Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
It wasn't, though. Big Sur is (at this time), although it continues Catalina's downward slide. And no one knows whether or not the successor to Big Sur will be ARM-only or not at this point.
Yeh I get it... my wandering thoughts were off a bit lol

2020 Intel hardware came with Catalina installed (and no backward compatibility with Mojave, which I would have preferred installing) - that's what I meant by "final" Intel processor release.

Either way, my stuff running on Catalina will be fine for now and if they kill support and updates before US guvt guidelines which they've sort of followed in the past so be it.

88Fiero

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
Catalina *requires* 64bit apps so we have lost special purpose apps that we relied upon daily. Who knows why the 32 bit apps aren't being upgraded: covid death, just too much work etc. Might have to cart around both 7 inch mac minis with me as long as this keeps up.
--

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Meanwhile windows 10 runs flawless on my 2006 PC, supports 32 bit apps etc. Despite all of the "bloat" that windows supposedly has, it still boots and runs faster than a modern mac.
Not sure if you heard but Windows 11 won't support 2017 systems. Needs to be 8th gen Intel and equivalent AMD. People aren't happy about this. But sometimes cutting out old systems is necessary.

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Catalina’s end is nigh, eh? That really sucks. I’m still rocking a 2012 Mac Mini and I know I can get a few more years out of it. I remember some years back, a lot of you stuck with Snow Leopard beyond its support, but how dangerous is it to continue using an older OS without security updates?

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Catalina’s end is nigh, eh? That really sucks. I’m still rocking a 2012 Mac Mini and I know I can get a few more years out of it. I remember some years back, a lot of you stuck with Snow Leopard beyond its support, but how dangerous is it to continue using an older OS without security updates?
I think security updates are important but also think security THREATS are a bit overblown. By practicing safe browsing and download habits, everything should be fine. Run malwarebytes occassionally for peace of mind. I'm stuck at Catalina on a 2012 but have no complaints and dont plan on upgrading/updating until at least end of 2023 or early 2024

mjturner

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Godalming, United Kingdom
Personally, I'm not a fan of using an operating system that's no longer receiving security updates. Your 2012 Mini will run Monterey well with OpenCore Legacy Patcher - I use exactly that combination myself.

Reactions: ProTruckDriver

sysfu

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Personally, I'm not a fan of using an operating system that's no longer receiving security updates. Your 2012 Mini will run Monterey well with OpenCore Legacy Patcher - I use exactly that combination myself.
Thank you for posting about this utility! Had no idea it was possible to run newer versions of macOS on older hardware. Had resigned myself to dumping the computer once I started getting 'shoved off the unsupported OS software upgrade cliff'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.