months" then you have to pay to be able to use the data you already pay for.

I have an account with 8 lines on it with ATT so I could add it to the pool, but it defeats the purpose. The T-mo promo was 1 GB free, and they didn't tell me that promotion was only good for a year until it expired. I'm pissy.

----------

Why bother. The plan is free for life so keep both plans.

It's just silly. In 2015, 200mb is basically a joke... it's T-Mo's way of boosting their net-adds to make themselves look like they're growing faster than they really are. It'd be one thing if they offered 200mb LTE as a carrot, then throttled down to HSPA after, but they don't, 200 and you're toast for the rest of the month. While people say "but it's free" ... who cares? It's like the people that line up around the block when starbucks does their free grande coffee afternoons. How much is your time worth dedicated to standing in line to get a $1.75 cup of coffee? And if 1GB of data is worth $10 including throttling unlimited once you pass it (and also includes free international roaming), I'd put a value of the 200 mb (the dies and no intl) at about $1 per month AT BEST.

It's not worth the hassle to me to even look online to see if I have any data left when I only get 200mb a month. $1 isn't worth it to me. Sorry.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It's just silly. In 2015, 200mb is basically a joke... it's T-Mo's way of boosting their net-adds to make themselves look like they're growing faster than they really are. It'd be one thing if they offered 200mb LTE as a carrot, then throttled down to HSPA after, but they don't, 200 and you're toast for the rest of the month. While people say "but it's free" ... who cares? It's like the people that line up around the block when starbucks does their free grande coffee afternoons. How much is your time worth dedicated to standing in line to get a $1.75 cup of coffee? And if 1GB of data is worth $10 including throttling unlimited once you pass it (and also includes free international roaming), I'd put a value of the 200 mb (the dies and no intl) at about $1 per month AT BEST.

It's not worth the hassle to me to even look online to see if I have any data left when I only get 200mb a month. $1 isn't worth it to me. Sorry.

If you want to pay for a monthly plan, the extra 200MB is probably not worth it.

Otherwise, it's great for limited checking of email, getting directions, etc. when you are not on wifi.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
If you want to pay for a monthly plan, the extra 200MB is probably not worth it.

Otherwise, it's great for limited checking of email, getting directions, etc. when you are not on wifi.

By limited you mean very very little haha

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Not at all unless you want to stream music or video. In that case, you pay for a monthly plan.

Or view non mobile web pages. Hell if you load the desktop version of cnn.comjust loading it takes 18 mb. That's 10% of your data on one page

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Dude,

The point of the 200MB plan is so you can try out their network to see how well it works in your area without the need to sign up for a plan and then cancel it.

The fact that it's free month after month it's an icing on the cake.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Dude,

The point of the 200MB plan is so you can try out their network to see how well it works in your area without the need to sign up for a plan and then cancel it.

The fact that it's free month after month it's an icing on the cake.

Sorry, your credibility ends when you begin with "Dude..."

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
By limited you mean very very little haha

Are you seriously whining about free data? Plus your free coffee example is not similar at all. I don't have to wait in line or do anything for the free data? It costs me $0 and 0 time. And the 2 or 3 times a year when I need to go over 200mb, buying an one-time 1GB or 3GB data package is literally 3 taps on the ipad - mere seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.