Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
So far not too bad on this end so far....

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 46

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Very fast in Central IL. I'll be in Chicagoland tomorrow so I can see how it's there too.

I get 2.5-3 Mbps down. :)

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Sounds like AT&T is improving their capabilities. I am glad to hear people are generally pleased with their experiences.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
AT&T is under the gun to improve their network. Not only are they under the microscope by millions of iPhone 3GS and iPad +3G users, but I understand Apple is considering ending the exclusive with them. Then there are companies like Sprint and Clear who make AT&T and Verizon look like dinosaurs when they offer customers 10Mbit wireless broadband.

I noticed that the 3G speed on my iPhone has improved recently -- at least in certain locations. Maybe the improvements are already happening.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I've used Speedtest X to check my 3g speed five times. One time, it was about 800Kbps. The other four times were between about 1.2Mbps and 1.5Mbps. It is sometimes faster than public-access wifi.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Atlanta area and pleasantly surprised. I have a Tmo unlocked iPhone and am pleased so far with the Att 3G ... Almost makes me take back 3 years of me talking smack about them ALMOST :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
So far not too bad on this end so far....

Know it is poor form to reply to ones own post :eek:

But so far the 3G experience has been good here. I am still on the $15 plan since activating the 3G service on like the 3rd or so... and under 150MB's so far.

Though I have been trying to use the 3G service only when I really need it - or testing out somethings here. I have been reluctant to use Netflix or the ABC App on the 3G so far. :D

Just did the speed test and got 3274 download.....

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Mine has been an interesting one. It's fast when it works, but that isn't usually the case.

My 3G service for some reason will stop working. I'll have full bars, it'll be blazing a long and then bam, it can't connect to anything. I'm wondering if its perhaps my iPad? I have my iPhone right next to me and it'll work perfectly with the same amount of bars, but my iPad will keep spinning and spinning and then eventually say it timed out or cannot connect to the server.

Even if i put it in airplane mode and wait for 10 seconds, turn of the cellular chip for 10 seconds, or restart the iPad; I still get nothing.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mine has been an interesting one. It's fast when it works, but that isn't usually the case.

My 3G service for some reason will stop working. I'll have full bars, it'll be blazing a long and then bam, it can't connect to anything. I'm wondering if its perhaps my iPad? I have my iPhone right next to me and it'll work perfectly with the same amount of bars, but my iPad will keep spinning and spinning and then eventually say it timed out or cannot connect to the server.

Even if i put it in airplane mode and wait for 10 seconds, turn of the cellular chip for 10 seconds, or restart the iPad; I still get nothing.

Since I am still using the $15 plan and a speed test takes up 10MB it seems I have not tried testing it various parts of the day so far.

What I am finding is that "latency" is the biggest issue with the 3G network... I find I need to restart an App or refresh the browser sometimes...

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Just got my 3G iPad, in Austin TX. It is slow and I have an (E) on the ATT field. I assume this means I am on slower Edge service. I have tried it in 2 or 3 places in central and north Austin and all I get is E speed. Is there a setting I need to change?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.