Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YooDj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2023
You know, I'm in business, so I have a lot of things to charge my phone.
I usually charge through the Lightning port about 10 times a day with Apple Genuine Charger and Lightning Cable.
Is this not a problem with the life of the Lightning port?

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
As long as you keep it clean by not stabbing it with anything that could damage the contacts inside it’s a very robust piece of hardware. Much more so than USB-C in my experience.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Im an iPhone nerd. NEVER EVER had a problem with the lightning port. Though pocket link would junk it up in my
iPhone 5s but I never hang on to phones long enough that this is an issue these days.

YooDj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2023
Buy a MagSafe charger and charge wirelessly if your worried about it. I've never had any issues with lightning ports on my devices although I don't use it ten times a day
But.... MagSafe is.. .very hot.... ㅠㅠ

YooDj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2023
I have been using devices with lightning ports for over a decade, and I have not encountered any issues with them. I would say the lightning port on the iPhone 14 Pro should perform similarly, if not better.
Thank you So much!
Can I ask you a question?

How does the lightning port loosen over time?

YooDj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2023
The only problem I have ever had on any device with a Lightning port is that the port will sometimes fill up with pocket lint that's easily cleaned out.
Thank you so much!
Can I ask you a question sir.
How does the terminal loosen over the time?

YooDj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2023
Im an iPhone nerd. NEVER EVER had a problem with the lightning port. Though pocket link would junk it up in my
iPhone 5s but I never hang on to phones long enough that this is an issue these days.
Thank you so much!

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
You know, I'm in business, so I have a lot of things to charge my phone.
I usually charge through the Lightning port about 10 times a day with Apple Genuine Charger and Lightning Cable.
Is this not a problem with the life of the Lightning port?

10 times a day? Sounds a bit obsessive to me.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thank you so much!
I've never seen a lightning port loosen over time... Only thing I've ever heard of is someone breaking off the end of the lightning connector on the cord off in the port. Port was fine, cable was unusable...

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
But.... MagSafe is.. .very hot.... ㅠㅠ
MagSafe is not very hot.

I have never had a heat problem when using MagSafe. The battery in my 12 Pro held up well for my 2.5 years of ownership and I used the Apple 20w power brick.
After prolonged heavy usage, I was still at 83% health on my launch day device when I upgraded a few weeks ago.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I generally use the plastic toothpick that comes with a Swiss Army knife, or a wooden toothpick if that isn't available.
The exact tools I use to clean mine if I ever need to connect it via lightning.
I keep a small SAK on my keys, so it’s never really out of reach

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
I'm with the majority here; I've never had a lightning port fail on me on multiple lightning equipped devices (both personal and work devices).

Once a year I give the port a clean out (using a needle, paperclip, toothpick...heck anything small and thin enough to fit inside the port). Takes all of 1 minute to remove any debris within the port...

Last edited:

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
Just a quick warning to those who think their lightning port is borked. Charging has worked consistently but I've been having trouble with connecting to DACs and (sometimes) headphones with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I use my iPhone almost every day with the headphone adapter.

I thought the issue was with the lightning port. It turns out that an upgrade (basically a fresh install as it's a full new version) from 15.7.2 to 16.5 made connecting to DACs just work again when connected with an Apple Camera Adapter Lightning to USB 3.

I did not want to replace my phone and I'm glad I don't have to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.