Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMG35

Contributor
Original poster
May 27, 2021
I've been considering moving to the M2 MacBook Air from my MacBook Pro as I really don't need the MacBook Pro now. I'm wondering how people are doing with the lack of ProMotion? Do you notice a big difference from other ProMotion screens? Any input here would be much appreciated.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I definitely notice the increased smoothness when playing around with a MBP at a store, but on a day to day basis I don't miss it while using my MBA.

Reactions: Tagbert and lostPod

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
I have a 10.5 iPad Pro which have promotion. Honestly unless I keep both side by side and scroll, I cant see a difference. I don't know whether promotion have improved in newer displays.

• Love
Reactions: Wizec and lostPod

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I don't have a M2 MBA, but I have a M1 MBA and a 14 MBP and notice a slight difference between the two with scrolling and transitions - the MBA is ever so slightly more stutter-y scrolling movement in comparison if that makes sense, whereas the MBP is buttery smooth and fluid in comparison. Is it an unpleasant experience - no, absolutely not - it's totally fine. I'd imagine you'd get used to it quite quickly especially when there are other benefits with the switch. This may be less noticeable with an M2 as well

I have a 10.5 iPad Pro which have promotion. Honestly unless I keep both side by side and scroll, I cant see a difference. I don't know whether promotion have improved in newer displays.
I have a 10.5' IPP - 2018 12.9' IPP - and MBP 14. They have improved the Promotion - it's a smoother and silkier experience on the newer devices

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
I don't have a M2 MBA, but I have a M1 MBA and a 14 MBP and notice a slight difference between the two with scrolling and transitions - the MBA is ever so slightly more stutter-y scrolling movement in comparison if that makes sense, whereas the MBP is buttery smooth and fluid in comparison. Is it an unpleasant experience - no, absolutely not - it's totally fine. I'd imagine you'd get used to it quite quickly especially when there are other benefits with the switch. This may be less noticeable with an M2 as well
I picked up that Officeworks 14" 1TB deal a while back ended up selling it for $300 profit, but while I had it v my 24" iMac it was very jarring going between the 2, so noticeable, also flew too lol.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I have an iPad M1 Pro and a 14 pro max. I love the pro motion screen but its honestly been a none issue for me with my m2 air

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I've had multiple devices with pro motion, but it doesn't bother me one bit to not have it on the MBA. Had this thread not existed, I wouldn't even have given it a second thought. Totally forgot about pro motion.

Reactions: Tagbert

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
The M2 MBA feels a bit sluggish due to it’s 60hz display. It’s just not that smooth.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I've been considering moving to the M2 MacBook Air from my MacBook Pro as I really don't need the MacBook Pro now. I'm wondering how people are doing with the lack of ProMotion? Do you notice a big difference from other ProMotion screens? Any input here would be much appreciated.
The best thing to do is go see the difference yourself, I would recommend going to an Apple Store or Best Buy Store to see with your own eyes.

Another thing to consider is your sunk in cost and if it makes fiscal sense, assuming money is an issue. The current MacBook pros are going for 1600 brand new in Best Buy and Amazon if im not mistaken, so assuming you are trading/selling in the Pro, you might have to pay extra to move to the Air 2 unless you are getting the bare basic model that has half the specs of the 14 pro then you might come out even or have a gain of a few dollars. You would have to decide if that is what your really want to do.

Reactions: Donfor39

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I tried both machines side by side in the store mbp and mba m2. The promotion on mbp is not as noticiable as you are comparing screen prom with iphones or ipads that one has it and one has not got.

I think this is because macbooks are desktop machines where you have distance with the machine and you do not touch the screen. Less animations on mac os so user experience is not much effected with 120hz.

For iphone or ipad i would definitelly go for promotion but for macbook it really did not make sense to me for my use case.

Does it better on mbp ? Could be depending on use case maybe for gamers definitelly not for surfing or office apps.

Reactions: lostPod

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
To be honest, I NEVER noticed the difference between Promotion and the standard 60hz, both when I disabled promotion on my 14" MacBook Pro, and when I switched over to the M2 MacBook Air from the 14".

What I did notice, however, was the super deep blacks and the crazy bright whites of the 14" compared to the M2 Air. The difference for a designer is huge.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
To be honest, I NEVER noticed the difference between Promotion and the standard 60hz, both when I disabled promotion on my 14" MacBook Pro, and when I switched over to the M2 MacBook Air from the 14".

What I did notice, however, was the super deep blacks and the crazy bright whites of the 14" compared to the M2 Air. The difference for a designer is huge.
Deep black is because of mini led on mbp having Light sources smaller than a regular led one Like mba. However, still not as good as an oled screen where all the dots are self lightening source.

For best blacks definitelly need an oled.

rmadsen3

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2022
Deep black is because of mini led on mbp having Light sources smaller than a regular led one Like mba. However, still not as good as an oled screen where all the dots are self lightening source.

For best blacks definitelly need an oled.
I know nothing about display technology. I'm trying to learn. Is it correct that OLED has risk for burn-in whereas mini-LED (and IPS) does not?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I know nothing about display technology. I'm trying to learn. Is it correct that OLED has risk for burn-in whereas mini-LED (and IPS) does not?

Yes you are correct.

However Windows laptops have been selling with OLED screens for years and burn in is not a huge issue. It does happen even on phones.

No screen technology is perfect. I like OLED screens and I have has Windows laptop with 4k OLED, MBP with Mini LED and regular IPS.

In the old days we had TFT and WVA which were pretty bad.

After using gaming laptops with 240hz ips displays, to 120hz mini led display on MBP I have come to think unless you are gaming the higher refresh rate on a laptop is not very significant.

To the OP,

On the current MBP 14" and 16" Pro Motion is somewhat defeated by the monitors slow response time leading to text tearing and blur in motion.

Between the Mini Led IPS screen with Pro Motion and the MBA M2 without it you can barely if at all tell any difference unless they are side by side.

I like both screens for different reasons but until we get micro led and less flicker I prefer regular old edge lit IPS like that in the M2 MBA. It just seems easier on my eyes. Would I like Pro Motion on MBA screen sure as the IPS display would have a faster response time making the Pro Motion more noticeable like on the 11" iPad Pro.

That being said there are pros and cons to both types of screens. The edge lit IPS screens can have backlight bleed along the edges of the display and it seems with Apple it is a bit of a lottery if you get a good or bad display. Colors are not as deep and blacks are not as black as the mini led in the Pros. But Pro Motion is almost a moot point. On the mini Led screens you have blooming which is a halo effect with bright images on a dark background and I suspect this is also a lottery in how much each screen actually does this. My M1 Max 16" MBP had this issue and it was very distracting on certain images. In some images it is like a fog or smearing of oil with very bright white lighting even without a dark background. There is also an issue with flickering for those that are sensitive causing eye strain and triggering headaches/migraines.

So it really comes down to picking your poison and living with it. The image quality on the M2 Air and M1 14/16 MBP are excellent across the board but if you like a more OLED type of experience or don't want to deal with edge light bleed and don't mind/aren't affected by the issues with mini led it is a better looking screen.

When Apple announces an OLED display or micro led display on a MBP I might try and pick one up. For now I personally prefer the regular IPS display without Promotion. I love it on my phone and really couldn't go back but on my laptop it is pretty useless except for possible battery life savings when looking at static images or gaming which I don't do on my Mac.

Just so you know I was in a similar position and sold my 16" M1 Max MBP several months ago. I was worried that I was going to miss the MBP and one of the many features so many people talk about on these forums.

In the end I don't regret my decision at all. The M2 MBA for me is a better computer and laptop for what I do and how I use my laptop. I enjoy using my MBA several times more than my MBP and still enjoy it to this day and there is nothing that I am lacking.

When I bought my MBP I was able to get a discount and sell it for close to what I paid and I also got the BTO M2 MBA at a discount so I made a good amount of money after everything was done. For me it made economic sense and I enjoy my Mac more and use it more than the behemoth that was the 16". Coming from many years of Intel laptops I had this idea that I had to have a Pro machine because I needed that extra horsepower but with M series chips that thinking was wrong. The regular M2 without a fan is incredibly fast and powerful in a way that previous airs[Intel] could never match and I realized with the MBP I was lugging this huge beast and using 10% of it's capabilities and at the sane time not enjoying its many features because it was so cumbersome for me to use.

Please understand that I am not trying to take anything away from the MBP 14/16" they are amazing laptops and if you need then the best you can get. But not everyone really needs that level of hardware.

Also despite what so many people repeat over and over again the 14" feels a LOT heavier than the M2 MBA and for me was not comfortable/ergonomic for me.

The 16" is a beast but that is what I want and expect in a large Pro machine-it is all about sustained load and horsepower and usability. Weight be dammed if I get a super solid chassis and tons of decent space for proper cooling. I love the 16" in every way if I needed it and didn't want something more portable.

So you have to figure out how you use your laptop, if it makes economic sense, and you need to see the M2 MBA in person and test it out. These things are so personal and only you will know what works best for you.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
I really don't notice much difference at all.
Yeah this sums it up. Also applicable to the higher PPI IMO. If you don't know anything better you don't mind. But the 14" display is clearly better. Animations are almost surreal-ly smooth, and for the ppi, details surreal-ly fine when you are able to make the comparison.

Reactions: rmadsen3

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
For me I notice promotion on devices that I hold closer to my face (iPad, iPhone etc), for laptops and desktops I barely if at all notice it mainly due to the distance I am away from the screen.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Not been an issue at all, not even a little bit. I've used both and have had zero issues with the Air M2. This is just for me, everyone else experience may differ of course.

DMG35

Contributor
Original poster
May 27, 2021
Since I've started using it you have all been 100% correct in that I don't notice a difference.

Reactions: Technerd108

moro30

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2021
I own both machines, a MBA M2 with 512GB and a MBP M1 max 32gpu 64ram and 4T hard disk. Obviously the 16-inch MBP screen is unattainable in terms of quality and performance, but in the end I end up preferring the small MBA in terms of size and usability, and I don't mind the screen, it's still valid.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I honestly don’t think promotion is as big of a deal on MacBook/desktops/monitors as it is on iPhones and iPads simply due to the fact they are generally further away from your face when in use.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.