Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex967CW

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2019
How do you downgrade iOS since Apple stopped signing it? If i could've i'd have avoided the 6 years of Android (who was still doing skeuomorphism ala Samsung) since my iPad 3 and iPhone 4 got iOS 7 and i couldn't downgrade. I tried DFU restore and IPSW of 6.0.1 but it always failed.

When i get an iPad 2 it no doubt would have its last supported version installed (Amazon resales always update the software--my Note 2 has 4.4 Kitkat, vs. 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, my Galaxy S5 6.0 Marshmallow vs 4.4 KitKat) and iOS 9 was as hideous as 7, and i heard it makes the iPad slow

Doesn't the 4S support 4G? Why would losing 3G matter? My dad before he died used the original iPhone! He had it on Tmobile who has a functioning EDGE network still.

Up to about a month ago, it was possible to downgrade some iPhone 4s and iPad 2 models to iOS 6.1.3 (it was signed by Apple for some unknown reason since January of last year). I downloaded the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW and flashed it onto the device, and since it was signed then, I was able to downgrade to the lower version. However, due to a GPS bug that required iOS 9.3.6 to fix the error, Apple blocked the signing of lower iOS versions last month, which means that a downgrade is not possible now through iTunes.

The 4S only supports 3G, as the iPhone 5 was the first 4G iPhone that was released. Since the iPhone 4s is 3G, the device probably won't be able to make phone calls once 3G is not supported on Verizon.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
darn. Oh well, I'm only getting it for the games. I'll just do the accessibility stuff to make it less hideous. Won't be used for anything serious. But if i could get 6.0 back, oh I'd love it. Never liked how 7-11 had the dock looking though. It's much improved as of 13, it's kinda floating more than simply an overlay of frost at the lower 1/3 the screen.

Alex967CW

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2019
Any time an iOS update slowed down my iPhone it was fixed by the time the next incremental update came out. Trust Apple, in my experience their software works as long as the device is still supported, with maybe some minor glitches at worst.
Today, this somewhat seems to be the case (iPhone 6s still performs well on iOS 13) but with some older models, software updates definitely slowed down some devices, especially those with an A5 chip (iPad 2, iPhone 4S). The iPad 2 on iOS 6 definitely feels more smoother than one on iOS 9 (the usability is greatly improved in the older version).

Also i hear the iPad 2 performs awful on iOS 9 so it's not JUST skeuomorphism.
iPad 2 on iOS 9 performs pretty poorly, especially for me. Animations lag, apps crash, and Safari is not fun to use.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I tend to keep my daily driver iPhone until it breaks, its usability is detracted due to lack of software/app updates, or I somehow get a newer iPhone from a family member/friend for no cost (this only happened to me once).

I used my iPhone 4S for 4 years until I got a 6S in 2015. I used the 6S for two years and I planned to use it longer except a family member gave me their iPhone 7 when they got an iPhone X. I sold my 6S and used the 7 for over two years until it met a terrible demise when I had a bad fall while running one month ago.

Now I have an iPhone 11 which I plan on keeping at least 3 or 4 years. I still have an iPhone 4S (on iOS 6) and it works perfectly fine as my running phone (the 11 is a bit too big for my taste when running). I can still use it to call, bring up maps, text, play music, or anything else I need while running.

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
Before the Pro Max I had the 6S from launch day, with two replacement batteries. I retired that device on the Pro Max launch day. I’d like this device to last me at least three years but I may cash it in next year depending on the 2020 redesign.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I change my phone every 2-3 years giving my hand me down to my kid which by the time he gets my next phone is 4-5 YEARS old and though it’s still working I trade him up again.

Very reliable hardware and long software support for Apple’s older phones throughout the years keeps the phone very relevant.

Apple phones hold their value well because of this reason. :thumbs up:

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
iPhones are very good when it comes to longevity and durability.

My mom is still using the 6S+ that I gave her when I upgraded to the iPhone 7. Four year old phone and it still runs like a champ. I had to get the battery replaced but I did that under the program  was doing about a year ago.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I love Apple stuff but I've always seen then super-decline in price. My 6S cost only $149 at Best Buy. That's cheap for a still-supported iPhone. They seem to drop like to 1/2 price two years after their launch.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm contemplating switching out from my current Sony Xperia XZ2 to an iPhone 11 after about 6 years of being out of the apple loop.

I've had my current phone for a couple of years now but I'm thinking of splurging on an 11 Pro and paying for it over 3 years rather than just going for the base iPhone 11 that doesn't have too much in the way of improvements over what I currently have.

I would only really do this if I was sure I would be holding on to the phone for probably at least 5 years.

So, I have to ask, how long do your phones last?

3 Years is do-able if you keep it in good shape and have the battery replaced in the mean time. My 5s i had for 2 years, and my 6s for 3 years. Battery was totally flat after 3 years but other than that it was fine. I now have the 8 Plus since last year but i definitely want to keep it for atleast another year, if not 2 until 2021. I may just need another battery somewhat next year. iPhones even last longer than that, 4 - 5 years with the right care. In terms of updates and iOS versions it's also no problem.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
First iPhone (4s) lasted a little under 3 years until it got bricked by an iOS update and I had to sell it for parts. Then I got a used 5s which I used for about another 3 years, then upgraded to an SE mainly for Apple Pay after I discovered the security benefits. The 5s was sold in perfect working condition somewhat recently so I’m sure it’s still working today. I’ve been using my current SE for almost 3 years now and it’s still going strong. No plans to get a new phone any time soon. Could be another 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 years for all I care. More time the better actually.

A phone is just a tool for me, so I only upgrade when my phone becomes inoperable or if there is a new feature that is mission critical. Apple Pay got me for its security, but since then there hasn’t been a single new feature compelling enough. I would have probably upgraded for the combination of greatly improved camera and quadrupled storage, since those features somewhat help me with work, but having to upsize my phone and give up great one-handed usability to me negates those benefits.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Well I generally don't keep a phone longer than one year before selling it or giving it to a family member.

But I sold and upgrade more when I was still using Android also, now that I'm trying to stick with iPhone going onward, I expect to keep my older iPhones and not upgrade as often. These devices get updates for a long time, so I think they're all going to last better than a typical Android device. My only concern is losing the water resistant seal if I try to replace the batteries in the future.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I have no idea, I upgrade every year.

That said, my son and my father-in-law both got the 6S new. My son kept his until the 11 Pro Max came out and upgraded to that. My father-in-law still has his 6S.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I think that saying to never update the iOS is not exactly accurate. You don’t know for sure how bad it is, because you haven’t done it. Forums will always be skewed in a drastically negative way. Very few people will come on and say how well iOS 11,12,13 work. Way more people will come on and say how the new iOS version “killed my iPhone”. I think a lot of that goes back to the 6 series and it’s 1gb of ram. Of course the newer updates “ruined” the phone, because they were only really optimized for the iOS update they launched with. I don’t see people complaining about their 7+ or 8+ being ruined. Even people on a new Xs series have complained about iOS, but it’s due to the update itself, not the fact it ruins older phones.
Exactly. Once 13 went live, the only issue I still had was Apple Mail was still bugged. Just went to Outlook eventually to solve that one. Even in beta, beyond Mail, I just had some issues with FaceID in a few apps.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I'm probably going to replace my X at 3 years now since the battery can't be replaced (the apple store says the screw is stripped, so cannot open to replace the battery). I've never tried to open the phone myself, and the store is the first place that has tried it so unless a drop (in case) can mess it up it was probably a manufacturing defect.

The battery says SERVICE, at 86%, but it seems to work OK for me. So hopefully can last until next fall when the new phones come out.

I still have a 7+, so I have backup plans. Otherwise, next fall trade in my phone for credit.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'll just keep my 6S until it either dies or if/when 4G LTE joins AMPS and no longer exists. Never worry about Apple product battery life ever. Ignore the Health and enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.