Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Late to this one. Ditto all the lint comments. Clean mine once a month.

Only thing I've ever heard of is someone breaking off the end of the lightning connector on the cord off in the port.

Seen this happen twice done by the same person. Looking at the cable after this happens, appears that they keep pulling the cable out by grabbing a handful of cable and yanking. In the process, twisting the connector/on an angle/etc. And ultimately making it such that cannot easily extract the blade portion of the connector (snapped off at the blade). Was able to once get some small probes in to pop the spring that holds the connector in place. Second time, too messed up to dig it out, told them to take it to a repair shop to see if they could dig it out.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Have a 6 yr old SE (recently retired) whose port still clicks positively and securely. In fact nearing total depletion of the original battery, that port was daily getting a massive work out from home>car>work>home.

Tbh I had more troubles with 3rd party cables not verifying after some iOS updates. This in turn meant constantly reinserting until a charging status eventually came up. It exponentially and theoretically added much more strain on the port but even after all this torture, it's still like new.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I have a 14 Pro Max and maybe 15 times a day.

I don’t night charge but plug it in at home or in the car traveling. Anyway these connectors are the most durable and secure connectors for phones.

Have fun with USB C as it’s is only friction fit and if that plastic wafer breaks you may have to replace the whole phone like Samsung flagships if the port is soldered on.

Unless you are a youtuber shooting pro rez, not having USB C / Thunderbolt to transfer your photos on Mother’s Day will not matter either way. I love Lightning!

Reactions: Fred Zed

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
I was going to wait for the iPhone 15 pro but decided to go for the 14 Pro because of the usb-c rumours. I don’t understand why they would want to put the usb-c on it instead, lightning is much smaller and so secure, I’ve never had a problem with it. Many of my coworkers with usb c android phones seem to have problems with them breaking over time and one even broke the middle part of it.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I was going to wait for the iPhone 15 pro but decided to go for the 14 Pro because of the usb-c rumours. I don’t understand why they would want to put the usb-c on it instead, lightning is much smaller and so secure, I’ve never had a problem with it. Many of my coworkers with usb c android phones seem to have problems with them breaking over time and one even broke the middle part of it.
It‘s an EU ruling to push manufacturers for one standard only (under the guise of reducing electro trash). Many customers also are wanting this, thinking falsely the port change will automatically mean maximum theoretical transfer speed that USB-C can offer.

Edit: there were some articles here on MR that there‘ll be further iP15 product segmentation re transfer speeds between different models. Not port but rather chipset dependant.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppliedMicro

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
It‘s an EU ruling to push manufacturers for one standard only (under the guise of reducing electro trash). Many customers also are wanting this, thinking falsely the port change will automatically mean maximum theoretical transfer speed that USB-C can offer.
The EU will force Apple to provide USB-C speeds or face large fines. Perfectly appropriate. For those concerned about the quality of USB-C ports vs Lightning, I have Apple USB-C ports on an Intel Mac Mini, iPad Pro (2018), MBP M1 Max 16, as well as a number of WD D50 docks. All of them have been great.

Apple makes very good USB-C ports.

USB-C cables have been uneven. The ports on many of my USB-C drives including expensive ones from Sabrent who should know better have been uneven. Apple will get USB-C right and it will be an improvement to have a single standard. We own dozens of Lightning cables and Lightning devices around home and office so the arrival of USB-C on iPhones will be a mixed blessing. Since we already own dozens of USB-C/Thunderbolt cables and devices, it will save a certain amount of duplication.

hex_Edinburgh

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2022
It does wear over time , but life expectancy should be decent. What worries me is that Apple is recently declining people right to warranty on charging ports.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Personally I’m yet to have a USB C port fail out otherwise stop working on me across multiple devices (phones, tablets, laptops, headphones, earbuds) for several years. Using 1 port to charge all devices is great!

Much better than Apple’s half baked solution of using lightning on some devices, and USB C on other devices.

Reactions: foliovision

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
Apple is recently declining people right to warranty on charging ports.
Apple is putting itself in line for a fairly massive exodus of its customers. I stopped regularly buying new Apple computers and Apple Care as I found the service so lousy. It's cost Apple tens of thousands in new purchases. After Apple tried to burn me on an Apple Care repair, I'll give them as little money and little trust as I can.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

Reactions: Aston441
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.