Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I am 98% positive that I will never have a tattoo of any sort. (GenX here)

I avoid anyone IRL, or on the "dating" apps, that have tattoos above and beyond simple, little, discrete, tasteful ones. In my mind, these types of people are probably doing other crazy things that I don't want to get involved with (smoking, drinking, drugs, or etc.)

Rarely do I see a tattoo that I dig - the other day there was this one guy who had a cute little starfleet tat on his chest near his shoulder - that one was kinda cool, and covered when he has a shirt on.

I saw some guy with a little keystone symbol on one of his pecs, which prob means he's from here in Pennsylvania. That was tasteful.

In my line of professional business: if I were a hiring manager, I should not be able to see a tattoo on a applicant.

Tattoos look horrible on aging people, especially as skin sags and the tattoos show signs of fading.

To each their own, though.

Last edited:

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Yuck.

My grandfather had an anchor tatoo on his forearm and he said it was the stupidest thing he did in his life. He made me swear I'll never get a tatoo, which is easy, I think they're horrible, and the more time passes, the worse they get.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think they're horrible
To each his own, and its fine that you feel that way, but many others love them.

and the more time passes, the worse they get.
While I'm no tattoo expert (by a long shot) I thought I read that technology and techniques have improved to a point where this is less of an issue. But it is true, you're injecting a foreign agent into your body and its going to fight that, which is why they look blurry on old timers.

I've been told that you can get a touch up, to tighten up the lines and what not.

I've seen a lot of really great tattoos on people that have stood the test of time, and so I don't think you can say every tattoo will look horrible.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
To each his own, and its fine that you feel that way, but many others love them.
Absolutely. I have a friend who spent the equivalent of approx. $4260 a couple of months ago to get a full-sleeve tatoo. Honestly, I couldn't believe the price and I was convinced he was pulling my leg, but he says such are the prices in Switzerland. I think it's completely bonkers but there you go, to each their own!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
$4260 a couple of months ago to get a full-sleeve tatoo.
There are certain things that you don't want to cheap out on
main-qimg-fcf4cd973087e5446688bbd95b4e7dc4.webp

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I could be wrong since I don't have tattoos on my old body, but I wonder is the shape or dimensions of a tattoo on one's breast, or belly, or shoulder, etc., changes as one ages? How about when one gains a lot of weight and gets a new tattoo, then loses enough weight to become slim and fit?

Reactions: Huntn

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t mind tattoos on other people but would never get one myself. I’ve had girlfriends in the past who have had them and I’ve expressed interest for them, I just know I’d get very bored and regret any tattoo I’d get. Unfortunately, you do get judged for them generally and they often get stereotyped. I hate face and neck tattoos I must add and sleeves. I don’t mind subtle ones in places that can be hidden.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Interesting that there is a segment that not only dislikes tattoos, that they wouldn’t even go out with someone who has a tattoo. But I have NOT heard the opposite - “ I love tattoos and would ONLY go out with some with a tattoo”

Is there something about having a tattoo that makes one more accepting of others?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Interesting that there is a segment that not only dislikes tattoos, that they wouldn’t even go out with someone who has a tattoo. But I have NOT heard the opposite - “ I love tattoos and would ONLY go out with some with a tattoo”

Is there something about having a tattoo that makes one more accepting of others?
In my personal experience, there seems to be a high correlation between people with tattoos (that aren’t biker/gang ones) and openly accepting people’s life choices 🤷‍♂️

Some of the friendliest people I know look like the guy at the bar you wouldn’t dare mess with.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Comment on facial tattoos. When I got my last tattoo a couple of years ago there was another artist there that only did a type of facial tattoos and almost everyone there was a women waiting for her. She specialized in tattoos around the eyes for women. Specifically “filled in” eyebrows and permanent eye liner.

These were not Groucho eyebrows, these were amazingly skillful works of art. She originally started just doing eyebrows for women under going chemotherapy, to help with self esteem issues. Now all she does is “permanent” eye makeup full time.

Who knew?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Tattoos are awesome, but like all art, there’s good stuff and then there’s tasteless stuff. I admire people who can afford to get nice tattoos, anyways. I’d probably get some if I wasn’t so indecisive about what to get… so I guess I’ll just appreciate other people’s tattoos instead

Reactions: Huntn and Chuckeee

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I have one tattoo that I got when I was about 22. I'm 54 now and have never gotten another. I always toyed with the idea but just never did. I have nothing against them and like looking at other people's tattoos. I've seen some really cool work in my day.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I hate needles so no body mods for me. Also I heard it is addictive so it would divert money from buying Apple hardware. :(

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Yuck.

My grandfather had an anchor tatoo on his forearm and he said it was the stupidest thing he did in his life. He made me swear I'll never get a tatoo, which is easy, I think they're horrible, and the more time passes, the worse they get.

I think that can be said about pretty much anything on the human body, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: NT1440

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
There are certain things that you don't want to cheap out on
Trash bags.😉 Anyone who's ever learned that lesson the hard way never forgets.😐
I've seen good tattoos used to cover up a scar. Those are well worth the $$$ as the artist will incorporate the scar into the tattoo. There are lots of pictures of tattoos used to hide scars that's amazing.

Linkbill

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Charlotte
Interesting story. I waited a long time for my first tattoo and thought that I wouldn’t be able to stop after. I did the first one in 2017 and the second one only in 2022. While I only have 2 of them, I am constantly in search of cool artists and their sketches, and only after finding them do I decide to buy a new one.

Reactions: Huntn and Chuckeee

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Trash bags.😉 Anyone who's ever learned that lesson the hard way never forgets.😐
Amen to that, - a heartfelt and profound amen - and I'm laughing reading this.
I've seen good tattoos used to cover up a scar. Those are well worth the $$$ as the artist will incorporate the scar into the tattoo. There are lots of pictures of tattoos used to hide scars that's amazing.
This is a use of tattoos that I can fully understand and am sympathetic towards.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I could be wrong since I don't have tattoos on my old body, but I wonder is the shape or dimensions of a tattoo on one's breast, or belly, or shoulder, etc., changes as one ages? How about when one gains a lot of weight and gets a new tattoo, then loses enough weight to become slim and fit?
This. very much, plus I was not ready to commit, because back in my prime, the only way to get rid of one was to scrape it off. 😬

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When I was growing up in the 1970’s, the only people that had tattoos where people who’d been in the navy or prison.
I was sitting in Olongapo restaurant circa 1983, where I spied this ancient sailor (USN) with a multitude of tattoos including an anchor on his forearm, and without a word between us, he convinced me never to mark my body. 🤔

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
Hard pass on tattoos. How you present your body to the world is an expression of how you want the world to see you. Many tattoos are just narcissism exposed, and a lack of respect for one’s own body. Of course, many are not that at all, and are honest expressions of deeply held ideals or beliefs, but I’m still not a fan.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
My single tattoo is not visible to the world, so the world has no reason to judge it. As other said, sometimes tattoos can be there to cover a scar. Mine is there to cover an emotional scar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.