Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
When you airdrop photos it automatically imports them into the photos app!
Thank you!

It's good to know that's a worst case scenario. I obviously prefer a sync solution because lots of photo albums etc. of "sunk time organization" has gone on in my main library and I don't want to have to recreate that (much less manually keep in sync) such things just on the AVP. But it's good to know at least some kind of "plan B" is available. TY again for the insight.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I can confirm that iTunes Match does work for syncing (MP3s need to be above 64Kbps, though). I have a personal music recording that iTunes Match uploaded and made available to all my devices, including the AVP. At something like $25/YEAR, it's almost a no-brainer. Without it, I'd have to manually upload/synchronize each and every one of my devices. With it, my MP3s become magically available for streaming or downloading to everything and I don't have to bother with any tedious uploading/synchronizing.

Edit: this is for music syncing and does nothing to help with the video problem.

Edit 2: iTunes Match is also included as part of the much more expensive Apple Music, should one happen to already subscribe to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I can confirm that iTunes Match does work for syncing (MP3s need to be above 64Kbps, though). I have a personal music recording that iTunes Match uploaded and made available to all my devices, including the AVP. At something like $25/YEAR, it's almost a no-brainer. Without it, I'd have to manually upload/synchronize each and every one of my devices. With it, my MP3s become magically available for streaming or downloading to everything and I don't have to bother with any tedious uploading/synchronizing.

Thanks so much for testing/confirming that. The more options and routes and ways to use this the better the device gets.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I have all my music (and movies) on Plex.

There is a PlexAmp app that allows me to play all my lossless music right there on AVP. Pretty great actually.
Can you watch content via Plex without the widescreen bars, like you can with native AppleTV content? Everything I see shows up in a 16:9 window, regardless of native aspect ratio.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I wonder if iTunes Match will work on AVP.

It does. I’ve been using it for years to stream tracks in my collection that I ripped from CD’s I purchased or was given or tracks I bought other services like Amazon, etc. To me the ability to upload and stream those tracks on all my devices that first iTunes and now the Apple Music app can’t match to files in Apple Music is well worth $25 bucks a year. They used to exist only on my PC and though I could sync them with my iPod and my iPhone when I used to plug them into my PC to sync but being able to upload them and stream them from Apple’s cloud to any Apple device I have is well worth it.

I was heavy into techno, hip-hop and other some other genres in high school and college 20 years ago and had a lot of CD’s that featured local and international DJ’s who came to Detroit for the techno scene as well as local artists in the Detroit / Flint hip-hop scene that never made it mainstream. I’ve even got a CD I ripped full of early versions of Eminem’s stuff. A lot of those songs did make it to his first big studio album but the versions I have of them had alternative lyrics and were slightly different mixes than what you hear on the studio version of that album. It’s pretty sweet.

So I’ve got lots of track you can’t buy online or stream on Apple Music or other streaming services and I can stream them all on any of my Apple devices once they are uploaded to Apple via iTunes Match. You simply have to be careful about how the tracks are encoded and be willing to convert them into an encoded format Apple supports to get them to upload but the good news is that iTunes and now Apple Music supports playing them even though iTunes Match doesn’t support uploading them so all I had to do was determine which ones wouldn’t upload, re-encode them in iTunes to the MP3 or AAC format and then they uploaded no problem. I know you can still do that with Apple Music as well but I re-encoded and uploaded all mine long before the Apple Music app existed back when it was iTunes only on PC’s and Macs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLewis

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
When you sign in with your AppleID, your Apple Music account is automatically synced.
This is me.
I logged in with appleID and see all my music.
Im in the opposite situation though…i dont want it playing my old songs since i want the apple music version in dolby and spatial audio.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
This is me.
I logged in with appleID and see all my music.
Im in the opposite situation though…i dont want it playing my old songs since i want the apple music version in dolby and spatial audio.

iTunes Match scans your existing library for two kinds of files. Music files it can match to what’s in Apple’s library and music files that it can’t match. For music it can’t match it will then try and upload the track so you can stream it or download it to other devices from Apple’s cloud but since that feature doesn’t support all encoded formats that you can play back you may have to convert them to get them to upload.

You can’t improve the quality of the uploaded tracks but when you stream or download the matched tracks from other device you aren’t getting the version on the device that iTunes scanned. Instead you’re getting the version Apple already has in it’s library. If you delete a matched track from you’re local system you can re-download the matched track back from Apple in the format that Apple has it on their servers.

Back when I signed up for iTunes Match when it first debuted all of my music in my library was on my PC so I did it for two reasons. First I wanted to stream my entire library from any Apple device but the second thing I wanted was to upgrade the quality of the tracks on my device that iTunes could match. Once iTunes Match scanned your music and matched your tracks with what’s available in Apple’s library then you could delete it from your local device and downloaded the track again this time from Apple using the 256 kbps AAC version of the track (with no DRM of course).

So the only tracks that can’t be matched will be uploaded and when you go to stream them or download them to other devices they’ll still be in whatever format or version of the song that you uploaded. If the track is matched then on other devices you are streaming or downloading the version of the track that Apple already has in it’s own library. All you have to do it get the same version everywhere is go back to the original device you uploaded the matched tracks from and remove the version you had on there then download the version that Apple has or you can pass on downloading it and just stream it moving forward.

I personally have a single device where I downloaded a copy of everything I own including those tracks I uploaded that can’t be matched and I make sure that computer is backed up just in case. At some point in my life, hopefully if I make it that long, I’ll be on a fixed income and when that day comes I can ditch the streaming service and go back to having digital copies of the media I love. It’s the same reason why I download every movie I’ve every purchased from Apple to the same computer. Maybe streaming will be so ubiquitous and inexpensive that I won’t have to give it the axe on a fixed income but I’m not going to chance it which is also why to this day even though I subscribe to Apple Music if I really like a song and have played it a certain number of times then I’ll still a buy it from Apple Music some other legitimate service if they have it for less (and use iTunes Match to get the version that Apple has in it’s library).

Reactions: OnTheeRize

ouruniverse06131986

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2021
You can’t sync anything on the AVP. It’s a disaster. See this thread.

I think you’re wrong. I think there might be a way just my opinion cause otherwise it wouldn’t have up to 1TB.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
On the Apple Music app on my AVP, I'm able to hit the down arrow icon in the upper right to download music directly to my device for offline listening. I do, however, pretty much use Apple Music exclusively, so I'm not trying to sync from other sources.

I also use Apple Photos and iCloud, so there's that...

Reactions: HDFan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.