Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You can use a usb-c to ethernet connector for network on the iPad as it has USB-c.

NOTE: this has low chance due to wifi/ethernet is likely broken also. Have you triad just erase to factory defaults?

I think USB-C to ethernet should work as that’s unrelated to the wifi chip.

I’ve used this one with my iPad Pro.

Reactions: hooptyuber

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Yeah, usb ethernet should work regardless of internal networking hardware state, it should only need usb port working.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
It should, but I would try to set it back up through iTunes/Finder (Catalina or Later) and see if it goes through setup as new. Do not login to your Apple ID when doing this, just skip.
Doesn't it have to do the activation lock when setting it back up?

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Yes, if connected through a computer, the activation lock is checked. That’s how you know if it is locked or not. When setting up as new, not signing in to iCloud is separate from doing the activation lock check
When attempting to set it up from the hello screen, it won't go past a certain point without me plugging it into a Mac. I guess I'll have to try the ethernet adapter and hope that works.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
When attempting to set it up from the hello screen, it won't go past a certain point without me plugging it into a Mac. I guess I'll have to try the ethernet adapter and hope that works.
Why not just plug into the Mac? Easier than trying the Ethernet adapter. Didn’t you use a Mac when you put it in DFU and restore?

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Yes, you plug in USB and continue in Finder/iTunes. It will activate the device and once you see the screen on the Mac where you can choose to set it up fresh or from backup, that confirms there is no lock. You can then unplug the iPhone and turn it off.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Why not just plug into the Mac? Easier than trying the Ethernet adapter. Didn’t you use a Mac when you put it in DFU and restore?
Yes, but I thought plugging it back into the Mac during setup recreated an activation lock with the Mac. I dunno...I don't understand these things.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
...once you see the screen on the Mac where you can choose to set it up fresh or from backup, that confirms there is no lock.
Really? So if I get the setup/backup prompt that means no activation lock? I guess I'm good then because I have gotten that prompt on my Mac.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I am surprised to see someone offering $250 for an iPad Air 4 with failed wifi/bluetooth chip.
As for removing activation lock, I think without proper built-in connection, the chance isn't very high, depending on how robust the fallback design is.
Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 2.45.29 PM.png

• Wow
Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.