Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
i know not much about apples, i know i have a imac laptop here model M6411 running OS9.0 with 64 meg ram, i have been to the applemac website and downloaded all the smi file updates like 9.1, 9.20, 9.2.2 or what ever order they go in.
I have tried installing the first update but it does not work saying i need to install it from a cd as theres some error message that displays saying "OS9.1 must be installed from cd when language kit files are already installed"
how do i get around this? the imac does not have a cd burner to burn the updates to the cd and ive downloaded all the updates.

any advice on how to update this thing?

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
yep thanks, i jsut relised theres a 9.0.4 update i have to do first, didnt see that o ne, downlaoding now, will try it out.

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
i just downloaded that 9.0.4 update frmo the apple.com site and when i double click on it, pops up a message box asking if i agree, then it verifies the archive or something then nothing happens.
any reason for this?

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
No disk image on your desktop?

I think it's a disk image, but I could be mistaken... and there would be an installer inside it?

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
no its an smi file. and i just realised its already got 9.0.4 as the OS, so i got 9.1 now, its a smi file and i get the error as in my first post.
any way round that? need to upgrade but it not let me.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Have you tried a clean install of 9 from whatever disks you do have? Drag the finder out of the folder, put it in another folder... rename the system folder to old_system_folder or something similar, then install from your original disks. (this process is automated in X by using the "archive and install" option, but 9 isn't X ;) You should then be able to do the updates, I would think.

Once you upgrade to 9.2.2, you can go through your old system folder to get any extensions from third party applications that aren't in your new system folder.

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
yeah i got the cd's named imovie2, ibook software install, ibook software restore, thats it.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Okay, on the iBook Software Install disc, it should have an OS version listed on it (usually near the center). What does that say?

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
near the middle its just got "to start up from this cd, hold down the C key as the computer starts up." and a number under it 'Z691-2677-A' if that means anything.

i just stuck the cd in the drive and its got OS9 on it.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Wonderful :) On that CD there should be an installer for the OS. You should be able to do a clean install then, and update from there.

I'd suggest only replacing the 3rd party extensions/control panels that programs refuse to work without :)

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
ok cool, so can a complete mac n00b, PC experienced person be able to do this?
what about the software like office 2001, i havent got the cd's for that, how do i get around that?

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Office 2001 should have a self-repair function in it, so when you run something from it the first time (after you install all of the updates to 9.2.2) it will put all the appropriate things into the system folder.

Make sure you don't use the "software restore" disc as that will erase your disk and return it to its original state when sold. You should be able to install the individual applications from the "software install" disc.

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
so i stick in the install disc, select reinstall os9 over itself? do i rename the system folder first as you said then install the os9, i guess i do.
then after i reinstall os9?
how bout office 2001? its in a folder on the desktop, will that be ok there or do i have to do something else with it?
after reinstall complete will office still appear on the desktop and work?

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Correct, move the "finder" to a new folder somewhere else and rename the old system folder first (most likely when you're booted from the hard-drive).

Boot from the CD (holding down the 'c' key so it knows where to look for a valid boot drive). In the Software Install disc there should be a folder with 'System install' or something similar.

The Office 2001 folder will be OK there. For consistency, you may eventually want to put it in the "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder once the updates are complete. (or put it in the "Applications" folder before you start updating. Either way is fine, and you can always make an alias/shortcut to the folder by selecting the folder, going to the File menu, and selecting "Make Alias", then dragging that alias to the desktop or wherever you want to have it for convenience.)

Unlike some other OSs, in OS 9 the desktop is an individual folder on the root level of the hard-drive that is invisible to the casual user, so will not be affected by the OS install except to put new icons on the desktop.

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
wheres this "fiinder"? i cant find it. only finder i can find is on the install cd.

then when i boot from cd, it landed me in a command prompt before, what are the commands to navigate round the drive and rename folders and to then run the setup? it let me rename the system folder while i was still in the OS, i was amazed by that, windows would spit the dummy. would that leave the folder renamed or not?

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
I'm suprised

I'm surprised you got a 'command prompt' when you booted from the software install CD. Try rebooting the system (hold down the power key until the iBook powers down, leave it be for half a minute, and then restart.)

The system will leave the folder renamed. The "finder" should be in the root level of the "System Folder". go to the "View" menu at the top and select "Arrange Icons by Name" (or something like that, I'm doing this from memory).

<TRIVIA>: OS 9 and below will generally boot as long as it has two files in the same folder: "finder" and "system" (and the OS recognizes it and "blesses" the folder by an icon.). Many third party applications will not work because they specifically call to files they put in the "System Folder" </TRIVIA>

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
excellent, i found finder. now i move that to another folder somewhere, then rename the system folder then shut system down. stick cd in drive and reboot and hold down the c key then just follow the prompts from there?
when it finishes installing, do i move the finder folder back to where it originally came from or what?

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Nope, after you follow the prompts and you get a working system (and hopefully one that can be updated with the updates you downloaded), you can throw away the finder that you removed.

Once you verify that *all* of your third party applications work, you can throw away the old system folder. Some program may tell you that they can't start due to not finding a file in a specific place. You would copy down that path that it specifies, go find it in the old system folder and put it into the place that the application expects it to be. If it is in an application specific folder, (like "microsoft") then it would be wise to move the entire folder. As I said before though, Office should have a self-fixing program that puts its required files where it needs them.

Caveat to this: You should have your serial number for Office handy. (if it has one, I don't recall for that particular version.) The info screen does not show the entire serial number, there are always numbers not shown on that info screen.

<edit> if you keep that old system folder and the old finder, you can always perform the same trick by renaming the new system folder, taking out its finder, restoring the old finder to the old system folder and renaming that "system folder" and you would be right back to where you are before you started updating.</edit>

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
ok cool thanks heaps for ya help, i feel like i know something about a mac now.
i will give it all a go and get back here with the result sometime today or tomorrow.
worst i can do is totally stuff it requiring a total reformat. nothing on the hard drive of any significance yet anyway.
nothing else i need to know is there yet except for all above?
thanks.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
If it comes to a total reformat...

If it comes to that, it would be faster to use the "system restore" disc, it will format and put everything the machine came with on the hard-drive, which should give you Appleworks (office substitute) and possibly some cute games like "Bugdom". Only problem would be that you would have to re-download the patches/updates again.

Doing the system folder renaming is nearly as good as the complete wipe, and definitely better than installing on top of the old one. :)

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
another problem, i got up to 9.2.1 and tried to go for 9.2.2 and got

"this software cannot be installed over this localized copy of mac os"

any fix for this?

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
No big deal

9.2.2 was pretty much a bugfix for running OS 9 in "Classic" mode of OS X. Getting to 9.2.1 will get you want you want/need to do, and if/when you decide to purchase and install OS X, it will update the system folder to 9.2.2 for you.

The system wasn't a UK-international english or other "non-american-english" system, was it? This might explain the language problems you got the first time and the one you got now. If it really bothers you, take a look in Apple's support forums, accessible via http://www.apple.com/support/

Otherwise, it sounds like you're good to go:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.