Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
But only for other applications and processes written by Microsoft.
Compiling LaTeX documents is no faster (in fact, it is still 1/3 of the speed of MacOS and Linux for the same task), and installing applications and upgrades is no faster. It might even be slower due to the overweening paranoia of Windows Defender.
I haven't noticed any major slow down and compared to Mac it still holds up well, especially with some of my gaming i do and mult-tasking.

I use windows for my school work as most of my law classes are embedded heavily with Microsoft and we all got free surface pros when we started and aside from some surface specific gltiches, i honestly enjoy it. My mac of course is used strictly for my media editing and entertainment and it connects me to my Ipad/Iphone/watch but they serve two different uses and i am happy with both

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I use windows 11 on my lower specced computer of like 4gb rma...it runs pretty well, for the specs.
Windows 11 is certainly better than 10 but i am one of the few who actually liked windows 8 and 8.1 ( but i was also using windows phones)

Windows 11 is definitely far more powerful and efficient than 10.
I don't understand companies.

Microsoft - Let's do a completely radical change in UI because everyone will be using Windows tablets. Before everyone is using Windows tablets.

Everyone hated 8.1 but it was actually very good. It needed a bit more polish but going to a more icon based UI with live widgets. It was really pretty cool. But then people complained and MS dialed everything back and released Windows 10. They just kept going with 11. Now it feels like a soup. You know a few ingredients here, a few ingredients there, it will all get sorted in the end. Control Panel here, settings here, start menu with list after 3 clicks instead of one.

I actually don't completely hate Windows but what I do get upset about is how little actual development in improving the OS actually happened when instead we got new features. I like new features but I also like a lean and fast OS. There is no excuse why MS hasn't released some of it's legacy software support and program support for really old codecs. Dump a lot of old code. Try to come up with a new and better file system, kernel, and make the system faster using less ram. Features are great but if each new OS is slower than the last something is wrong. It should see saw back and forth. Some release get more features and some release focus on reliability and performance.

I actually wish MS had the balls or will power to actually stick to their guns. They should have never given up on Windows phone. It was tough for them but they had a good product fundamentally. They just needed to be more flexible in their marketing, and should have paired up with Samsung. Samsung could have made the phones, although Nokia did a pretty good job. They just didn't give it enough time to get over the hill. They were close.

I wish they would have done the same thing with 8. Just evolved what an icon based Windows UI would look like. Obviously they went to far in some directions but it was a good enough concept that if it was refined and not completely changed it would have worked out.

Now Windows 11 is okay. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. It likes to poke at me like the menu button in the middle of the screen or the fact that just to get to a list of apps I have to click on the start, then click on apps, then all apps, and then finally I have the list I used to get in Windows 10 with one click. I like things to make my life easier and less complicated. Don't make me do more work to accomplish the same task. That just pisses me off. There is no reason for it, other than to change. For Microsoft UI designers much smarter and better paid than me could you keep in mind that if you are going to change the UI, that would be great because it has been a mess for way too long, but if you are going to do so-please don't give me more steps to do what I used to do, the goal would be the same or LESS steps. Just a non pro tip.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I absolutely hate it.

They removed the ability to NOT group similar items in task bar and it irritates me constantly.

When I right click on something in explorer my most used options are hidden and you have to click "show more options" to see them.

etc etc

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I don't understand companies.

Microsoft - Let's do a completely radical change in UI because everyone will be using Windows tablets. Before everyone is using Windows tablets.

Everyone hated 8.1 but it was actually very good. It needed a bit more polish but going to a more icon based UI with live widgets. It was really pretty cool. But then people complained and MS dialed everything back and released Windows 10. They just kept going with 11. Now it feels like a soup. You know a few ingredients here, a few ingredients there, it will all get sorted in the end. Control Panel here, settings here, start menu with list after 3 clicks instead of one.

I actually don't completely hate Windows but what I do get upset about is how little actual development in improving the OS actually happened when instead we got new features. I like new features but I also like a lean and fast OS. There is no excuse why MS hasn't released some of it's legacy software support and program support for really old codecs. Dump a lot of old code. Try to come up with a new and better file system, kernel, and make the system faster using less ram. Features are great but if each new OS is slower than the last something is wrong. It should see saw back and forth. Some release get more features and some release focus on reliability and performance.

I actually wish MS had the balls or will power to actually stick to their guns. They should have never given up on Windows phone. It was tough for them but they had a good product fundamentally. They just needed to be more flexible in their marketing, and should have paired up with Samsung. Samsung could have made the phones, although Nokia did a pretty good job. They just didn't give it enough time to get over the hill. They were close.

I wish they would have done the same thing with 8. Just evolved what an icon based Windows UI would look like. Obviously they went to far in some directions but it was a good enough concept that if it was refined and not completely changed it would have worked out.

Now Windows 11 is okay. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. It likes to poke at me like the menu button in the middle of the screen or the fact that just to get to a list of apps I have to click on the start, then click on apps, then all apps, and then finally I have the list I used to get in Windows 10 with one click. I like things to make my life easier and less complicated. Don't make me do more work to accomplish the same task. That just pisses me off. There is no reason for it, other than to change. For Microsoft UI designers much smarter and better paid than me could you keep in mind that if you are going to change the UI, that would be great because it has been a mess for way too long, but if you are going to do so-please don't give me more steps to do what I used to do, the goal would be the same or LESS steps. Just a non pro tip.

I agree with you for the most part. I really did enjoy windows phone and I was a die hard lumia girl. But there was absolutely no way it was going to be able to survive. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the windows phone OS. It worked well (windows 10 mobile is another story lol ) for what it was. We got phones like the lumia 1020 with its 41 megapixel camera that was amazing. The hardware was fine. And Samsung and htc did release phones but once Microsoft put all focus on Nokia they felt as if they really had no real reason to support their devices.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I absolutely hate it.

They removed the ability to NOT group similar items in task bar and it irritates me constantly.

When I right click on something in explorer my most used options are hidden and you have to click "show more options" to see them.

etc etc
But it being Windows, both those things are changeable. The context menu can be brought back with a registry edit, and the non grouped icons can be brought back with a third party app..

That's one thing microsoft allows and Apple doesn't, customization.

For me, I did the regedit for the context menu, but the separate icons are not something I need, just hovering over the taskbar icon brings up the separate windows. The only thing I didn't like about Windows 11 is some under the covers stuff for the QUIC protocol, but I figured out a workaround. They really do advance things while mostly keeping backwards compatibility a must, which as an IT manager, I can't help but liking.

Reactions: DCBassman

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
But it being Windows, both those things are changeable. The context menu can be brought back with a registry edit, and the non grouped icons can be brought back with a third party app..

That's one thing microsoft allows and Apple doesn't, customization.

For me, I did the regedit for the context menu, but the separate icons are not something I need, just hovering over the taskbar icon brings up the separate windows. The only thing I didn't like about Windows 11 is some under the covers stuff for the QUIC protocol, but I figured out a workaround. They really do advance things while mostly keeping backwards compatibility a must, which as an IT manager, I can't help but liking.
Neither of those is an option for me. My work requires us to use locked down versions of Windows where we don't have admin rights. No regedit and no third party software so I'm stuck with this UI that I hate.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Neither of those is an option for me. My work requires us to use locked down versions of Windows where we don't have admin rights. No regedit and no third party software so I'm stuck with this UI that I hate.
You might try talking to them, or your boss. It might not do any good, but then again, maybe it will. Keeping employees happy is part of their job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.