Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Congratulations to all those who managed to get their 15 Pro Max this week/weekend.

Given the apparent upgrade of RAM from 6GB (in 12 PM, 13 PM and 14 PM) to 8GB in the 15 Pro Max, I would love to know if you are seeing significantly more apps staying in RAM/not restarting after you have left them in the background for a while when you go back to them?
Especially if you are coming from a 12 PM, 13 PM or 14 PM.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I would be very happy if Bitwarden no longer crashes every other time I open it. I’m not sure if that’s a RAM issue or just the sign of a poorly coded app.

Reactions: Tsepz

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Why doesn’t iOS swapping? We have now 1TB of flash storage, times of 8GB and less are long ago. Would eliminate App killing.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I have always found that the amount of RAM in an iPhone is more related to the computational needs of the camera system than anything else. That is why when you fire up the camera, the phone often boots other apps out of memory to free up RAM. Switching back to your last app means waiting for it to reload. So far, I have not seen this happen on my 15 Pro, so it may be that 8GB is finally more RAM than the camera needs. That’s good news in my book!

It is kind of crazy to stop and realize that my phone now has as much RAM as Apple’s entry level laptops.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
It is frustrating how iOS handles “multitasking.”

I only got my 15PM on 9/29 after a miserable failure of a pre-order experience. But frankly, I have not noticed much of a difference between the 15PM and my 13PM in terms of apps staying open in the background. I have not objectively tested obviously…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.