Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
yeah i reckon who ever install this OS9.0.4 put some weird language on it as the flag up the top right is showing australia now when it wasnt before, it was something else. i think maybe this 9.2.2 update is also something else, im redownloading it again as i dont htink i downloaded this one, someone else tried updating this to 9.2.2 nefore i did and didnt suceed, atleast i got further than them so far.
as for OSX, would that run on this ibook laptop thing with 64meg ram? its a couple years old. i dunno even what it is processor wise or even how to find out.

and yes i just confirmed it, wrong file size for the right language. i reckon it will fix it once i download the right one.

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
another problem, folder sharing. i want to have a shared folder on this mac where i can dump stuff from my pc when i download it.
i have setup tcp/ip and has same subnet mask but i cant find a workgroup setting, and i can get internet over my lan with the mac and i can ping the mac from pc, but i cant seem to be able to share the thing. how do i know what the folder share name is? like on a pc you can share a folder as a certain name and connect to that name from another pc, but i cant fiigure this out how to do it on a mac., can i have any assistance?

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Check on the apple site for specifications on upgrading the memory, but I have my mom's iBook 366MHz running 10.2.8, after upgrading her RAM to 192 (added a 128 MB SO-DIMM). It's a little slow, but my mom is thrilled with it. I hear that Panther (10.3) includes a noticeable speed improvement for older machines. In any case, OS X's minimum requirement is 128MB of RAM, (and that's questionable if you can do much beyond run the OS and maybe one program.)

Specifications (including the type of RAM your machine needs) can be found at:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html

Also, the RAM max they list is current at the time of release. When they released my mom's machine, 512MB modules didn't exist, but I've heard reports that they do work in this model of machine.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
I'm not 100% sure on how to share between a mac & windows machine under OS 9, but there is a file sharing option in the finder itself.

Create a folder on your hard-drive (call it "ibook-shared" or something), click to select it and go to File-> Sharing. It'll ask if you want to turn filesharing on, click yes, and then it'll give you the options for sharing that folder.

The other option would be to turn Personal Web Sharing on, and create a drop box via that. You may want to search the forums either here or on apple's site for the best way to do that. (Or you could start another thread that might get noticed more, such as 'best way to share between OS9 and Windows')

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
oh yeah ok, i start a new thread. i got file sharing turned on and everything.

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
well i searched the forums and found several posts on sharing pc and mac but nuthin i do works so i dunno, i will just play round a bit. atleast i got my target of installing 9.2.2 completed, just required the right language update, now it will run msn 2.5 on it.
thanks for all ya help, i dont think i could have done it otherwise.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Glad to hear you got that original goal completed! Good luck in getting the sharing to work.

On the root level of your hard-drive there should be a folder called either "sites" or "personal web sharing" and there is a ReadMe in there. It should have instructions on how to set up a drop box, and then all you would have to do is point the PC's web browser to the Mac's IP address (and folder name if need be) and upload from there. Crude workaround, but that's how I managed it a couple of years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.