Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nadnosliw

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
Because they’re designing for the new sale, rather than for long term usability.

Absolutely. It's like they have to have something to show for all their hard work so we should therefore pay for it.
[doublepost=1484156297][/doublepost]
Yes, it's based on the revision of Notification Center from 10.11.6.

Excellent. Are there any instructions anywhere for how to do this?

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016
Absolutely. It's like they have to have something to show for all their hard work so we should therefore pay for it.
[doublepost=1484156297][/doublepost]

Excellent. Are there any instructions anywhere for how to do this?

As far as I'm aware, no. It was part of my own research into the Notification Center issue.

mhjcheung12

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
Dark Notification Center, you say? ;)

zPuW0kO.png

How did you manage to get the dark mode notification center? Would you mind posting instructions for how to port from El Capitan?

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016
No plans to make an app at the moment, it must be done manually at your own risk.

Tested in 10.12.4 to still work, but new instructions must be followed:

In Terminal, unload Notification Center:
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist
killall NotificationCenter

Replace /System/Library/Frameworks/NotificationCenter.framework and /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app with the ones in the patch, then restart macOS.

Reload Notification Center:
launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist

Restart macOS once more.

This is untested in anything above 10.12.4, so backup the original files just in case. It's also probably not update-proof, and you may need to replace the components every so often.

http://fox.furcode.co/macOS/DarkNotificationCenter-foxlet.zip

Last edited:

heldausberlin

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Hi, I installed this patch successful but unfortunately the night shift mode has gone caused by the 10.11 theme.
Is there a way to use the Sierra layout of the notification center with black/dark background?

Atchoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
Norway
Still works on 10.12.5

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 15.16.43.png

I don't have any issues with night shft, or any other side effects for that matter (that I can see right now, at least). I've been running OS X with dark notification center UI for about 8 hours. Oh...there's one side effect though: Siri Today widget and the Social widget started working for the first time in 8 months ‍

edit: Now I understand what you meant, when you said the Night shift option was gone. It's no big deal for me though, so I'll gladly "trade that in" for a dark UI. You can edit the Night shift stuff from Display preferences though.
[doublepost=1500472116][/doublepost]https://github.com/jenghis/nshift

Last edited:

berrymetal

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Guys, Something went wrong and I lost the original PLIST file and the FRAMEWORK from macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Can someone send them to me? Thanks!

Edit: A friend sent me the files, so i'm good!

Last edited:

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
No plans to make an app at the moment, it must be done manually at your own risk.

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist

Replace /System/Library/Frameworks/NotificationCenter.framework and /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app with the ones in the patch, then restart macOS.

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist

Restart macOS once more.

This is untested in anything above 10.12.4, so backup the original files just in case. It's also probably not update-proof, and you may need to replace the components every so often.

Thank you @foxlet !

glimmeringsunflower

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2017

Restart macOS once more.

hi, it works!! great work and thank you foxlet!
but i have 1 problem after doing this; my notification alerts are not popping up in the screen, and not visible in notification tab either. can anyone help..? please..?

thanks in advance!!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Just tried these "dark" patch files on my MacPro 3,1 running a patched version of Sierra and they worked just fine.
Gotta love the new-look dark notification panel.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 9.55.25 AM.png

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
When you turn on 'use dark menu bar and dock' in Sierra, notification center no longer goes dark too. Is there a terminal tweak I can do to change it?

Sierra is great, but that one nuance just sticks out.

Yep... like a sore thumb

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 3.34.13 am.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 3.34.13 am.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 483

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
When you turn on 'use dark menu bar and dock' in Sierra, notification centre no longer goes dark too. Is there a terminal tweak I can do to change it?

In the almost a year and a half since the OP's original post it looks like this issue may have been been corrected.
Works fine for me with dark mode on...

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 1.36.01 PM.png

Last edited:

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
It has not been fixed for me. I am currently on macOS 10.13.2 (17C88). There is one more software update left in the App Store (macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Developer Beta 2), would that fix that issue?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
For anyone trying to use Foxlet's hack, you may have to completely disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) before you even use the Terminal to turn off Notification Center in step 1.

And it's likely that Notifications aren't going to work (any notifications already in NotificationCenter will disappear and no new ones will show up)—and some of the ControlCenter Widgets that involve interaction from you (like calculator) won't work, though some appear to work fine.

I've tried this hack on 4 different machines (all running HighSierra 10.13.3 beta) and while they all get the dark appearance, none of them actually work with this hack—though they all fail in different ways. Perhaps it's because I'm running the beta on all the machines.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
For anyone trying to use Foxlet's hack, you may have to completely disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) before you even use the Terminal to turn off Notification Center in step 1.

And it's likely that Notifications aren't going to work (any notifications already in NotificationCenter will disappear and no new ones will show up)—and some of the ControlCenter Widgets that involve interaction from you (like calculator) won't work, though some appear to work fine.

I've tried this hack on 4 different machines (all running HighSierra 10.13.3 beta) and while they all get the dark appearance, none of them actually work with this hack—though they all fail in different ways. Perhaps it's because I'm running the beta on all the machines.
Since my previous post I have removed the hack and reverted back to the original NC color.
While it originally looked good there were several things that did not work properly, so for me at least it was a no-go.

Reactions: martyjmclean
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.