Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
No tattoos here, but I have stopped a guy to get a better look at his sleeve. It was a work of pure art. Luckily, we both had a few minutes and I was told the story behind them. It's not my story to share, but it almost left me in tears.

And I've seen a few that left me rolling my eyes. Let me just say, facial tattoos are a good way not to ever be taken seriously again.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I never ever wanted a tattoo. I know how soon says over time. I understand how color fades. I have seen some gorgeous tats. You look at some and you know that person spent a fortune for a work of art.

Fast forward to my mid fifties and my pesky bout of cancer. First I got a small pink ribbon to cover the scar where my port was, cause somehow it was always visible. I literally was ill every time I looked in the mirror and all I could see were my mastectomy scars. So I decided I'd cover it all with a tattoo. I met with a woman who did scars, and she created something beautiful for me. It took all day to do it, but when she was done I cried.

It's a huge piece, but not something that most people will see. It's just for me. I'm not sure if it's appropriate posting here, I know Facebook doesn't like it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I never ever wanted a tattoo. I know how soon says over time. I understand how color fades. I have seen some gorgeous tats. You look at some and you know that person spent a fortune for a work of art.

Fast forward to my mid fifties and my pesky bout of cancer. First I got a small pink ribbon to cover the scar where my port was, cause somehow it was always visible. I literally was ill every time I looked in the mirror and all I could see were my mastectomy scars. So I decided I'd cover it all with a tattoo. I met with a woman who did scars, and she created something beautiful for me. It took all day to do it, but when she was done I cried.

It's a huge piece, but not something that most people will see. It's just for me. I'm not sure if it's appropriate posting here, I know Facebook doesn't like it.

@AlliFlowers, thanks for sharing. I think your story is an example of how a tattoo can be very personal and very meaningful. I have one tattoo myself [it's just above my ankle so @Huntn won't like it.] ;) but it's of significance to me and that's all that matters. If people ask when they see it I will gladly tell them what it means and usually that makes for nice "get to know you" conversation.

I think we've all seen tattoos that make us scratch our head, roll our eyes, or maybe even wrinkle up our nose in disgust. However, the point is all such reactions are judgmental in nature. Sure, with employment there is a practical side to consider in terms of how a person is viewed. But, the bottom line is how someone chooses to treat, decorate, or adorn their body is their business.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@AlliFlowers, thanks for sharing. I think your story is an example of how a tattoo can be very personal and very meaningful. I have one tattoo myself [it's just above my ankle so @Huntn won't like it.] ;) but it's of significance to me and that's all that matters. If people ask when they see it I will gladly tell them what it means and usually that makes for nice "get to know you" conversation.

I think we've all seen tattoos that make us scratch our head, roll our eyes, or maybe even wrinkle up our nose in disgust. However, the point is all such reactions are judgmental in nature. Sure, with employment there is a practical side to consider in terms of how a person is viewed. But, the bottom line is how someone chooses to treat, decorate, or adorn their body is their business.
Well, I'd have to see it. :)

Reactions: AlliFlowers

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Such a great post. Umm, I _think_ it would be OK to post, assuming there's no n***** (men and women usually have them, but the latter can't show them for some reason ...)

I have some "private photos" showing off some work on someone, I'd post, but I'd hate for Huntn to have a heart attack. :p

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Such a great post. Umm, I _think_ it would be OK to post, assuming there's no n***** (men and women usually have them, but the latter can't show them for some reason ...)

I have some "private photos" showing off some work on someone, I'd post, but I'd hate for Huntn to have a heart attack. :p
Why me? I not easily bothered. :p
[doublepost=1530033244][/doublepost]
I'm not into them. I can appreciate the "art" of them.

People that do it just to "be Hipster in" and put others down for not having one - no thanks...
As previously stated in a post (not mine, paraphrased) far too frequently not nearly enough thought is put into theme, placement, coherence, and especially quality.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I love my tattoos. Right now I am working a half body suit of traditional Japanese style of tattooing. I have both arms, back, and will be moving down to the waist area stopping around the mid quad area. I don't want to go below my quads or my belly area.

I know they will fade and most likely look a little tattered when I am older, however most of my skin by that time will look like such.

Tattoos on the face, hands, or neck are not my thing. Some like it, I don't. If I wear long sleeves or a suit you will not know I have tattoos.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I love my tattoos. Right now I am working a half body suit of traditional Japanese style of tattooing. I have both arms, back, and will be moving down to the waist area stopping around the mid quad area. I don't want to go below my quads or my belly area.

I know they will fade and most likely look a little tattered when I am older, however most of my skin by that time will look like such.

Tattoos on the face, hands, or neck are not my thing. Some like it, I don't. If I wear long sleeves or a suit you will not know I have tattoos.

Wow, I'd love to see some of your work, love the Japanese style - sounds like you've got quite a bit of time in this.

Funny, "some guy" I know, is thinking about the names of his wife and daughter, in Katakana (modern Japanese syllabary) down each arm.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
What’s the difference between people with tattoos and folks without.

The tattooed people don’t care that others have no tattoos.

263E1004-3B40-4B2C-A24D-529925512628.jpeg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Wow, I'd love to see some of your work, love the Japanese style - sounds like you've got quite a bit of time in this.

Funny, "some guy" I know, is thinking about the names of his wife and daughter, in Katakana (modern Japanese syllabary) down each arm.

I only have one word/symbol which is "water" since my name has a water element. on my bicep, it is small and part of a Sashimono (Flag used to display clan symbols). My forearm tattoo is posted in one of the picture threads. The rest I haven't posted. My left arm has a few pieces that are not Japanese, the rest is all Japanese.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Fantastic post, and thanks for sharing.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Bad tattoos, I hear you say? Feast your eyes on this puppy.

Neelix... Really?! lol. Wow.

I have a huge aversion to needles to the point where having blood drawn resulted in nurses freaking out cuz I'd pass out. Didn't help they could never find my veins anyway.

I find a lot of tats pretty off putting - my office is down the block from a tat parlor. Would I treat someone different with a tat? no. The small non showy ones I find pretty interesting and cool.

Yeah, no... not for me. My wife and I have 0. :p

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don't have any problems with people doing whatever tattoos they want and wherever they want. Really, it's their decision. Some are weird and I might not like them, but to each their own.
In my personal case, I don't have one, and will never have one either. I don't like the concept of it. Of having something that will deteriorate - as many have said - and something that cannot be easily removed.
Just my humble opinion.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
It's not at all my taste, but it's not something I judge people on. I've seen interesting ones and artistic ones, but never anything I'd want to permanently alter my body with.

BTW, this may seem a bit odd, but I also won't date women with tattoos. There again, I don't have a problem with them in general but I just don't like them personally. It's one of those things I find out about early in a relationship(not just current but future) and it's just one of those little things that's a deal breaker for me. I know I'll probably get crucified for saying that, but at the same time I'm not going to try and change someone's mind or keep them from getting one. I just like to choose people who feel the same way as I do about that particular topic(of course it's down behind a lot of things I consider more important).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a huge aversion to needles to the point where having blood drawn resulted in nurses freaking out cuz I'd pass out. Didn't help they could never find my veins anyway.

I hear that. I once had blood drawn and then had to go lie down in the waiting area afterwards because I was going to pass out.

Every time I get a blood draw the nurse has to take off the strap that they bind your arm with and tell me to open my hand - otherwise blood comes out very, very slowly ('cause I'm stressed).

…my office is down the block from a tat parlor.

There is a tattoo parlor directly across the street from us (where I work) - and not one of those wide city avenue type streets either, a normal street.

My wife and I have been in there, back when it was a metaphysical shop. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.