Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have held many jobs that required me to use Windows. It definitely has advantages over the Mac, but the biggest is perhaps the far bigger software library that will run on Windows. I have not yet used Windows 11, but do have a Windows 10 bootcamp partition. However it's only 60GB and I have like 15GB free. Is this enough for Windows 11? Since I almost never boot into Windows 10 60GB seems fine for my needs. In the past certain career or company websites required IE but those days are behind use as IE is history. Is Windows 11 worth it for occasional use on my personal MacBook Pro?

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I doubt if you'll be able to run Windows 11 bootcamped without hacking, no TPM chip.

I wouldn't bother trying, it'll still run your software just as well under Windows 10. Now a new PC, I'd definitely go Windows 11.

Reactions: Wesmosis

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
but the biggest is perhaps the far bigger software library that will run on Windows.
This. So much this.

Think of any program/app for any purpose, even niche one. Mac might have it, Windows most certainly has it.

I’ve been running 11 for few months now. To be frank, I am mostly using it as game launcher than anything else these days. What can I say, it’s…Windows. With changes for the sake of change. Such as centering the start menu button (to heck with Fitts’s Law), questionable redesign of Start Menu, different context menu…several things that are bugging me…it does feel as if they included so many things just so that it looks “different” so that they can justify calling it 11 and selling it as completely new OS.

(Yes, I know most of the changes are reversible, either by few clicks or messing with the registry).

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Sirs,
What I disliked about windows 11 is the extra trackpad step to cut and paste an image
or copy anything or do simple tasks were an extra step
the OS is designed for those who are keyboard command aficionados
rather than this who use the trackpad 100% of the time.
the OS is rather clean, efficient, battery hogger with the settings set to "low" and very boring!
also Edge is the main brewers unless one has a Harvard™ doctorates in computer science to change that.
thank you
-Bill Gates!

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
This. So much this.

Think of any program/app for any purpose, even niche one. Mac might have it, Windows most certainly has it.

I’ve been running 11 for few months now. To be frank, I am mostly using it as game launcher than anything else these days. What can I say, it’s…Windows. With changes for the sake of change. Such as centering the start menu button (to heck with Fitts’s Law), questionable redesign of Start Menu, different context menu…several things that are bugging me…it does feel as if they included so many things just so that it looks “different” so that they can justify calling it 11 and selling it as completely new OS.

(Yes, I know most of the changes are reversible, either by few clicks or messing with the registry).
Windows still has a registry???? Did not even Windows 3.11 have one as well, or did that start with 95? I know back in the day when I had a Windows CE clamshell palmtop I played with the registry a little.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Windows still has a registry???? Did not even Windows 3.11 have one as well, or did that start with 95? I know back in the day when I had a Windows CE clamshell palmtop I played with the registry a little.

The registry started at least with 3.1. 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) definitely had a registry, but I know 3.1 did when I had my first PC back in 1992.

BL.

Reactions: Cape Dave

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
When/if you try out the 11, you will be happy/sad to find out that the registry is still waiting for you there.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The registry started at least with 3.1. 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) definitely had a registry, but I know 3.1 did when I had my first PC back in 1992.

BL.
My first year of college (1996) I used Windows 3.11 very heavily. 95 came later for the school. That was my first time ever really using a PC as I had grown up with Apple during my K1-12 days. Mac 7.5 and OS 8 came when I was in college. OS 8.x I remember was big..

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
  • Wow
Reactions: bradl

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I don't mind Windows 11. The most annoying part is the bloatware (TikTok, Disney+, etc) apps that come pre-loaded even on a fresh install.

Also, the piecemeal updates are also annoying. You get about 5-10 weekly updates every single week for either the OS or a security patch.

Reactions: iGeek2019

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Windows has more apps. Yes, but 90% are either crap, or to solve a problem with windows.
All the really useful productivity apps on Windows have a Mac version, or equivalent.
Windows still has a broken privileges system, and still has the registry, which is the entry point for many of the malevolent programs.
The vast majority of viruses and malevolent apps exist on Windows because it is so much easier to break into than a *nix-based OS.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
but an upgrade to Windows 11 is already available. Should I upgrade now?
In my opinion, yes. I have been on W11 on two machines, desktop and Surface Pro laptop, a week after W11 was released. No issues and everything I have tried has worked without issues. I don't really stress the machines using them mostly for finance and photography.

Microsoft has gotten better, in my opinion, with updates and W11 has been out long enough to be fairly solid.

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
There is a trend since Windows 95 that every second version of Windows is cr*p and the other is quite useful.

We're using Windows at work and when Windows 10 is finally not supported anymore in October of '25 we hope there is Windows 12 around by then.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
There is a trend since Windows 95 that every second version of Windows is cr*p and the other is quite useful.

We're using Windows at work and when Windows 10 is finally not supported anymore in October of '25 we hope there is Windows 12 around by then.

Don't know if that works. By that trend:

Windows 95 = good.
Windows 98 = crap.
Windows 98SE = good.
Windows 2000 = crap.
Windows ME = good.
Windows XP = crap.
Windows Vista = good.
Windows 7 = crap.

And this isn't bringing in any server variants (Windows NT, Windows Server 2xxx)..

BL.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Don't know if that works. By that trend:

Windows 95 = good.
Windows 98 = crap.
Windows 98SE = good.
Windows 2000 = crap.
Windows ME = good.
Windows XP = crap.
Windows Vista = good.
Windows 7 = crap.

And this isn't bringing in any server variants (Windows NT, Windows Server 2xxx)..

BL.
What it should be,

Windows 95, crap, but interesting
Windows 98, better
WIndows 98 SE, worse
Windows 2000 Great
Windows ME, Crap, but I liked it
Windows XP, eh.
Vista Total crap
Windows 7, good.
WIndows 10, good, but it took awhile
Windows 11, not looking that good, especially with some of the changes coming.

So it's not every other year, closer to every third year...

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
What it should be,

Windows 95, crap, but interesting
Windows 98, better
WIndows 98 SE, worse
Windows 2000 Great
Windows ME, Crap, but I liked it
Windows XP, eh.
Vista Total crap
Windows 7, good.
WIndows 10, good, but it took awhile
Windows 11, not looking that good, especially with some of the changes coming.

So it's not every other year, closer to every third year...

And that isn't even touching Windows NT.
Windows NT 1 = crap.
Windows NT 2 = crap.
Windows NT 3.x = great
Windows NT 4 = crap, but interesting
Windows NT 4 SP1-SP4, crap (watch me get hacked/compromised in 30 seconds!)
Windows NT 4 SP6 = interesting crap, but watch me get hacked/compromised in 15 seconds!)

Only big win for NT4 is that it beat XP in how long it takes to get hacked after being brought online facing the internet.

And to think.. some places are still running it and XP.

BL.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
And that isn't even touching Windows NT.
Windows NT 1 = crap.
Windows NT 2 = crap.
Windows NT 3.x = great
Windows NT 4 = crap, but interesting
Windows NT 4 SP1-SP4, crap (watch me get hacked/compromised in 30 seconds!)
Windows NT 4 SP6 = interesting crap, but watch me get hacked/compromised in 15 seconds!)

Only big win for NT4 is that it beat XP in how long it takes to get hacked after being brought online facing the internet.

And to think.. some places are still running it and XP.

BL.
I didn't even think of those. NT 3.51, old looking, but ROCK solid. NT4 came and went with me, but overall I'd probably say okay, at least once they got to SP6.

Reactions: Adult80HD

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
I'd rather list it like this:

2000 = good
ME = bad
XP = good
Vista = terrible
7 = good
8 = bad
10 = good

But of course this is highly debatable. I never really used Vista myself and my experience with Windows ME was never that bad to be honest.

Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.