Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
The wifi/bluetooth chip in my iPad Air 4 appears to have failed. I need to wipe the contents of the iPad but it won't let me do it without an internet connection. Any suggestions?

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Maybe you could go about replacing the wifi chip?

..Edit, there is no iFixit repair manual for this, and the repairability is 2/10. I feel really bad :<

• Love
Reactions: hooptyuber

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Use a computer to erase it using iTunes/Finder.

Then be sure to go to iCloud.com to remove the activation lock if you were signed into the iPad.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Use a computer to erase it using iTunes/Finder.

Then be sure to go to iCloud.com to remove the activation lock if you were signed into the iPad.

I tried “restore iPad” on one of my macs and got the below message. Catch 22.

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 1.31.24 PM.png

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Maybe you could go about replacing the wifi chip?

..Edit, there is no iFixit repair manual for this, and the repairability is 2/10. I feel really bad :<
First time I hear that any chip on an iPad can be individually replaced, besides Apple of course not selling spare parts either.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
If I remove the iPad from my account, will I be able to bypass the “remove FindMy” requirement?

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
If you want to wipe it because you plan to trash it, you can take it to a shredding service that destroys devices.

Or, maybe take it apart and find the SSD and destroy that.
It allegedly still has about $250 in trade-in value so I don't want to do that.

Reactions: antiprotest

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
You can use a usb-c to ethernet connector for network on the iPad as it has USB-c.

NOTE: this has low chance due to wifi/ethernet is likely broken also. Have you triad just erase to factory defaults?
I don't see that offered as an option anywhere.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Wait, couldn't you put it in DFU or recovery mode and then wipe it using iTunes (after removing it from your iCloud account on the web)?
Yeah, DFU mode should definitely work. I think even Recovery Mode would work as well. Recovery Mode is easier to get into.

Otherwise, search the web on how to get your iPad into DFU mode. It can be helpful to watch videos on YouTube too.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Yeah, DFU mode should definitely work. I think even Recovery Mode would work as well. Recovery Mode is easier to get into.

Otherwise, search the web on how to get your iPad into DFU mode. It can be helpful to watch videos on YouTube too.

Looks like recovery mode is doing the trick. Thank you, guys!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It allegedly still has about $250 in trade-in value so I don't want to do that.
I am surprised to see someone offering $250 for an iPad Air 4 with failed wifi/bluetooth chip.
As for removing activation lock, I think without proper built-in connection, the chance isn't very high, depending on how robust the fallback design is.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
First time I hear that any chip on an iPad can be individually replaced, besides Apple of course not selling spare parts either.
I thought their right to repair program would have some solution to this? If not, that's embarrassing.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I thought their right to repair program would have some solution to this? If not, that's embarrassing.

Like most computers these days you will be able to swap components in service but the main boards won’t be puzzles that you can freely put other chips onto.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Make sure you plug it in once more afterwards to activate it and verify it's not locked. When you get to the screen on the computer that asks if you want to restore a backup, that means activation was successful. You cannot trade in the iPad with activation lock enabled. All trade-in services refuse to take locked devices.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
The process iStorm referenced above removes activation lock, correct? I removed the iPad from my Apple account on my Mac. I ran the recovery process on the iPad a couple of times and get the multilingual “hello” greeting so I'm hoping that took care of it.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
It should, but I would try to set it back up through iTunes/Finder (Catalina or Later) and see if it goes through setup as new. Do not login to your Apple ID when doing this, just skip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.