Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Normally I'd say that the iPod touch will be silently discontinued by the end of 2022 (and I still do). The only reason I believe there is a slight chance of an update is because Apple Music now offers a level of lossless that is unplayable on all of their current devices without non-Apple branded accessories. While this is a niche of a niche, it's very un-Apple. Once the business POS market dries up, the only chance the iPod touch has is to update it meaningfully while retaining the headphone jack and giving it a powerful DAC and obscene price to appeal to the music enthusiast market.

I think that's unlikely, but I can't see any other justification. I would certainly buy one. Not because I can appreciate lossless, but because I like having a dedicated music device. As an owner of both the 6th generation and 7th generations in the past, the current battery life makes them unusable.

Reactions: macsound1

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Next refresh of the iPod touch may come as early as year 2024 as the upgrade cycle appears to be every 5 years.

It may reuse the design of the iPhone 8 or SE 2nd Edition. The $199 base model may have 64GB or 128GB of storage and use the A15 Bionic chip.

I think the iPod touch's market is as a retailer's POS.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Really? I just checked on my SE1 which should be the same. It looked fine, but not sure we’re talking about the same thing. Any chance you could post a screenshot?

Sorry for the delay.

image0.jpg

It just *barely* fits there at the bottom.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Having the A10 chip, it will probably get one more update (iOS 16), possibly two at most. So curious what will happen after that!

Reactions: mikehalloran

OneGrit

macrumors member
May 12, 2021
Richmond, British Columbia
The iPod Touch is a niche device for a niche market at this point. The people who bought it in the 2000s and through the early (to mid?) 2010s are no longer in the market for such devices like this. Smartphones have decreased in price to the point where the need to dual wield a basic phone and a Touch is no longer a thing, while parents have switched to tablets when buying smart devices for their kids. The iPod is now listed under the music section on Apple's website, indicating that they're pushing it as a music player, and at least some individuals are buying it to use as such. Individuals like Wade Nixon (DankPods) who want exactly what the iPod is: a dedicated music player with lots of internal storage for downloads and audio files that can also play games like GTA Vice City and run iPhone apps. Obviously, most consumers aren't seeking such a device for such a use case so the iPod could either be killed off or kept around (in which form, I don't know) depending on the niche market's size.

Reactions: Sword86

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Like some others have said, I think the only realistic way Apple keeps the Touch around would be to make it a great music device--lossless audio, high-end DAC, and a lot longer battery life than the current models have. I bought a 6th gen back in 2015 (I think, or whenever it came out) to test iOS public betas on and it didn't do well in the battery department even as a brand new device. Apple would really need to make this a hardcore audiophile-level device with excellent battery life for it to have a chance of surviving the next product purge. Do I think they'll do that? Not at all, they'll probably just silently push it out to the pasture.

Reactions: adib

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Like some others have said, I think the only realistic way Apple keeps the Touch around would be to make it a great music device--lossless audio, high-end DAC, and a lot longer battery life than the current models have. I bought a 6th gen back in 2015 (I think, or whenever it came out) to test iOS public betas on and it didn't do well in the battery department even as a brand new device. Apple would really need to make this a hardcore audiophile-level device with excellent battery life for it to have a chance of surviving the next product purge. Do I think they'll do that? Not at all, they'll probably just silently push it out to the pasture.
Battery life is great but only when used purely as a music player. Compression level is set at 256 mp3 — acceptable for casual listening but not great. 320 mp3 is not an option and even 256GB as I have on my Touch 7 isn’t large enough for many uncompressed files. Debating whether to keep or sell.

So, while I agree with you that a high end Touch would be great, I’m not really seeing that Apple will make one available. The world is not exactly clamoring for such a device.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro 1TB on order. It will be interesting to see how it performs as a high end music player.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

why would you want long battery life if you’re going to use it with a DAC fixed in one location?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have an iPhone 13 Pro 1TB on order. It will be interesting to see how it performs as a high end music player.
I've set up a custom Focus mode that disables all notifications except for a few important people and disable all but my special music home screen. I'm hoping to be able to replicate a "Music Mode" or DAP setup and not worry about a second device.

Given my reliance on Smart Playlists, none of the third party options for DAPs appeal to me (most can't even handle basic playlist management). I've used an iPod classic and both the 6th and 7th generation iPod touch and I think the battery life is terrible. Even with only 1-2 hours of use a day in airplane mode it wouldn't get through a week. Taking a 2 hour nap while streaming internet radio with the screen off took 30%.

If I'm going to have a second device, I don't want to even have to think about battery life. Once a week of charging and sync to my iMac should be enough.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Reactions: Sword86

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I've set up a custom Focus mode that disables all notifications except for a few important people and disable all but my special music home screen. I'm hoping to be able to replicate a "Music Mode" or DAP setup and not worry about a second device.

Given my reliance on Smart Playlists, none of the third party options for DAPs appeal to me (most can't even handle basic playlist management). I've used an iPod classic and both the 6th and 7th generation iPod touch and I think the battery life is terrible. Even with only 1-2 hours of use a day in airplane mode it wouldn't get through a week. Taking a 2 hour nap while streaming internet radio with the screen off took 30%.

If I'm going to have a second device, I don't want to even have to think about battery life. Once a week of charging and sync to my iMac should be enough.

That. When I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to an Xs, I kept the 7+ thinking, At last, an iPod with truly decent battery life! (even better because I had Apple replace the battery for $19 a month earlier). But I found the size still too big for my hand and later sold it on eBay. A used SE with a fresh battery ought to do exactly what you want. Not seeing those in the Refurb Store (oldest is the 8 but that should work) but you can find them on eBay.
iPhones in Refurb Store

They do make mobile DACs, no? A quick Google search will show you hundreds of results for DACs that can be used on the go. Here's a link:

A heck of a lot of parroting manufacturers' self serving marketing nonsense in that article but the right user might find it useful (even if I'm not one of those users). Thanks for posting it.

I've just listed my 256GB Touch 7 in the buy and sell here. Not in a hurry but if I find the right buyer, that will be great.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
With all the current talk of component shortages and Apple being environmentally friendly and all, I don’t understand why it is still being sold. I mean that thing sells for 199$ for 32GB, while we can get an iPhone SE 64GB for 399$. Do you know anyone near you still using an iPod of any kind in 2021, let alone buying it? What for? ??‍♂️

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I mean I have a 128GB current model Touch. I use it for music and YouTube videos, generally every day.

If they release an eighth gen, I'll buy it too.
I use my 6th gen iPod Touch every day as well. However, I find it to be woefully inadequate as a dedicated media player. Relying on a touchscreen for everything except for volume up/down is not a great experience for a media player.

I had forgotten what dedicated media players could be like until I recently received my Fiio M7. It's no iPod Classic, but it is a great alternative for new devices.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Worth noting there's quite a community around maintaining and upgrading the iPod Classic in its many forms, so you can certainly still rock out with one of those.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Do you know anyone near you still using an iPod of any kind in 2021, let alone buying it?

My kids got theirs for Christmas 2020. They still use them daily for games and listening to stories & music at night. When the time comes to replace them, though, it'll be iPads rather than another iPod touch.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
My kids got theirs for Christmas 2020. They still use them daily for games and listening to stories & music at night. When the time comes to replace them, though, it'll be iPads rather than another iPod touch.
Yes, there's absolutely a market for iOS devices that are not phones. The iPad Mini might become Apple's only offering for this user base going forward. We'll know when we know. Till then, there's a reason this place is called MacRumors.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Next refresh of the iPod touch may come as early as year 2024 as the upgrade cycle appears to be every 5 years.

It may reuse the design of the iPhone 8 or SE 2nd Edition. The $199 base model may have 64GB or 128GB of storage and use the A15 Bionic chip.

I think the iPod touch's market is as a retailer's POS.
I don't know that the current iPod can last that long seeing as it only has an A10 chip. When they made the previous generation they put the latest chip in unlike the 5th or 7th gen versions.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
But isn’t it more likely that kids these days get an iPad at home? That’s at least the observation I made with my kids and those in the family.

I don’t even remember anyone who bought one in the last few years.
I thought many kids receive hand-me-down-iPhones as well?

For me, I was a huge iPod Touch fan when the 5th gen came out in 2012, all the way into 2017. I was eager to get the iPod Touch 6, only to realize it still had the same dinky 4" screen. The IpT7 also did NOT improve upon the screen (which were the only reasons I upgraded from the IpT3, and IpT4). I told myself if I wanted a pocketable IpT with a larger screen (around 5.5"), I could just buy a used iPhone, but I ended up never following that.

Nowadays, *if I'd* like to get an updated iDevice, I'd probably get an iPad. The old me used to play many games on the IpT. While waiting in line, or on travel. My time is kinda scarce, so I don't really do much of the stuff "on the go" anymore, so the iPod Touch isn't a good value for the money anymore. For $330 (MSRP), I can get a 10" iPad with internals that are just as good, if not better. One deterioration would be base storage of the 9th gen iPad being 64 GB, as opposed to the IpT7's 128 GB for "+1 storage tier), but I worked it out and it should be enough. However, I'm having a hard time even justifying THAT purchase! I'll wait for bigger sales, which may never occur since they are rare with Apple products, but as with before, I'm in no hurry nor need to buy one. I can still use my iPad Air (1st gen from 2013), but I do spend more time charging it than using it.

Reactions: ericwn

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I thought many kids receive hand-me-down-iPhones as well?

For me, I was a huge iPod Touch fan when the 5th gen came out in 2012, all the way into 2017. I was eager to get the iPod Touch 6, only to realize it still had the same dinky 4" screen. The IpT7 also did NOT improve upon the screen (which were the only reasons I upgraded from the IpT3, and IpT4). I told myself if I wanted a pocketable IpT with a larger screen (around 5.5"), I could just buy a used iPhone, but I ended up never following that.

Nowadays, *if I'd* like to get an updated iDevice, I'd probably get an iPad. The old me used to play many games on the IpT. While waiting in line, or on travel. My time is kinda scarce, so I don't really do much of the stuff "on the go" anymore, so the iPod Touch isn't a good value for the money anymore. For $330 (MSRP), I can get a 10" iPad with internals that are just as good, if not better. One deterioration would be base storage of the 9th gen iPad being 64 GB, as opposed to the IpT7's 128 GB for "+1 storage tier), but I worked it out and it should be enough. However, I'm having a hard time even justifying THAT purchase! I'll wait for bigger sales, which may never occur since they are rare with Apple products, but as with before, I'm in no hurry nor need to buy one. I can still use my iPad Air (1st gen from 2013), but I do spend more time charging it than using it.
It depends though, if you've spent a lot on a 256GB iPhone 13 Pro Max you might want to recoup some of the value when you upgrade by selling it on or trading it in, rather than giving it to your kid to play with. I feel like this scenario was more relevant pre iPhone X. Evidently the iPT does still have an audience, it must still sell or it wouldn't have been updated with the A10 a couple of years back. Whether it really is kids, or point of sale devices, or as secondary devices for those who exercise and don't want to take their huge, expensive, heavy phones is anyones guess.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Oh, as to the thread itself... I honestly thought the IpT would've gotten discontinued last year to a few years back. But Apple can use it as an intro to the iOS ecosystem. I mentioned in my previous post that it's hardly a good value for me, but it is portable, still hardy with decent specs, and can be exactly what kids, and software shops would want for testing. As such, it may be a very small portion of iOS hardware sales, but it can go on. Especially if Apple doesn't mind (IIRC, they're a 1.5 trillion company at this point, and they have said they'd rather steal sales from themselves than let others do so)

It depends though, if you've spent a lot on a 256GB iPhone 13 Pro Max you might want to recoup some of the value when you upgrade by selling it on or trading it in, rather than giving it to your kid to play with. I feel like this scenario was more relevant pre iPhone X. Evidently the iPT does still have an audience, it must still sell or it wouldn't have been updated with the A10 a couple of years back. Whether it really is kids, or point of sale devices, or as secondary devices for those who exercise and don't want to take their huge, expensive, heavy phones is anyones guess.
If music access is seamless (like through some online service), then that's quite ideal. However, a way to transfer songs onto an IpT for local access would also make that quite a viable device for such purposes.

The people who have passed old iphones to their kids are doing so after many years of use. In some cases, it's past 3 years of use, and approaching 5 in some cases. That's about the point where the resale value does plummet (relatively speaking), and one would be less worried about damage anyways (if not already done by the original user :D ). If it's just 1 or 2 years, then reselling would be the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.