Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
My iPhone 8 is going on 3 years. I am looking to upgrade possibly this fall. I will be looking at the 5.4 or perhaps an older model. Then there is the new SE even. Or I might just continue using what I already have.

As for affordability I could have certainly upgraded before this but I just don’t see where any phone is worth a $1000 and would rather spend my money elsewhere. I know I’m probably in the minority here where all things Apple is coveted. That and there is the fact that most of us don’t really need a new phone on a yearly basis to begin with.

If I upgrade it will be because I want to...not out of necessity.

Yep. When I upgraded to this 8 plus it was because the lightning port on my 6S was 99.9% broken. This time around the phone works fine and is still quite smooth and fast.

Reactions: Ladybug

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
The battery on my iPhone X is starting to wear. It’s still doing okay for my needs, but it doesn’t last as long as it should. It’ll be 3 years old this December. I don’t plan on upgrading to a 12. I’m going to pay the ~$70 for a battery replacement some time in the fall and use it for another year. I bought my phone through AT&T Next plan. It’s been paid off since late last year. Then I’ll get the 13.

I could upgrade every year, but i don’t see the point. I used to upgrade every 2 years because that was the contract period. After my 6+ lasted me 3 years and then moving to this X that still holds up well. I’m just not in any hurry to upgrade any more. There’d really have to be a can’t-wait-for-it feature. Of all the rumors for the new iPhones, none scream out to me like that. I can wait.

As far as cost... I’d say it doesn’t matter if you buy an 11 now or after the 12 launch. You’ll save a decent amount of money either way and have a phone that will last.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
I got a Pro Max and probably won’t upgrade until 2021/22. I got a big stunning OLED screen, amazing performance and great battery life which are what I care most about.

I’d be lying though if said that I won’t be jealous of the new design.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
My X will be around 2 years old come November and I'm on the fence.

Battery is at 90% health and I could simply pay the fee (or use Applecare if it drops low enough) to extended the life of the phone. Performance is mostly fine (app reloads are annoying, but I think that's an iOS thing) and the images I capture look ok.

For me to upgrade I think it'd need to be a combination of:
  • same/smaller body - the size/weight of the X is the limit of whats comfortable for me to use with one hand
  • camera - I can see the improved quality in the 11 series and night mode is the cherry on top. Would love to have that feature
  • $$ - I got my 256gb X for 650 from a carrier promotion (no trade in!). I think the most I've ever spent on a phone is whatever the 128gb 7Plus cost at release (think I had a trade in promo for that one, though).
I know there's a rumored 5.4'' device that would meet my criteria... but it seems a little excessive (for me) to buy a brand new phone when my current one still does everything well.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Apple are pushing more and more into the upgrade program. Think they would rather more people did do this so they would buy the new phone each year, other companies are also doing the same thing. It doesn’t make sense for a lot of people who want to keep their phones longer but those who like their tech and want to upgrade doing it via an annual upgrade program makes the most sense for a decent amount of people I’m sure.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Apple are pushing more and more into the upgrade program. Think they would rather more people did do this so they would buy the new phone each year, other companies are also doing the same thing. It doesn’t make sense for a lot of people who want to keep their phones longer but those who like their tech and want to upgrade doing it via an annual upgrade program makes the most sense for a decent amount of people I’m sure.

I think there’s a lot of people who would get a new phone every year if it made financial sense but the upgrade program tends to be an expensive way of doing it. I looked into it at my last upgrade and it’s £60 a month before a data plan is factored in. By contrast you can get an iPhone 11 on a 2 year contract with 30GB of data for £30 a month. I appreciate you pay for the privilege of upgrading early with the iUP but to me I can’t really see what I’d be gaining in the grand scheme.

Reactions: m0sher

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
IMHO, the sweet spot so far is buying last year's flagship model. For example, I went from an 8+ to a XS Max recently and paid almost less than half of $1,200.

Now, I didn't even need to update from the 8+ because that phone is a freaking BEAST. The A11 chip was overpowered in 2017 and that shows in 2020 because it was still buttery smooth.

I just wanted to try out the big boy OLED 6.5 iPhone with Face ID and I don't regret it!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
IMHO, the sweet spot so far is buying last year's flagship model. For example, I went from an 8+ to a XS Max recently and paid almost less than half of $1,200.

Now, I didn't even need to update from the 8+ because that phone is a freaking BEAST. The A11 chip was overpowered in 2017 and that shows in 2020 because it was still buttery smooth.

I just wanted to try out the big boy OLED 6.5 iPhone with Face ID and I don't regret it!

My last 2 upgrades I bought the previous years iPhone and I agree you get a very good phone at a large discount. In 2016 I had the 6S and in 2018 I had the 8+. You’re right the 8+ is a beast of a phone and even nearly 3 years after it was released. In reality I probably don’t have a need to upgrade it based on capability but I do fancy upgrading this year to a current device.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I’d wait at this point. the 8+ is still a very good phone that will keep you going until the fall, when you’ll get more for your money.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
My 8+ is still serving me quite well. Hands down the best device I have owned. I will see what fall brings before I consider my options to upgrade. I figure if any of the new models sing to me, maybe I'll upgrade. If they don't, maybe I can find a deal on an 11 Pro Model. If not, I'll be perfectly content sticking with my 8+ for a while. Ideally, I'd be able to find a deal on two phones so I can get my mom a new one also.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
It's also been kinda confirmed that any device running IOS 13 right now will support iOS 14, so that's *another* guaranteed year on top of the guaranteed 5 years already lol.

That 8 Plus ain't going no where

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
I haven't been on this site in a while. Idk if its the current pandemic or with everything else going on in the world, but apple products have lost their "spark" for me. I have a XS Max that I went and got on the day of release, and bought a used 2016 TMBP and that's it. I sold my iPad a while ago. I just dont see the point in upgrading to any of their products anymore. I've been using bootcamp and have pretty much been on Windows OS since February, only coming back to mac every now and then. Unless there is a major iOS change I will probably only upgrade once my current products start to not work. I said it after I bought my iPhone, but there is no way i'm going to keep giving apple more and more of my money each year while they increase prices.

After chasing the newest tech most of my adult life, I started to feel the exact same when I got myXS Max. Spring of 2019, I got it and same feeling came over me of just being over it. This year I upgraded to the new iPad pro and same feeling again. I think this is it for me as far as tech chasing goes. I love my devices and don’t see a need for a change unless they break some how

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's also been kinda confirmed that any device running IOS 13 right now will support iOS 14, so that's *another* guaranteed year on top of the guaranteed 5 years already lol.

That 8 Plus ain't going no where
I thought the A8-based Air 2 and mini 4 were getting dropped?

In any case, basic iPad still sports A10+3GB RAM. I expect the 8+ with A11+3GB to be safe for quite a while.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
I have just recently got myself an iPhone 8 Plus. And it’s good to read the positive comments about the 8 plus. This phone was ahead of its time and it still is a very capable phone to this day. Runs very smooth and fast and the only phone are replace it with is the se plus if there is one if not are keep this phone for a couple years to come. Definitely in my eyes one of the best iPhones ever made. It amazes me how it preforms no way does it feel or preform like a 2017 phone I must say.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I have just recently got myself an iPhone 8 Plus. And it’s good to read the positive comments about the 8 plus. This phone was ahead of its time and it still is a very capable phone to this day. Runs very smooth and fast and the only phone are replace it with is the se plus if there is one if not are keep this phone for a couple years to come. Definitely in my eyes one of the best iPhones ever made. It amazes me how it preforms no way does it feel or preform like a 2017 phone I must say.

Yup, it’s the last flagship (not counting SE) with the classic design in a Plus size! It may actually have been my favorite iPhone I’ve ever owned. Super robust and incredibly reliable. Screen is amazing, big, 16:9, True Tone, wireless charging, nice speakers, aesthetically beautiful looking, the list goes on!

The A11 Bionic is a freaking beast lol, still running iOS 13 like a boss without breaking a sweat. It’ll run iOS 14 the same way I bet you!

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Yup, it’s the last flagship (not counting SE) with the classic design in a Plus size! It may actually have been my favorite iPhone I’ve ever owned. Super robust and incredibly reliable. Screen is amazing, big, 16:9, True Tone, wireless charging, nice speakers, aesthetically beautiful looking, the list goes on!

The A11 Bionic is a freaking beast lol, still running iOS 13 like a boss without breaking a sweat. It’ll run iOS 14 the same way I bet you!
The list definitely does go on and on. This phone just keeps on ticking and ticking along very nicely. Whatever you throw at it this phone seems to handle it. It still feels very current to this day also. So many good things about this phone definitely my favourite iPhone and best phone I have owned completely satisfying experience that just keeps getting better and better.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think there’s a lot of people who would get a new phone every year if it made financial sense but the upgrade program tends to be an expensive way of doing it. I looked into it at my last upgrade and it’s £60 a month before a data plan is factored in. By contrast you can get an iPhone 11 on a 2 year contract with 30GB of data for £30 a month. I appreciate you pay for the privilege of upgrading early with the iUP but to me I can’t really see what I’d be gaining in the grand scheme.
I know with EE price wise it was actually cheaper to hand in my iphone 10 to get the 11 pro max by about £11 a month. So for me it made perfect sense.

i can see trading in my 11 pro max for the iPhone 12 pro max also being cheaper seeing as we will likely see 128GB storage options so i would think the monthly bill will be cheaper again.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I know with EE price wise it was actually cheaper to hand in my iphone 10 to get the 11 pro max by about £11 a month. So for me it made perfect sense.

i can see trading in my 11 pro max for the iPhone 12 pro max also being cheaper seeing as we will likely see 128GB storage options so i would think the monthly bill will be cheaper again.

If I remember correctly though you said once you were paying £70+ a month weren’t you? At the higher end I think savings seem more obvious but it’s still well above what the average (non techie) person is paying for their iPhone.

A lad I work with jumped on the iUP program last year and is paying something like £70 a month for the 11 Pro Max. He didn’t think it through as he forgot this didn’t include a plan. He pays £16 a month on top for data and mins. I tend to negotiate my contract price down each year like I would with my car insurance and currently I pay £31.28 a month. I suppose the iUP isn’t aimed at people like me though.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If I remember correctly though you said once you were paying £70+ a month weren’t you? At the higher end I think savings seem more obvious but it’s still well above what the average (non techie) person is paying for their iPhone.

A lad I work with jumped on the iUP program last year and is paying something like £70 a month for the 11 Pro Max. He didn’t think it through as he forgot this didn’t include a plan. He pays £16 a month on top for data and mins. I tend to negotiate my contract price down each year like I would with my car insurance and currently I pay £31.28 a month. I suppose the iUP isn’t aimed at people like me though.

I pay £79 a month at the moment for mine but it was over £90 a month. I’m hoping with my work discount i can get it at least under £70.

Issue is though for the annual upgrade through EE you have to have a similar plan that you are on currently on which mine is 100GB of data and unlimited everything.

While i know what I spend isn’t what the average person would spend it works for me so I can get the top of the range pro each year.

The only two networks that are worth it for me are EE and three but three don’t do the upgrade program. Vodafone and o2 have awful coverage where i work so for me that’s a non starter.

I will certainly try and get the price down this year for sure but seeing as i get a 20% discount from work i doubt i will be able to do as that’s still a big discount as it is.

It is still cheaper than going the apple IUP though as that would be around £60 just for the phone. So with plenty of data and calls/mins the difference wouldn’t be much different.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I pay £79 a month at the moment for mine but it was over £90 a month. I’m hoping with my work discount i can get it at least under £70.

Issue is though for the annual upgrade through EE you have to have a similar plan that you are on currently on which mine is 100GB of data and unlimited everything.

While i know what I spend isn’t what the average person would spend it works for me so I can get the top of the range pro each year.

The only two networks that are worth it for me are EE and three but three don’t do the upgrade program. Vodafone and o2 have awful coverage where i work so for me that’s a non starter.

I will certainly try and get the price down this year for sure but seeing as i get a 20% discount from work i doubt i will be able to do as that’s still a big discount as it is.

It is still cheaper than going the apple IUP though as that would be around £60 just for the phone. So with plenty of data and calls/mins the difference wouldn’t be much different.

Yeah that’s a huge monthly bill and I’m pretty glad I dropped off the latest and greatest train a few years ago now. The 11 Pro Max is a very nice phone but I don’t think it’s worth that much money based on what it offers IMHO. I’ll be picking up a 12 Max hopefully this year and I’m hoping it’ll be similar in price to the 11 and I can get it for £30 a month with an upfront fee of around £200. Even that is quite a lot of money considering I currently have an 8+ that really has nothing wrong with it. I can’t even get this device to slow down lol. It’s by far the best iPhone I’ve used to date.

Reactions: John dosh

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah that’s a huge monthly bill and I’m pretty glad I dropped off the latest and greatest train a few years ago now. The 11 Pro Max is a very nice phone but I don’t think it’s worth that much money based on what it offers IMHO. I’ll be picking up a 12 Max hopefully this year and I’m hoping it’ll be similar in price to the 11 and I can get it for £30 a month with an upfront fee of around £200. Even that is quite a lot of money considering I currently have an 8+ that really has nothing wrong with it. I can’t even get this device to slow down lol. It’s by far the best iPhone I’ve used to date.

If there is no pro motion on the pros I may get the 12 max as well. £250 more for just better zoom, more ram and bigger display? That’s a tough sell to be honest

Pro motion needs to happen for this reason. It’s my number 1 requested feature with better zoom

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I may be holding on to my 8+ for another year. It still works great, was recently replaced by Apple due to a battery swap gone wrong), and with people having to wear face masks for the near future, Face ID loses a lot of its appeal.
I got used to wearing a face mask and paying with Apple pay. Maybe the next gen will have under the screen fingerprint as there was some rumor to that effect. Who knows, except Apple?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I got used to wearing a face mask and paying with Apple pay. Maybe the next gen will have under the screen fingerprint as there was some rumor to that effect. Who knows, except Apple?

I am still not convinced Apple will offer both face and and on-screen Touch ID. The whole idea behind Face ID is that it works automatically without the user needing to do anything or even think about it. On-screen Touch ID goes against this philosophy.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Face ID was an attempt at getting rid of the bottom bezel that contained the home button- only to move the bezel in an awkward way back up to the top in a truncated notch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.