Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeafsFanNL

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Hi,

I have a mid 2014 MBP. I’m putting off replacing it until Catalina is unsupported. How much longer can I expect Catalina to be supported?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi,

I have a mid 2014 MBP. I’m putting off replacing it until Catalina is unsupported. How much longer can I expect Catalina to be supported?
Following the pattern that Apple has used for years, Catalina will get 2 more years of security updates, and that's it. Apple doesn't publish a support roadmap.
Your computer should eventually be able to install Big Sur so that'd get you one more year of updates.

Reactions: ouimetnick

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Your computer should eventually be able to install Big Sur so that'd get you one more year of updates.

Not sure what eventually is meant to mean here - The 2014 15" MBP I have works perfectly fine with Big Sur already. If it is a reference to the reports of bricked machines though I get the concern and perhaps waiting a bit is wise, but it should already work perfectly fine if one is not terribly unlucky. I don't know how widespread that bricking issue was, but I've had my 2014 on Big Sur for the duration of the beta program and still have it that way - don't know if that spared me or put me in higher risk but all good here :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Not sure what eventually is meant to mean here - The 2014 15" MBP I have works perfectly fine with Big Sur already. If it is a reference to the reports of bricked machines though I get the concern and perhaps waiting a bit is wise, but it should already work perfectly fine if one is not terribly unlucky. I don't know how widespread that bricking issue was, but I've had my 2014 on Big Sur for the duration of the beta program and still have it that way - don't know if that spared me or put me in higher risk but all good here :)
There’s been a problem with the 13” models- the 15s seem to be unaffected. Currently, the 11.0.1 and 11.1 beta 2 installers are blocked on the late 2013 and mid 2014 13” MBPs. Some of these were left unresponsive with a black screen after the first Big Sur release.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Apple seems to support macOS release for 3 years. 1 year while it is the current release, and then for 2 years with security updates after it's successor is released.

macOS Sierra released in 2016, moved to security updates status in 2017 (after the release of High Sierra), unsupported in late 2019.

macOS High Sierra released in 2017, moved to security updates status in 2018 (after the release of Mojave), unsupported as of November 2020.

macOS Mojave released in 2018, moved to security updates status in 2019 (after the release of Catalina), probably will be supported until late 2021.

These are just a few examples. This applied to El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, etc. I'd expect Catalina to be supported for the next 2 years (late 2022) and for Big Slur to be supported until late 2023.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Not sure what eventually is meant to mean here - The 2014 15" MBP I have works perfectly fine with Big Sur already. If it is a reference to the reports of bricked machines though I get the concern and perhaps waiting a bit is wise, but it should already work perfectly fine if one is not terribly unlucky.
You'd think the Big Sur debacle would emphasize people not installing a .0 release. This is not new, this has always been a bad idea, Apple or any other vendor.

The .6 will be plenty soon enough for Big Sur.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
You'd think the Big Sur debacle would emphasize people not installing a .0 release. This is not new, this has always been a bad idea, Apple or any other vendor.

The .6 will be plenty soon enough for Big Sur.

I mean I personally upgrade as a development platform, which is why I was also on the developer betas.

Though I do think .0 *should* be stable enough to upgrade to, I agree that it seems it often isn't

applecare666

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2021
Catalina is the best macOS ever, I really hope that they'll support it a little bit longer - my MacBook Air is not the youngest one, and I don't want to "hack" the Big Sur on it, as it probably would cause performance issues

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Catalina is the best macOS ever, I really hope that they'll support it a little bit longer - my MacBook Air is not the youngest one, and I don't want to "hack" the Big Sur on it, as it probably would cause performance issues
Uh, no, Catalina has had and continues to have significant problems with USB devices. If I could be running Mojave, I would be, but I have a 2020 13" MBP that isn't supported by Mojave.

Hell, if I could be running Sierra, I would be, much more stable.

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Depends what you need. Xcode already forces you to use Big Sur if you want the latest release. Garageband did since Big Sur was released, and most other Apple software will very likely follow.

And AFAIK, Apple removes the older versions from the AppStore. It doesn't allow you to install older versions for your older OS. So make sure you have backups of your apps from the Appstore for the case you have to re-install Catalina.

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
Depends what you need. Xcode already forces you to use Big Sur if you want the latest release. Garageband did since Big Sur was released, and most other Apple software will very likely follow.

And AFAIK, Apple removes the older versions from the AppStore. It doesn't allow you to install older versions for your older OS. So make sure you have backups of your apps from the Appstore for the case you have to re-install Catalina.
I can find back to lion on the App Store.

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
They meant the apps, not the operating systems. That you can't download an older version of GarageBand on the App Store compatible with an older version of the OS
Right. That's what I meant. For Xcode you can get an older copy from Apple Developer. But other Apple apps, and especially paid apps like Final Cut or Logic, you can only get the latest version from the AppStore.

ewu

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
I hope Apple could have a long term support Mac OS,
it could start from Mojave and Catalina.

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Apple and long-term software support... pfft.
They move on to the next thing and cut off old stuff pretty quick.

They do, however, support hardware for a pretty long time. You just have to upgrade to the "latest and newest shiny thing" and "embrace the future" and "get used to it" and some other stuff...

/rant

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Apple and long-term software support... pfft.
They move on to the next thing and cut off old stuff pretty quick.

They do, however, support hardware for a pretty long time. You just have to upgrade to the "latest and newest shiny thing" and "embrace the future" and "get used to it" and some other stuff...

/rant
only iOS software. macs are dropped very quickly (2013 or later) and the unsupported threads on here repeatedly show the older macs are perfectly capable of running the latest OS.

Meanwhile windows 10 runs flawless on my 2006 PC, supports 32 bit apps etc. Despite all of the "bloat" that windows supposedly has, it still boots and runs faster than a modern mac.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Hi,

Apple has supported the past three OS releases for a good number of years now. They stopped supporting High Sierra "officially" in 2020 so you have quite a while to continue using Catalina.

I too find Catalina runs fine (more so on newer hardware). Don't like that they killed 32-bit application support so I still run Mojave on all pre-2020 hardware (that came with Catalina installed). Mojave ran great on 2010 and 2012 MBP 15" machines (recently decommissioned both and sold 'em).

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Apple has supported the past three OS releases for a good number of years now. They stopped supporting High Sierra "officially" in 2020 so you have quite a while to continue using Catalina.
You have another year. If Apple follows the same "unofficial" plan that they have been following, Catalina support will end sometime after WWDC 2022.

I'm not sure what I'll do at that point, I have zero confidence that Big Sur will be worth bothering with at that point, given current history. And no one with a clue installs an Apple .0, so then just wait until whatever Big Sur's successor is might become worthwhile?

I have some time, though. The earliest I'd be buying a new laptop and be forced into a Catalina-successor is 2023.

Reactions: edubfromktown

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
You have another year. If Apple follows the same "unofficial" plan that they have been following, Catalina support will end sometime after WWDC 2022.

I'm not sure what I'll do at that point, I have zero confidence that Big Sur will be worth bothering with at that point, given current history. And no one with a clue installs an Apple .0, so then just wait until whatever Big Sur's successor is might become worthwhile?

I have some time, though. The earliest I'd be buying a new laptop and be forced into a Catalina-successor is 2023.
Somehow for whatever reason my thought is that they might extend Catalina's EOL since it was the last one shipped as the "final" Intel processor release. Big Sur seems fine on M1 mini hardware for me (to do more development related work stuff). Not holding my breath either way- I have zero desire to run "BS" (haha) on any of the systems I use for personal stuff.

More and more I use ChromeOS laptops (~80+% of the time now). Will still need macOS systems for a few things but no reason they can't continue on for that use case even after official OS support ends.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Somehow for whatever reason my thought is that they might extend Catalina's EOL since it was the last one shipped as the "final" Intel processor release.
It wasn't, though. Big Sur is (at this time), although it continues Catalina's downward slide. And no one knows whether or not the successor to Big Sur will be ARM-only or not at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.