Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I have a wifi model and I am very happy with the device, in general, but I am wondering how the 3G speed is around the U.S.? I travel a lot and I know for a fact that there is significant differences with my iPhone on the 3G networks. In some cities, usually during large conferences with tens of thousands of people boggling down the towers I have experienced 3G become unusable. For some reason this really is a big problem in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay. Anyway, in general how is your experience on the 3G iPad?

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Speed wise I'd say same as my iPhone.

With the popularity of the iPad I really hope this does not degenerate AT&T's network to much. I live in Puerto Rico and before the iPhone come to PR the network speeds were much better. Of Course I use my wifi when I am in range, but it is quite revealing how much slower the network is now. I am talking from 1/2 to 1/3 the speed before iPhone's blew up here.

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Philly is horrible, Nashville is fast, Tampa is fast, and Houston is good. That's all Ive been to this week.

My iPad gets a much better signal than my iPhone though

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Philly is horrible, Nashville is fast, Tampa is fast, and Houston is good. That's all Ive been to this week.

My iPad gets a much better signal than my iPhone though

That's interesting. Signal strength does help a good deal. Unfortunately, I'm heading back to Vegas for two weeks and speed is terrible out there. Especially, if your staying in the strip. Man I hate that city, such a dirty cesspool.

I was just in Miami beach and it was not too great down there.

lespaul85

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I've been at Disney world all week stuck on 3G and I couldn't be happier. Quite impressed compared to my iPhone. Not that the iPhone is bad but the iPad is humming along flawlessly.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
really good in Austin, but 3G has been excellent in Austin for some time.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I've been at Disney world all week stuck on 3G and I couldn't be happier. Quite impressed compared to my iPhone. Not that the iPhone is bad but the iPad is humming along flawlessly.

That's that processor and beautiful screen at work. It is such a fun device is it not.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
My 3G is fast in the Bay Area. I'd have to say that it is faster than my iphone. The signal strength is definitely better than my iphone. I was also in Reno this weekend and browsed a few sites and the 3G was pretty fast too.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I've had nice results so far with normal web browsing, email, twitter, FB, etc.

I don't think it's A LOT faster than the iPhone 3g, but the extra real estate does give a faster feel for some reason. I guess just seeing the content load in a larger screen gives the impression of faster load times.

Hard to explain. I guess it's more enjoyable.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
That's that processor and beautiful screen at work. It is such a fun device is it not.

IMO, I have to agree that the iPad is faster due to the processor working. Using the FCC speed test app, both are running about the same bandwidth, but actually processing screen refreshes, etc. Has to go to the iPad with its better processor.

BTW, I am getting around 3-3.5Mbps in the Washington, DC metro area

tomashi

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
bay area speeds are ok. i think you would probably get faster speeds on a mifi from verizon but those are around $60/month

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
That's interesting. Signal strength does help a good deal. Unfortunately, I'm heading back to Vegas for two weeks and speed is terrible out there. Especially, if your staying in the strip. Man I hate that city, such a dirty cesspool.

I was just in Miami beach and it was not too great down there.

So you're why my 3G signal has been weak these past few days.

Now it'll be better.
:p

Actually there's been a big conference and it's continuing throughout the weekend.

My iPhone 3G is usually 1.2mb+

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I've had it all over the place.

Blazing fast at 6am, to slower than i thought it should be this morning.

But any of it is faster than NOTHING, which is what i have without it! LOL!!

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
In Portland, OR, the AT&T 3G towers are bogged down all the time -- especially downtown when I need my iPhone 3GS to deliver the goods.

Therefore, I chose the "WiFi only" iPad and got the Sprint 4G Overdrive palm-sized mobile multi-user hotspot. It handles my iPad at 5Mbit, the MBP at 6Mbit, and the iPhone at 2Mbit (when 3G fails).

I also tried the Clear Spot, a similar product to the Overdrive. It's faster on download, slower on upload, slightly larger, and with shorter battery life than the Overdrive. So I'm sticking with the Overdrive and waiting to see what Apple delivers in the way of broadband data support in the next gen iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.