Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hi:

Last year I read the Smart Case for iPad Air had some stability issues. That's why I was considering to buy a Smart Cover for my future iPad Air 2, but I'd like to know if there have been some improvements in the new Smart Case.

Thanks.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Hi:

Last year I read the Smart Case for iPad Air had some stability issues. That's why I was considering to buy a Smart Cover for my future iPad Air 2, but I'd like to know if there have been some improvements in the new Smart Case.

Thanks.

I'd like to know as well. The iPad Air Smart Case was awful. I miss the original design. Thanks for cutting costs, Apple. We appreciate it.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
From what I have read it's exactly the same case, except the cutouts etc match the Air 2.

It's even the same thickness, so your Air 2 gets much fatter.

Shame as I'd get one otherwise.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
From what I have read it's exactly the same case, except the cutouts etc match the Air 2.

It's even the same thickness, so your Air 2 gets much fatter.

Shame as I'd get one otherwise.

Thank you.

I can't understand why they have put the same thickness for a 18% thinner device.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm not buying a new Smart Cover, I never had a Smart Case for an iPad.

The magnets hold perfectly while folding the cover to the underside of the Air 2 and I can sit the Air 2 on any of the folded slits of the cover without it falling.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
I'm not buying a new one.

The magnets hold perfectly while folding the cover to the underside of the Air 2 and I can sit the Air 2 on any of the folded slits of the cover without it falling.

What about the buttons and the camera?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I'm afraid even those who have designed it can't.

I'm hoping that they have several warehouses of Air "blank" cases they need to use up and are just cutting the cutouts etc to fit the Air 2 to fit demand. Perhaps a silent update in the not-too-distant future that is slimmer.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I have the smart case for iPad Air (1) and I am pleased with it so far. It smells like leather even after almost one year (heavy in use, almost daily I put it in/out). One minor thing is that the very small and narrow "bridge" at the Lightning hole is broken (fracture), you almost can't see it. Warranty? Maybe I'll try to get a new one from Apple.

Will buy the midnight blue smart case for my Air 2 Gold.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
FWIW, I have a smart case for Air 2 and it's quite stable in stand mode. It doesn't tip over easily. Perhaps they have made some subtle changes (like modifying the size of the front cover segments, or strengthening the magnet that holds it in "triangle shape").

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
FWIW, I have a smart case for Air 2 and it's quite stable in stand mode. It doesn't tip over easily. Perhaps they have made some subtle changes (like modifying the size of the front cover segments, or strengthening the magnet that holds it in "triangle shape").

I have both Air1 and Air2 in their respective Smart Cases in front of me right now, and I think the magnet on the Air2 case is definitely stronger. As for thickness, well, I compared the two tablets naked before putting them in the cases, and it's not like the difference in thickness is that significant even when naked. 15% difference in an already very thin device = negligible difference in actual use.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I have both Air1 and Air2 in their respective Smart Cases in front of me right now, and I think the magnet on the Air2 case is definitely stronger. As for thickness, well, I compared the two tablets naked before putting them in the cases, and it's not like the difference in thickness is that significant even when naked. 15% difference in an already very thin device = negligible difference in actual use.

So, is the new Smart Case for the iPad Air 2 the same thickness as the old one? I guess that's what we're all so eager to know.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So, is the new Smart Case for the iPad Air 2 the same thickness as the old one? I guess that's what we're all so eager to know.

Well, it's not like I got out a ruler and measured them! Once you put the iPads in their Smart cases, they both feel secure and snug, and the way the cases fit their respective iPads feel the same, if you see what I mean?

Oh, and btw, I had the brown case for my Air1 and my boss got the black case for his Air1, and the black case felt thicker. I mean, it's leather. Not all cases are going to come out the exact same thickness.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
All cases add some bulk, yes, but I've yet to see a case that covers both the front and back of the iPad that is less bulky than the Smart Case.

Yea well not bulky loosely I meant. Some folks are saying it just doesn't mold to the iPad like you expect from heir leather cases have had tons of them on my devices throughout the years. It seems like a bad job in the design where they hardly made any changes from the originally Air case when it's a lot smaller. I read the touchid isn't even comfortable due to it being recessed in the case.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yea well not bulky loosely I meant. Some folks are saying it just doesn't mold to the iPad like you expect from heir leather cases have had tons of them on my devices throughout the years. It seems like a bad job in the design where they hardly made any changes from the originally Air case when it's a lot smaller. I read the touchid isn't even comfortable due to it being recessed in the case.

No idea what the other people are talking about. My iPad Air2 with Smart Case feels exactly like the Air1 did in its Smart Case. Same tight fit, same increase in bulk and weight. And recess in Touch ID? Whatever are they talking about? The case doesn't even cover that area!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Well, it's not like I got out a ruler and measured them! Once you put the iPads in their Smart cases, they both feel secure and snug, and the way the cases fit their respective iPads feel the same, if you see what I mean?

Oh, and btw, I had the brown case for my Air1 and my boss got the black case for his Air1, and the black case felt thicker. I mean, it's leather. Not all cases are going to come out the exact same thickness.

So...is it thinner or not? The general complaint is that even though the Air2 is thinner, Apple kept the case the same thickness. It should be thinner in the case vs Air1 in the case as well.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So...is it thinner or not? The general complaint is that even though the Air2 is thinner, Apple kept the case the same thickness. It should be thinner in the case vs Air1 in the case as well.

The case itself is the same thickness as the previous case. I don't know what the exact measurements are, but say, the iPad Air 1's thickness is 1, and the case was 0.5. Then the case + iPad is 1.5. The iPad Air 2 is 0.85, the case is still 0.5, so the total is 1.35 (if my math is correct). But in actual use, this is such a negligible difference, I doubt you'll notice it.

Remember, these are just made up numbers, but I hope it makes my point!

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I like the smart case for the air 2. This is my first full size iPad so I can't comment on previous revisions of the case, but I do know it fits betterthan the smar case for my old R mini(holds shut better and goods back better also no annoying gap on thE left side when closed)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The case itself is the same thickness as the previous case. I don't know what the exact measurements are, but say, the iPad Air 1's thickness is 1, and the case was 0.5. Then the case + iPad is 1.5. The iPad Air 2 is 0.85, the case is still 0.5, so the total is 1.35 (if my math is correct). But in actual use, this is such a negligible difference, I doubt you'll notice it.

Remember, these are just made up numbers, but I hope it makes my point!

This makes no sense.

If the ipad Air was 1 and the case was 1.2, the total thickness is 1.2.

If the Air 2 is 0.8 and the case is 1.2, the total thickness is 1.2.

The case makes the Air 2 more bulky than it needs to be. In this example, the case could be 1. Still maintaining the 0.2 addition the case needs to add.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Personally, I like the new iPad Air 2 full case much better than the the case for the original Air. The case is just barely less deep (I have compared both side by side), and the Air 2 sits just a little deeper in the case. This lets the case's cover close more tightly and securely over the iPad. I never liked the way the original case's cover could slide around when you carry it around. There is clearly a more solid close with the new case.

The Midnight Blue looks great with the gold Air 2. The leather has a better texture than the Air case. Nice improvement IMHO.

----------

YES, the case is thinner, but barely. I am looking at them side-by-side right now. There is more "lip" to the Air 2 case, which allows for a more secure closer for the cover.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
This makes no sense.

If the ipad Air was 1 and the case was 1.2, the total thickness is 1.2.

If the Air 2 is 0.8 and the case is 1.2, the total thickness is 1.2.

No, I was talking about the thickness of the casing, not the thickness of the case when closed.

That is, iPad Air is 1, the case would add .2 thickness, so the total would be 1.2.

Air 2 is .8, the case would add .2, so the total would be 1.0.

But never mind all that. I looked up the actual dimensions of the Air1 and Air2. Air 1 is 0.29 inches thick. Air2 is 0.24 inches.

That's a difference of 0.05 inches. Not 0.5, 0.05!

Do you have a ruler that can measure that difference? I don't.

Those of you who were expecting to be able to see a significant difference in thickness between the Air1 and Air2 have been taken in by Apple marketing. 0.05 inches is within expected variance for leather cases of this type. Of course we can't tell the difference in thickness between Air1 and Air2 cases, it's stupid of us to expect a difference in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.