Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It's just silly. In 2015, 200mb is basically a joke... it's T-Mo's way of boosting their net-adds to make themselves look like they're growing faster than they really are. It'd be one thing if they offered 200mb LTE as a carrot, then throttled down to HSPA after, but they don't, 200 and you're toast for the rest of the month. While people say "but it's free" ... who cares? It's like the people that line up around the block when starbucks does their free grande coffee afternoons. How much is your time worth dedicated to standing in line to get a $1.75 cup of coffee? And if 1GB of data is worth $10 including throttling unlimited once you pass it (and also includes free international roaming), I'd put a value of the 200 mb (the dies and no intl) at about $1 per month AT BEST.

It's not worth the hassle to me to even look online to see if I have any data left when I only get 200mb a month. $1 isn't worth it to me. Sorry.

Your analogy is poor. While T-Mobile's 200MB plan is a carrot to get people to sign up for paid plan or buy one-time purchase on months you go over, the fact is, there's no extra work for you to get that free 200MB monthly data for life.

I agree with terrible login experience for checking data used and purchasing additional data though.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I had the 1GB free data offer, and it expired, so now they're charging me the $10 a month. They promised to extend it indefinitely, so the next bill I got I was charged again. I called and the agent had no clue about having been promised free. I'm done dealing with their BS.

What's this AT&T deal you speak of? $100 bill credit is nice, but that's only 10 months free, and it's not really free, because it just deducts data used from the pool that you're already paying for anyhow... so they're just basically "allowing you to use what you pay for for 10 months" then you have to pay to be able to use the data you already pay for.

I have an account with 8 lines on it with ATT so I could add it to the pool, but it defeats the purpose. The T-mo promo was 1 GB free, and they didn't tell me that promotion was only good for a year until it expired. I'm pissy.

----------

It's just silly. In 2015, 200mb is basically a joke... it's T-Mo's way of boosting their net-adds to make themselves look like they're growing faster than they really are. It'd be one thing if they offered 200mb LTE as a carrot, then throttled down to HSPA after, but they don't, 200 and you're toast for the rest of the month. While people say "but it's free" ... who cares? It's like the people that line up around the block when starbucks does their free grande coffee afternoons. How much is your time worth dedicated to standing in line to get a $1.75 cup of coffee? And if 1GB of data is worth $10 including throttling unlimited once you pass it (and also includes free international roaming), I'd put a value of the 200 mb (the dies and no intl) at about $1 per month AT BEST.

It's not worth the hassle to me to even look online to see if I have any data left when I only get 200mb a month. $1 isn't worth it to me. Sorry.

If they throttled free data to HSPA then Who would actually pay? I get around 10-15Mbps down on HSPA+ which is fast enough for all phone tasks. With those being throttled speeds who would pay? They are running a business after all. Also they've stated that the 200MB free plans don't count in their subscriber adds. The purpose is to get you to try out their service and switch your phone lines over if you like it. Also to possibly up sell more tablet data.
Dude,

The point of the 200MB plan is so you can try out their network to see how well it works in your area without the need to sign up for a plan and then cancel it.

The fact that it's free month after month it's an icing on the cake.

Exactly. Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.