Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
The only upgrade that I think would be worth it for the iPod touch if you really do just use it for music is a redesign for battery. The iPod touch has abysmal battery life. So much so that I've consolidated to just using my phone for music.

A combination of the Marvis app, Shortcuts, and iOS 15 focus modes lets me create a true music-focused experience without distractions when I want to just enjoy music. And the iPhone 13 Pro is rated for like 70 hour of music playback.
I suppose a battery, processor and camera upgrade is a pipe dream lol

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney

Nice article regarding the iPod Touch 7G since it’s still on sale

But in the bottom part of the article

“But specifically talking about the Apple TV HD, $149 is a bit pricey for a 2017 device that could be discontinued at any time (did you know it still runs on the same A8 chip as the iPad Air 2)”

The only way IMO for this and the Apple Watch Series 3 to be discontinued this year is days before WWDC like what happened to the iPod Touch’s 4th and 6th generation when they were discontinued days before wwdc and they didn’t get iOS 7 nor iOS 13 when both OS’s were revealed in those respective years. And if both of them the watch and the TV HD don’t get discontinued after WWDC ends it means all iOS/iPadOS 15 devices get iOS/iPadOS 16 since if the TV HD is still on sale afterwards it will get tvOS 16 and it has the same A8/2GB RAM Combo as the iPad Mini 4.

But then there is still the possibility that those two devices may get discontinued in the few weeks as well. Only time will tell

But given the Touch 7G’s better A10 SoC to the A8 and the (I think only) 32bit SoC left in an Apple device which is on sale sold in the Watch 3 as well as its 4 inch screen for its A10 to handle

Um Yeah

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

Nice article regarding the iPod Touch 7G since it’s still on sale

But in the bottom part of the article

“But specifically talking about the Apple TV HD, $149 is a bit pricey for a 2017 device that could be discontinued at any time (did you know it still runs on the same A8 chip as the iPad Air 2)”

The only way IMO for this and the Apple Watch Series 3 to be discontinued this year is days before WWDC like what happened to the iPod Touch’s 4th and 6th generation when they were discontinued days before wwdc and they didn’t get iOS 7 nor iOS 13 when both OS’s were revealed in those respective years. And if both of them the watch and the TV HD don’t get discontinued after WWDC ends it means all iOS/iPadOS 15 devices get iOS/iPadOS 16 since if the TV HD is still on sale afterwards it will get tvOS 16 and it has the same A8/2GB RAM Combo as the iPad Mini 4.

But then there is still the possibility that those two devices may get discontinued in the few weeks as well. Only time will tell

But given the Touch 7G’s better A10 SoC to the A8 and the (I think only) 32bit SoC left in an Apple device which is on sale sold in the Watch 3 as well as its 4 inch screen for its A10 to handle

Um Yeah
I'm seeing the IpT7 32 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB at $180, $280, and $330 respectively. Can anybody beat those prices? Otherwise, not too bad, but great either. The 32 GB is useless for my tastes (I had to wrestle with getting a 64 GB 9th gen iPad, but ended up doing so).

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I wish they would keep some kind of iPod - considering it was the device that started the hype! :)
And also times like exercising and transit where you'd really rather not use a fancy touch screen internet communicator just to listen to music.
I'd love something like an Apple Watch display on a iPod mini chassis. With wifi and bluetooth but also headphone jack and Qi charging.
You can sync music and movies from Apple Music, Spotify, youtube etc and use it completely offline for like 40 hours on one charge.

Reactions: lostPod

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
And also times like exercising and transit where you'd really rather not use a fancy touch screen internet communicator just to listen to music.
I'd love something like an Apple Watch display on a iPod mini chassis. With wifi and bluetooth but also headphone jack and Qi charging.
You can sync music and movies from Apple Music, Spotify, youtube etc and use it completely offline for like 40 hours on one charge.
Even a new ipod mini like what they were trying to do here:

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Even a new ipod mini like what they were trying to do here:

So cool. $100 is kinda steep. The Nano was $149 and the Shuffle was $49 I think.

• Love
Reactions: lostPod

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
So cool. $100 is kinda steep. The Nano was $149 and the Shuffle was $49 I think.
Ive been looking at small android music players that are around $50 ... but have to use an itunes alternative. Its really annoying -- as I do not want to use an expensive apple watch to do what i need.

OneGrit

macrumors member
May 12, 2021
Richmond, British Columbia
It’s official.

Apple Discontinues iPod Touch

My only question— Will my 256GB Touch 7 become more valuable or less the longer I hold onto it?

I’m guessing less till Apple runs out of stock, then a little more, perhaps.
I doubt it would increase in value such as the OG HomePod -- considering there are many generations, colors, and storage sizes of the iPod Touch
People were scalping the remaining new stock of 7th gen Classics in 2014 when they were discontinued. I don't recall that happening to the Nano and Shuffle but I'm not sure how it'll play out for the Touch. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Beitie

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2020
Minnesota USA
We all kind of saw this coming. It's a big part of the reason I bought a 7th Gen when I did. Though I will still say that my 3rd Gen is by far the best iPod I've ever owned.

Reactions: mikehalloran

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Well, there’s the answer. Bummer.

As I posted in the article thread, I wonder if this means Apple will offer software to convert any iPhone into an iPod touch. Meaning, currently an iPhone isn’t great as a secondary device like an iPod touch is. Some Continuity functions are hit and miss, and some don’t work at all. It would be nice if Apple could give an option for an iPhone to think it’s an iPod touch so that it could have full Continuity functions, or at least the most basic ones like outgoing cellular calls and texts via your main phone.

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Idle speculation only.

Now that we know the answer to the OP, I'm un-watching and un-following this thread.
Nah. If anything else, this thread just got more interesting!!

It’s official.

Apple Discontinues iPod Touch

My only question— Will my 256GB Touch 7 become more valuable or less the longer I hold onto it?

I’m guessing less till Apple runs out of stock, then a little more, perhaps.
If it's sealed and brand new in box I guess? Collectors definitely have other motivations. Me... after the IpT5, I wanted an IpT5 with a bigger screen, but that never came to be. I was going to look into a heavily discounted iphone that was 3+ generations old, but I ended up getting an iPad instead.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Well, there’s the answer. Bummer.

As I posted in the article thread, I wonder if this means Apple will offer software to convert any iPhone into an iPod touch. Meaning, currently an iPhone isn’t great as a secondary device like an iPod touch is. Some Continuity functions are hit and miss, and some don’t work at all. It would be nice if Apple could give an option for an iPhone to think it’s an iPod touch so that it could have full Continuity functions, or at least the most basic ones like outgoing cellular calls and texts via your main phone.
What do you mean? An "offline" iPhone without service functions in those contexts function the exact same way as an iPhone with service. You can already do those things on a secondary iPhone. My iPhone 6 lets me do call and text forwarding from my SE.

Reactions: mikehalloran

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
What do you mean? An "offline" iPhone without service functions in those contexts function the exact same way as an iPhone with service. You can already do those things on a secondary iPhone. My iPhone 6 lets me do call and text forwarding from my SE.
Do you mean you can initiate cell phone calls and sms texts from your secondary iPhone using your main iPhone number? One can receive, yes, but one cannot initiate, I’ve found with my multipe tests. Also have you verified each of the other Continuity functions? Again, a lot of the ones I’ve tested have not worked or worked well.
A lot of people push back against me when I post about this, but it always appears they were all operating under the assumption that it works, because it seems like it should. But when I ask them to actually test and verify these specific functions, they stop responding.

Edit- I don’t know how it works when both phones have an active number, my testing has all been done with only one phone with an active number.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Apleeseed84

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Do you mean you can initiate cell phone calls and sms texts from your secondary iPhone using your main iPhone number? One can receive, yes, but one cannot initiate, I’ve found with my multipe tests. Also have you verified each of the other Continuity functions? Again, a lot of the ones I’ve tested have not worked or worked well.
A lot of people push back against me when I post about this, but it always appears they were all operating under the assumption that it works, because it seems like it should. But when I ask them to actually test and verify these specific functions, they stop responding.

Edit- I don’t know how it works when both phones have an active number, my testing has all been done with only one phone with an active number.
Secondary phone has no SIM card. In my brief testing just now it appears to not work to initiate calls or texts that aren’t FaceTime or iMessage calls from the secondary phone. It just says call failed immediately. You’re right. It’s strange though because the Apple support documents make it sound like it should work for incoming and outgoing calls and texts too. I’m guessing it’s because the iPhone assumes it will try to use its internal SIM card for those functions (even if it is set up through iCloud and doesn’t have a SIM card). Weird.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Secondary phone has no SIM card. In my brief testing just now it appears to not work to initiate calls or texts that aren’t FaceTime or iMessage calls from the secondary phone. It just says call failed immediately. You’re right. It’s strange though because the Apple support documents make it sound like it should work for incoming and outgoing calls and texts too. I’m guessing it’s because the iPhone assumes it will try to use its internal SIM card for those functions (even if it is set up through iCloud and doesn’t have a SIM card). Weird.
Thanks for checking, I think you’re the first to do that, and the first to confirm my findings. Yeah, I believe the phone always tries to use its internal SIM for outgoing. I didnt know Apple had any support docs about this. I thought it was too niche of a use. Do you know where I can find them?

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks for checking, I think you’re the first to do that, and the first to confirm my findings. Yeah, I believe the phone always tries to use its internal SIM for outgoing. I didnt know Apple had any support docs about this. I thought it was too niche of a use. Do you know where I can find them?

It makes it sound like any device, including iPhones, can make and receive calls using Continuity here. Though it seems to be one of the only sources that claims this. Most don’t mention iPhone as the secondary device at all.

Reactions: subjonas

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014

It makes it sound like any device, including iPhones, can make and receive calls using Continuity here. Though it seems to be one of the only sources that claims this. Most don’t mention iPhone as the secondary device at all.
You’re right, it does list iPhone as one of the devices that can “relay calls to and from that [active] iPhone”. I submitted feedback that the info in the site is incorrect. Same misinformation in the SMS section, but I forgot to mention that part in my feedback. Hopefully they can figure that out.

Reactions: Slix

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Ok, that was released 6 years ago. What is your point? No A9x are on the Alpha list For iPadOS 16.

It’s doubtful that they will be grandfathered in but, with Apple, we won’t really know till Beta is rolled out in a few months. Till then, it’s wishful thinking.

Feel free to moan about it in June (in another thread) or tell me how wrong I was. I don’t care. It’s not on the list. This thread is about the iPod Touch 7 which does make the list — time to change the channel.
You were wrong. iPod touch does not get iOS 16.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Shocking how they have treated iOS devices by comparison to iPad OS devices. I expected the 7th Gen Touch to be dropped before say the 6th Gen iPad with the same RAM and processor as it given the Touch is downclocked, but they are supporting the 5th Gen iPad. Then again, it might be a blessing in disguise in this particular case. If the 5th Gen iPad user finds it crippled by the software, they can choose to upgrade, as annoying as that might be if it was performing well for what they use it for before. Touch owners are out of options.

Dropping two generations of phones though - it’s not like these are cheaper than iPads so you would expect less support as a result.

I sure hope that iOS 15 is less poor than iPad OS 15 for the Touch owners that have to stay on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.