Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TailsToo

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
New Jersey
I've been considering moving to the M2 MacBook Air from my MacBook Pro as I really don't need the MacBook Pro now. I'm wondering how people are doing with the lack of ProMotion? Do you notice a big difference from other ProMotion screens? Any input here would be much appreciated.
I was so on the fence about this. I love promotion on my iPhone 13 Pro, and with the 1TB version of the MBP 14 on sale for $2k I was so tempted.

But I went to the store to look at the two side by side, and to me the difference is barely noticeable 99% of the time. Additionally, the extra weight and the side vents of the MBP made it uncomfortable to carry.

I decided to go for the Air, since Apple has refurbs with 1TB at $1700.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
For the longest time I and my wife thought I just liked trying new stuff. It turns out I'm one of those rare ones who is pretty dang susceptible to PWM. Bought the X years ago and I got crushing headaches after using it for a half hour or so. Switched to the Xr and no issues.

I mention this because for a year I dealt with persistent headaches and the like. When the MBP M2 Pro went on sale, I was able to get it for like $899 (between veteran's discount, trade-in, etc.)

Within a half hour of using the MBP, headaches were gone. I kept the MBA for a week and switched back and forth. Anytime I used the MBA for more than 10 minutes, headaches. MBP - gone. Didn't matter what resolution I set it to, either.

It kinda sucks, too, because my use case is such that I'd LOVE to just have basic MBA (maybe 16GB or so) with a ProMotion display...but here we are. :/

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.