Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fadingxvampire

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
I own an 8 plus and currently have no plans to upgrade. I find it still fairly fast for what I do (emails, social media, browsing the web). The only thing I dislike about my phone is the size.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
My xR is good; don't plan to update for at least 2-3 years. Phone is lower priority on my tech list.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
My contract is up (iPhone 8 Plus) and naturally I think about upgrading, but what do people think when they’re eligible for upgrading at this time of year?

Obviously there’s a new iPhone in the next 5-6 months or so, but do people feel grabbing existing handsets now, with big data allowances for example (from what I can see these are getting bigger now), is a better bet? Just curious.

I can get an XS for £26 a month, or an 11 for £35 a month. I’m tempted, because I’m a bit thrifty these days ?

That said I also like new technology, so I’m trying to wait...

6 months is my guide. I won't upgrade to current gen if it's already been out 6 months. I wait for the new.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I’ve never owned a current iPhone. That said, my wife’s 7 has crappy mics and am looking at the se and xr. She likes the se in red.. but I was kind of hoping she could hold out until the new phones drop so I could give her my xs max, but she doesn’t like it.. too big.. I would get her the xr but I think it might be to big. She was happy with her phone but FaceTime is no good without a mic that works.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If there is no pro motion on the pros I may get the 12 max as well. £250 more for just better zoom, more ram and bigger display? That’s a tough sell to be honest

Pro motion needs to happen for this reason. It’s my number 1 requested feature with better zoom
I think you’ll still get the top model though with the increased base storage and the fact you’re happy to pay £79 a month. I’m not personally bothered about pro motion so the 12 Max is an exciting option for me coming from an 8+.
I am still not convinced Apple will offer both face and and on-screen Touch ID. The whole idea behind Face ID is that it works automatically without the user needing to do anything or even think about it. On-screen Touch ID goes against this philosophy.
Even FaceID requires some interaction via a finger to open the phone though. You still have to swipe. I think the rumours are pointing towards fingerprint recognition under the screen within the next few years as the top leakers are suggesting it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think you’ll still get the top model though with the increased base storage and the fact you’re happy to pay £79 a month. I’m not personally bothered about pro motion so the 12 Max is an exciting option for me coming from an 8+.

Even FaceID requires some interaction via a finger to open the phone though. You still have to swipe. I think the rumours are pointing towards fingerprint recognition under the screen within the next few years as the top leakers are suggesting it.
Yeah i likely will, although for the average user i think it will be hard for many to justify the pro models unless camera improvements for zoom is high on the wish list. As the 12 will still have good camera improvements, Just the displays will not be as good as the pros but that won’t be a deal breaker for most.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Got the X and don't really have a reason to upgrade. Still very fast and does everything i need it to.

But i will most likely upgrade anyway.. just love new gadgets too much ;)

Oh and there is already a pretty big jump in Photo quality from the X to the 11 Pro, especially in low light... so it should be even bigger with the 12 Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtnmac26

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
When Apple released the iPhone 6+ I passed. Antenna lines and camera bump. I passed with the 6s+ as well. Now I ended up owning both of those devices but that wasn't because I WANTED them, it was circumstance.

But I figured the iPhone 7 would be different. It wasn't. The antenna lines left, but the fugly camera bump got bigger. I passed. I passed on the 8, I passed on the X. The camera bump developed into a full on boil. Some of the iPhone models have a bump that looks like Bender from Futurama. Just no.

But, finally, I needed a new phone so I got an Android.

I was seriously thinking of the new SE, but apparently Apple has still decided the camera bump is a feature. So, no new SE for me. If this year's new iPhone still has a camera bump - well I'm still paying on my Pixel so no need.

So, yeah. That's how I feel about upgrading.

And for all the "You're just going to slap a case on it" arguments I know are being formed, I don't use cases.

what phone did you buy?

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
I also have the same questions. My iPhone Xs just took a dump and the Face ID camera is not working, anyways I traded that in to get a phone for my HS Grad. I can either 1) Get an iPhone SE, it's cheap enough that I can upgrade later in September once the 12 comes out or get an 11 Pro at a bargain or 2) Just skip the SE and upgrade to the 11 Pro now(good deals out there). I am not sure what to do at this point.

From previous years the old model year doesn't tend to change much in bargains once the new one is announced. Will there enough of a chance from the 11 Pro to the 12 to just wait?

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I also have the same questions. My iPhone Xs just took a dump and the Face ID camera is not working, anyways I traded that in to get a phone for my HS Grad. I can either 1) Get an iPhone SE, it's cheap enough that I can upgrade later in September once the 12 comes out or get an 11 Pro at a bargain or 2) Just skip the SE and upgrade to the 11 Pro now(good deals out there). I am not sure what to do at this point.

From previous years the old model year doesn't tend to change much in bargains once the new one is announced. Will there enough of a chance from the 11 Pro to the 12 to just wait?

If it was around March or February I’d say get the 11 Pro.

but now that it’s June I’d say wait for the 12. The last regret you want to have is lusting for the newer design with a brand new 11 Pro lol*

*unless you’re a person that doesn’t care about that or holds on to their phones for a long time!

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
For me it’s sounding like all the best new screen features like LPTO and Always-On are coming next year... not this year... also I’m very excited about portless iPhone as also rumored for next year. Bring it on! So I’ll be sticking with my 8 for another year. I was so sure I was gonna get a 12 or 12 Pro but now I’d rather just wait again and maybe splurge instead on a brand new Apple TV when they’re announced hopefully this June. It’s yet another good year to wait to purchase Apple tech... all their new screen revelations are being held off it feels like until 2021.

So far I’m at:

MBA 2020
iPad 12.9” 2018
iPhone 8
Watch Series 5
2 Homepods
Airpods Pro

And then Apple TV 2nd gen...

so the longest in the teeth now are just the iPhone and Apple TV. Everything else is great to head into 2021 with. Got a new MBA 2020 for $849 from Best Buy. I couldnt ignore that.

iPhone 8 is starting to really suck and die in what feels like 2 hours but I’m not about to miss the rumored Smart Connector and new screen tech on iPhone 12S/13. I suspect iPhone 12 and/or 12 Pro users are going to feel monstrously ripped off if they are the final and newest iPhone users to not have Smart Connector.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
My contract is up (iPhone 8 Plus) and naturally I think about upgrading, but what do people think when they’re eligible for upgrading at this time of year?

Obviously there’s a new iPhone in the next 5-6 months or so, but do people feel grabbing existing handsets now, with big data allowances for example (from what I can see these are getting bigger now), is a better bet? Just curious.

I can get an XS for £26 a month, or an 11 for £35 a month. I’m tempted, because I’m a bit thrifty these days ?

That said I also like new technology, so I’m trying to wait...
As a fellow 8 Plus user, it's perfectly fine to keep your phone if you are happy with it come fall. I do caution you against getting a new iPhone with a narrower screen, which is what the XS and 11 feature. So while technically they have larger screens, they are more narrow, and your eyes might not like that as much.

I will probably move onto the 12 Pro Max this fall. But I won't really be all that jazzed about an iPhone upgrade until a folding model is available. Which probably won't be for another 2 years.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I have a XR and im gonna get the 5.4 inch model. I don't think ive ever really got used to the size of this thing. The 5.8 would have even better but I wasn't prepared to pay 1000. So 5.4 it is.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
2021 is going to be an incremental update just like 2020 and 2022 and 2023 and 2024 etc
S year upgrades always felt the best to me because all the kinks and issues are ironed out and the full spec is released. So 2021 will be the (better) iphone 12.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What I’m curious about, is it the iPhone SE Plus actually happens in 2021. The unique thing about that phone for upgrading, is it still offers touch ID in a larger form factor for those who want it.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Like other members have said on this thread, I personally also agree that the iPhone 8 Plus is the best iPhone ever made. Solid performance with its A11, beautiful 1080p screen, design and build quality. Never had a single glitch or issue with the phone in 2 and half years use. I planned to use it for another year, but got the new SE in April as it’s kind of unique and probably the last of the classic iPhone design Apple will ever release.

On a side note I do fully appreciate the X generation iPhones, but I just dont like the Face ID only biometric authentication and the notched screens.

Reactions: John dosh

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
So I picked up an SE, and will pick up the smaller version of the 12 when it is announced. It took a bit getting used to the Touch ID again coming from an Xs, both Touch ID and Face ID would be great on one phone.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It’s crazy to look at the used market and see how high prices still are. Apple doesn’t lower their prices until the next model is out, so you would pay the same today for a new 11 pro as someone paid at launch. There really are no good deals to be had on iPhones that are less than a year or 2 old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.