Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I don't know how to adjust the grammar checker for this (Scrivener uses the OSX default), but to clean up double spaces in Scrivener, you first select the text, then choose: Edit > Text Tidying > Replace Multiple Spaces With Single Spaces.

There are a few other goodies in the Text Tidying menu if you happen to import some text from word processor apps that have added unnecessary page breaks and tabs etc.

I want to go the other direction, where a single space can be converted to double spaces. It's one of those silly (stupid) APA style guide rules. Maybe I'll ask Scrivener to add it as a feature.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
How strange. I think it might be better to ask whoever enforces this style to update their guide, but good luck either way.

Well, it's the APA :\ It's the formatting that's used in some academic disciplines. They say it makes it easier to read the papers. Nothing we, the common people, can do about it, sadly.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Its amazing how many out there which all basically do the same thing, I am also surprised they are still out there with supported development:
MS Word, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Nissus Writer, Mellel, Apple Pages, Ulysses, Scrivner...I am sure you know others!

I know some of those are more purpose specialized/focused than others but you get the idea.

So which do you use and what is the reason?
I'm using LibreOffice at home and at work. My staff uses a mix of MS Office and G Suite, their choice.

My use of an office suite is fairly simplistic and so I don't need/want to pay for a full suite like MS Office at home. I like MS office as it is The Standard to meet per se. I also like G Suite but I hate how it's dependent on an internet connection and if there are interruptions it messes up my workflow when typing a document. This has happened to me a few times this year and that's when I started using LibreOffice at work and not just at home.

With that said, I am trying to teach myself to use Vim as a document creation program. It has a lot of extensibility which can be used such as markdown language that can help automate formatting and speed up my work. The trick is learning it all and practicing with it before the efficiency of Vim pays dividends in time and effort.

Reactions: millerj123

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Its amazing how many out there which all basically do the same thing, I am also surprised they are still out there with supported development:
MS Word, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Nissus Writer, Mellel, Apple Pages, Ulysses, Scrivner...I am sure you know others!

I know some of those are more purpose specialized/focused than others but you get the idea.

So which do you use and what is the reason?

I use Word and pages. Pages for my Resume because I can export to Word and I wanted to get familiar with it. Also without installing any extra IOS apps and using OneDrive I can use Pages to edit my docs also on my IOS devices.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I'm using LibreOffice at home and at work. My staff uses a mix of MS Office and G Suite, their choice.

My use of an office suite is fairly simplistic and so I don't need/want to pay for a full suite like MS Office at home. I like MS office as it is The Standard to meet per se. I also like G Suite but I hate how it's dependent on an internet connection and if there are interruptions it messes up my workflow when typing a document. This has happened to me a few times this year and that's when I started using LibreOffice at work and not just at home.

With that said, I am trying to teach myself to use Vim as a document creation program. It has a lot of extensibility which can be used such as markdown language that can help automate formatting and speed up my work. The trick is learning it all and practicing with it before the efficiency of Vim pays dividends in time and effort.

Can't Google just have a downloadable GSuite? If it can load in the browser, why can't it load from the HardDrive instead of the web?

Have you thought about using LaTex? I heard that thing format the page to however you want. Not sure if Vim and LaTex is the same thing.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Can't Google just have a downloadable GSuite? If it can load in the browser, why can't it load from the HardDrive instead of the web?

Have you thought about using LaTex? I heard that thing format the page to however you want. Not sure if Vim and LaTex is the same thing.
It might be possible with a plugin to have offline use of G Suite, but it doesn't matter all that much to me to investigate it. I'm quite happy with the natively installed LibreOffice.

I've heard of and seen videos of LaTex, and everything I've seen says it's awesome software. I've just always used Vim since it is preinstalled on most Linux distro's. Both are quite similar and do a lot of the same things, so it's just personal preference, I guess. I should give LaTex a try one of these days.

I did find a simple, and easier to use than Vim program yesterday that I'm trying out now. It's called WordGrinder. So far it seems pretty good, but it has limited options and extensibility if someone needs a lot of extras.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019

I am *SLIGHTLY* familiar with LaTeX. As I understand it, Vim is a writing program, and LaTeX is basically a scripting/ formatting language. You can use Vim/ Notepad/ Textedit/ etc. to create LaTeX documents.

I hope I never, ever, have to write a LaTeX document :( Thankfully I don't do a lot of maths.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've heard of and seen videos of LaTex, and everything I've seen says it's awesome software. I've just always used Vim since it is preinstalled on most Linux distro's. Both are quite similar and do a lot of the same things, so it's just personal preference, I guess. I should give LaTex a try one of these days.

I did find a simple, and easier to use than Vim program yesterday that I'm trying out now. It's called WordGrinder. So far it seems pretty good, but it has limited options and extensibility if someone needs a lot of extras.

You guys are a bit off here with respect to vim and LaTeX.

I am *SLIGHTLY* familiar with LaTeX. As I understand it, Vim is a writing program, and LaTeX is basically a scripting/ formatting language. You can use Vim/ Notepad/ Textedit/ etc. to create LaTeX documents.

I hope I never, ever, have to write a LaTeX document :( Thankfully I don't do a lot of maths.

This comment got it right.

Since I've used LaTeX a lot for university as well as having a decent level of knowledge of vim, allow me to elaborate further.

Like with most programming languages, LaTeX needs to be compiled into a document before it has any typesetting. It is as stated by @expat, a typesetting language. For instance, creating the Ω symbol would be \Omega. LaTeX is indeed a very flexible and powerful typesetting language, but it does have a somewhat steep learning curve, and since it is not WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), it's not as direct to work with.

Vim is a text editor. It allows any text editing. Since LaTeX is just a plaintext language that you can then compile into a document, Vim can write LaTeX. Just like Vim can also write Java, C, Swift, bash scripts, websites, notes, whatever. There are programs for LaTeX, but LaTeX its not strictly speaking a program.

Since this topic is about writing programs, I'll once again draw attention to the fact that Pages has support for a lot of LaTeX command.
See attached screenshots:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 18.00.50.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 18.00.50.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 18.00.55.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 18.00.55.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 83

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
In my opinion, the whole Inspector thing is a joke.

Lots. Performance, macros, extended formula support, data source support, extensions, and integrations.

If you’re a home user, you’d probably never notice. But I have to work with people who use Excel as their primary data manipulation tool, so they’re using all the advanced features. Even if you’re only using the common subset of features, Excel’s performance versus LibreOffice is absolutely night and day when it comes to massive spreadsheets. I’m talking several gigabytes.

The instant LibreOffice fails, I’m wasting my time, wondering why I didn’t go ahead and pay the $10/month for Microsoft Office. So yea.
To jump in, I think Excel is the real crown jewel of the Office suite.
If you are comparing LibreOffice and Word there are pluses and minuses and you may prefer one or the other but there isn't a lot of difference.
But for Excel I agree with the above for what it's worth, and if you are a power Excel user you won't be at all happy with Calc. It's ok, but you will see a big difference.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
You guys are a bit off here with respect to vim and LaTeX.

This comment got it right.

Since I've used LaTeX a lot for university as well as having a decent level of knowledge of vim, allow me to elaborate further.

Like with most programming languages, LaTeX needs to be compiled into a document before it has any typesetting. It is as stated by @expat, a typesetting language. For instance, creating the Ω symbol would be \Omega. LaTeX is indeed a very flexible and powerful typesetting language, but it does have a somewhat steep learning curve, and since it is not WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), it's not as direct to work with.

Vim is a text editor. It allows any text editing. Since LaTeX is just a plaintext language that you can then compile into a document, Vim can write LaTeX. Just like Vim can also write Java, C, Swift, bash scripts, websites, notes, whatever. There are programs for LaTeX, but LaTeX its not strictly speaking a program.

Since this topic is about writing programs, I'll once again draw attention to the fact that Pages has support for a lot of LaTeX command.
See attached screenshots:
If Vim is just a text editor, whats so special about it not to use any other text editor say like TextEdit? or BBEdit?

To jump in, I think Excel is the real crown jewel of the Office suite.
If you are comparing LibreOffice and Word there are pluses and minuses and you may prefer one or the other but there isn't a lot of difference.
But for Excel I agree with the above for what it's worth, and if you are a power Excel user you won't be at all happy with Calc. It's ok, but you will see a big difference.

Yes, but how many Excel users are Power Excel users?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If Vim is just a text editor, whats so special about it not to use any other text editor say like TextEdit? or BBEdit?
Nothing special beyond bragging rights among the technorati. ;) Though be careful with TextEdit, it isn't strictly a plain text editor like VIM or BBEdit. If you need raw plain text, I don't recommend it.

Yes, but how many Excel users are Power Excel users?
Since there is no universally accepted definition of "Excel power user", it isn't worth using that term. Most of the people I've encountered who claimed a "need" for MS Office functionality don't need a specific function/feature that is unique to Excel but only that the "Excel way" is the only thing they're familiar with.

I heavily use MS Office, G Suite, LibreOffice, and Apple iWork. When one of my co-workers laments the fact that they don't have access to MS Office at the time, I can often show them how to accomplish the task with the alternatives... sometimes in an easier way.

Gator1pk

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
Word and Excel are the gold standard for word processing and spreadsheet programs (app). i have used both for 20+ years and nothing comes close, especially with Excel. For sharing documents in the business world, not using Word, you will risk your painstakenly formatted document, to be opened by someone and that document’s formatting being wrong, which makes you look like an amateur without attention to detail.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

Well, in a way every program is special in that it's different from other programs. There's a tool for every job, and Vim is regarded as an excellent tool for some people in some situations, but it's definitely not suited to everyone or every situation, but to those whom it's a fit, it's a great fit. That's why the people who love it so will often praise it to the heavens and back.

Vim exists on basically every single modern Unix system. It's a CLI (Command Line Interface) program, so you don't need a GUI to run it. Those two facts alone make it a great fit for SSH'ing into a remote server. Furthermore, it has a comprehensive set of shortcuts and is extremely extensible and customisable. You can quickly spawn multiple cursors, go to a specific line, delete x number of characters/words/lines and so on. It's made for very fast navigation with the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.